Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 19:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
The one thing i hate about Skoda is their models, i mean all of them look the same! The Superb doesn't look any diffrent than the Octavia now whats the point in buying the Superb, no one will ever know the difference.
The Skoda cars that are selling well have dated engines. DSg and V6 engined models are not selling well....

So I think, people still like the way Skoda looks and that's what is keeping them in the game. If they change the looks, they have to improve them, else Optra Magnum will start selling like anything....

The Skin-deep beauty is very important for Skoda so that people forgive their pricing, their interiors, the cramped rear seat and A.S.S.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 21st September 2007 at 19:35.
Old 21st September 2007, 21:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
... Now I don't know about the Skoda having any such roots in design, they may be a old company but they have no design that really created a cult that is worth sticking to and designing around its original structure like the Mustang, Porsche or the Mercedes. I thought it was all about staying true to its original design that struck a cord with one generation emotionally and people tried to keep that alive for the coming generations and not some Pseudo marketing gimmick for the sake of looking original and classy.

I am not saying they don't have the right to maintain their design but for an Indian customer for whom 20laks is a big deal we like to see some difference that puts it apart from other cars for the dow we pay.
It is true that Skoda does not have a style or motoring heritage compareable even to that of VW, which bought Skoda in 1991. But the Octavia brand has been around since 1961, and I thought VW did a good job of lending it some faux heritage in its style (On the Golf platform?). It is a pretty good language for a vehicle that was meant to come across as a refined beast. The downside is that it can (and has begun to) look dated soon. Even the present Octavia (the Laura here) looks just a little too much like its predecessor (the Octavia here).

But if this (below) is the new Superb, it does feel a little more 'bling' than the current offering.

Last edited by wizardofid : 21st September 2007 at 21:40. Reason: included Image location
Old 21st September 2007, 23:00   #18
BHPian

If thats the new Superb then its a welcome break from the Skoda triplets. I wonder if the boot got a design makeover too.
Old 22nd September 2007, 09:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

any idea on what are the differences between the both variants?
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

the new varient of existing Superb model is priced at !9.90 lakhs ex-showroom in Mumbai.
Old 23rd September 2007, 01:26   #21
BANNED

Quote:
The one thing i hate about Skoda is their models, i mean all of them look the same! The Superb doesn't look any diffrent than the Octavia now whats the point in buying the Superb, no one will ever know the difference.
Do you buy a car for what people will think or for the driving pleasure that you get?
Old 23rd September 2007, 01:58   #22
BHPian

We all buy cars for what we want, i go for looks and performance more than anything. I like a good looking car and i dont mind if it draws some looks, I guess thats why i put alloy rims for my car, is that wrong?

More over the point here is simple, all the Skodas look the same do you agree or is it dogmatic for you?

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 23rd September 2007 at 02:00.
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

I beleive the 2.8 6 pot is smooth etc but

1: fuel economy is no great shakes
2: Vw mechanics say is one of the most hated engines to work on - access to belts, water pump also resetting the injector pumps is a major hassle.

...and you know the Skoda service competency!
Old 27th May 2008, 11:24   #24
Joz
BHPian

Guess the new Superb is on its way here. Spotted a masked one in blue this morning at Jhonson Market - looked awesome. No pictures though.
Old 27th May 2008, 15:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Just hope they dont have any illusions about pricing it as a cheaper E-class alternative.
Old 27th May 2008, 16:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Interesting! Superb down to 20. Then, Lolla should come down to 15 and Lolla vRS priced around 17.
next time i see a Laura on road...i am going laugh and crash on the road...and Lolla guy would wondor why i am doing that he he he what a name "Lolla"
Old 27th May 2008, 21:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

upcoming superb

http://www.automobilesreview.com/gal...-superb-01.jpg

http://thecarfanatic.com/wordpress/w...perb-pic-3.jpg
Old 27th May 2008, 22:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

have to say... actually looks like a 20lac rupee car! better than camry (looks wise).
Also if they retian interiors as shown in parent company site than it is definitely worth it.
Old 27th May 2008, 22:29   #29
BHPian

The front looks very good! But the rear is very disappointing!

I hope they price it right!
Old 27th May 2008, 22:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

IMO, there is something wrong with the new Superb design. The side profile looks dis-proportionate to the rest of the body. Rear looks like a Chrysler (maybe an older Sebring). It looks like a mix of different confused cultures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks