Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2005, 20:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
GM owns part of Fiat, and have a put option; which would allow them to buy out the whole company in 2005 if they want to... but this is being contested in court.
Put Option is with FIAT that they can sell the car business to GM - thats what Put option means. And FIAT wants to do that...GM does not want to buy it...so much so for FIAT's confidence in itself...not to talk about GM

not surprising the FIAT is bleeding worldwide..

~maniac
Old 29th January 2005, 22:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Put Option is with FIAT that they can sell the car business to GM - thats what Put option means. And FIAT wants to do that...GM does not want to buy it...so much so for FIAT's confidence in itself...not to talk about GM
I think it's the other way round. Gm wants to buy Fiat but they are unwilling to sell cuz they want to get back on their own and they feel that with GM they wouldn't be able to make the cars that they really want to. Thats what i read some months back.
Also, Fiat is slowly recovering worldwide thanks to Panda. Of course, in India they are bleeding thanks to a suicidal management.
Old 30th January 2005, 13:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

hopefully when they launch thier panda here (i think this year- 3laks) it will help them
Old 31st January 2005, 21:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I think it's the other way round. Gm wants to buy Fiat but they are unwilling to sell cuz they want to get back on their own and they feel that with GM they wouldn't be able to make the cars that they really want to. Thats what i read some months back.
Also, Fiat is slowly recovering worldwide thanks to Panda. Of course, in India they are bleeding thanks to a suicidal management.
Some Finance funda : Put option gives you the right to sell, call option gives you the right to buy...Fiat can force GM to sell Fiat to GM

Read here:
http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/i...ews-57joc7be2c

The first line: The disputed option for Fiat to force General Motors to buy Fiat Auto comes into force today, though Fiat is not expected to enforce it pending the outcome of current mediation.

From the same article: The ‘put option’ dates from 2000 when Fiat exchanged a 20 per cent stake in Fiat Auto for a 6 per cent shareholding in GM in an agreement including Fiat’s right to sell the rest of Fiat Auto to GM.

Fiat has some huge debts, so the fight from both parties so somehow get rid of the "white elephant"

~maniac
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:23   #20
BANNED

In 2000, GM paid $2.4-billion to Fiat to get access to its small-car technology. Again in 2005, GM agreed to pay Fiat $2 billion to avoid having to take over all of the Italian automaker.

GM's fate is now more in the hands of bureaucrats than car buyers, really don't know the fate of this alliance.

Coming back to the thread, even after launch of Stile in 2007, there is no significant increase in sales. Its a pity that while Fiat's Multijet engine is selling like hot-cakes in Swift, its yet to take-off on Fiat's Palio.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Diabloo... You just dug up a 4 year old thread!
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:31   #22
BHPian

Mods I guess you should just lock this thread.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
GM's fate is now more in the hands of bureaucrats than car buyers, really don't know the fate of this alliance.
Which alliance? GM-Fiat? That's long dead.

Quote:
Coming back to the thread, even after launch of Stile in 2007, there is no significant increase in sales. Its a pity that while Fiat's Multijet engine is selling like hot-cakes in Swift, its yet to take-off on Fiat's Palio.
Many reasons for that. What do you think will happen if the same Multijet engine is put into the Chevy Aveo?
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Was it GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Which alliance? GM-Fiat? That's long dead.

Many reasons for that. What do you think will happen if the same Multijet engine is put into the Chevy Aveo?
Was it GM or Chrysler (or both) that had tie-ups with Fiat. If I remember correctly, Chrysler has some rights to the MJ engines.

Cheers,
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Was it GM or Chrysler (or both) that had tie-ups with Fiat. If I remember correctly, Chrysler has some rights to the MJ engines.
GM HAD a deal with Fiat. MJD engines and Fiat GP and new Opel Corsa were the result of that tie-up. Chrysler HAS just signed a deal with them.
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
GM HAD a deal with Fiat. MJD engines and Fiat GP and new Opel Corsa were the result of that tie-up. Chrysler HAS just signed a deal with them.

Wikipedia quotes that, "Ownership of some Fiat JTD designs is shared with General Motors as part of a settlement of the failed merger between the two auto conglomerates"

I believe, Multijet engines were developed solely by FIAT Powertrain technologies. Ownership of the engines were given to GM as a settlement and Suzuki got the MJD engines because of GMs stake in Suzuki. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Last edited by cruiser_1982 : 2nd March 2009 at 16:14.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Wikipedia quotes that, "Ownership of some Fiat JTD designs is shared with General Motors as part of a settlement of the failed merger between the two auto conglomerates"

I believe, Multijet engines were developed solely by FIAT Powertrain technologies. Ownership of the engines were given to GM as a settlement and Suzuki got the MJD engines because of GMs stake in Suzuki. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Is this discussion relevant to the subject of the thread?

Discussion is totally
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks