Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2004, 17:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (amit @ Oct. 28 2004,00:22)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]from what i understand the fan is controlled by a thermostat that bypasses all controls incl. the engine switch off switch.
I have noticed this feature only on fiat cars. Wonder if it's a European feature....maybe skoda and opel owners can shed some more light.
Also, i would like know why this feature is provided by the company. Is it in any way superior to other cars? if yes, how? Or how is it different and advantagious as compared to other cars?
The feature makes sense. If your engine is overheated, and you switch off the engine, the fan will keep going to ensure that the engine cools to the required temperature quickly. However, I don't see it as a big advantage.

You may have noticed that some LCD projectors behave in the same way (ie their fan keeps spinning even after the projector is turned off), and for the same reason.
Old 28th October 2004, 18:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

The only other car that I know did this was the Renault 5 GT turbo that I used occasionally - reason being to avoid air locks creating problems for hot starts
Old 29th October 2004, 00:24   #18
BHPian

I've seen this with Mazda MX3. I won't bet on this, but I think many cars in US have this The reason is i've noticed this on my Petra and it sounded very familiar and normal until i saw this thread..
Old 29th October 2004, 00:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i've noticed this on my Petra and it sounded very familiar and normal until i saw this thread..
I don't think anyone is calling this feature abnormal or weird. IT's just different from the other cars and thats why i wanna know if and how it is superior to other cars.
Old 24th November 2004, 04:01   #20
BHPian

this is nothing...i confirmed this with a FIAT technician. when you switch off the engine and only power it on to the battery state (read: no the ignition), the radiator fan tries to cool down the engine.
this too doesn't happen everytime. it happens when we push the engine to higher revs upwards of 4000 RPM, which we Palio owners usually tend to do.
Old 24th November 2004, 05:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

The fan remaining on is a very typical european feature. Its the same on my Clio. The fan remains on for abt 45 seconds after turning off the engine. Its probably not significantly advantageous and therefore having it or not having it would not make much of a difference. We used to have a Toyota Corona (automatic) earlier and in that the fan came on as soon as you turned the key to the 'on' position. And i think the fan stayed on until the enigine was turned off..
Old 25th November 2004, 13:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

i have a palio.the fan only stays on if u park the car immediately after slow travel(as while parking or thru trafic).it cannot be responsible for the fire.even if u keep the car the whole day in the sun the fan will never come on.it is designed such that it says on for 30-45 sec after the engine has been turned off.the fire can be result of electrical shortcircuit but even mice are perfectly capable of inducing that.
Old 25th November 2004, 14:43   #23
BHPian

i hate fiat from the start.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks