Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2004, 05:29   #1

Hi,

Today I saw a new posting on Indiacar.com message board, by a distressed Palio owner.
Source: http://www.indiacar.com/messageboard...p?msg_id=13273

He got a new FIAT Palio Diesel (ELX model) on May 31, 2004 (Sundaram Motors, Bangalore), done around 3000 Km by Aug 3, 2004. All of a sudden on Aug 4, 2004 the car caught fire early in the morning while parked (engine was turned off properly.). In the morning the owner observed huge smoke and fire coming from engine bay. He put off the fire but by then the whole engine was burnt. After registering a police complaint, the dealer was informed. Service manager from Sundaram, along with two service
engineers from FIAT inspected the vehicle but couldn’t conclude on the exact reason for such fire (well, they suspected a short circuit). FIAT people later convinced him to go ahead with insurance procedures and clearly promised him that FIAT will pay any amount that insurance will not cover. It took about 2.5 months to repair the car and now FIAT is not keeping its promise and the car owner has to cough up the difference amount of Rs 60K..70K *(difference between actual repair bill and claim accepted by the Insurance company).

This could happen to any car, so what care one should take?

Babalipk
Old 26th October 2004, 10:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Well, this guy should have contacted the insurance people who should have completed the invesitgation
Old 26th October 2004, 13:49   #3
BHPian

i guess the insurance company has to do the complete investigation and determine the cause of such a rare accident. If its a manufacturing defect such as wiring then they have every right to damand and explanation from fiat. i dont see why the poor owner should pay for this accident especially if its a new car.
-chaxy
Old 26th October 2004, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

But why would FIAT pay any money...Do they think...it was a manufacturing defect or something??
Old 26th October 2004, 15:18   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

hmm.. FIAT cars are strange, compared to my Marutis. Their radiator fan comes on even when the car is parked and turned off.
Now say there was a leakage in the fuel line, and when the fan came on (some small spark is not a big thing) and boom.

And yes insurance company is to be contacted first. And normally the settle they repair amount with the workshop themselves.

Old 26th October 2004, 15:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SLK @ Oct. 26 2004,13:48)]hmm.. FIAT cars are strange, compared to my Marutis. Their radiator fan comes on even when the car is parked and turned off.
U said it SLK....after turning off my friend`s Siena Weekend...the fan with its little mur mur... goes on forever!! My friend says.. its takes around 2-3 minutes!!!

Old 26th October 2004, 18:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a rare case. And from the owner's statement it doesn't seem as if there was any negligence on his part. And since the whole engine bay was burnt, we can conclude that it is not a minor issue. So, all things considered it should not be the owner who has to bear any expenses. It should be Fiat.
Old 26th October 2004, 18:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

from what i understand the fan is controlled by a thermostat that bypasses all controls incl. the engine switch off switch. I first noticed this on a Uno in singapore (so it is not the indian versions that do this). funnily on a later trip while we were driving the Uno in a New Year's traffic it overheated and started smoking.
Old 27th October 2004, 00:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]But why would FIAT pay any money...Do they think...it was a manufacturing defect or something??
I totally agree with that. Since neither the dealers nor the company engineers could find out the problem how did they assume it was a manufacturing defect? And if they promised to pay the difference as a goodwill measure then they should have irrespective of what the fault was.
Personally, I think ideally, the owner should have been given a new car but paying the difference as promised would also be a nice gesture on part of Fiat. Come on, if they could pay Rs. 1.2 crores of duty for a certain ungrateful Mr. Tendulkar, they could do a similar thing for a genuine customer too isn't it? And i am sure this owner would then have got fiat many more customers then what tendulkar could in 7 janams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the fan with its little mur mur... goes on forever!
I personally love the humming sound of the fan. I just love to switch on the A/c and stand outside the car listening to the loud hum from the engine!

Old 27th October 2004, 01:10   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (amit @ Oct. 26 2004,23:06)]I just love to switch on the A/c and stand outside the car listening to the loud hum from the engine!
you don't need to do that.

Just park the car in sun!!!... And it'll give you the music without wasting any fuel
Old 27th October 2004, 11:58   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Italian electronics, people - Very simply put.

Butttttttttttttttttttt this is the first instance of a burning Fiat Palio that I have come across. There really arent too many details provided (dealer investigation, parts replaced etc.) and from what one can make of it so far...its either a short circuit or rats!

GTO
Old 27th October 2004, 16:35   #12
BHPian

If the engine got burnt then it must have been a pretty big fire. Its definitely not the fuel getting burnt bcoz its a diesel car And diesel doesnt burn like petrol. *

I remember some UNOs with the words FIRE on the sides.... wonder what they meant *
Old 27th October 2004, 16:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

FIRE-Fully Integrated Robotized Engine.

Revv
Old 28th October 2004, 01:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]from what i understand the fan is controlled by a thermostat that bypasses all controls incl. the engine switch off switch.
I have noticed this feature only on fiat cars. Wonder if it's a European feature....maybe skoda and opel owners can shed some more light.
Also, i would like know why this feature is provided by the company. Is it in any way superior to other cars? if yes, how? Or how is it different and advantagious as compared to other cars?
Old 28th October 2004, 14:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

got astra, sail and RS and have not noticed it on either nor on my FIL's Audi so I guess it is a Fiat feature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks