Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 20:05   #1
BHPian

Defective Mercedes: Ordered to be replaced by the NCC!!

Came across this in rediff: Defective Merc: Co asked to offer new car

A supposedly overheating Mercedes was ordered to be replaced or the amount refunded by the National Consumer Commission. I think the car companies and shoddy dealers need to pull up their socks. As these verdicts set precedence more embattled customers will be ready to knock at the door of the courts!

Excerpt:

"
The car maker and its dealer, in their defence, claimed that the problems, if any, faced by the complainant, were operational in nature and were due to the nature of use and improper road conditions.

Interestingly, the Commission ordered road tests and even appointed court commissioners, who travelled over 200 km in the car to verify the car purchaser's complaint, that the central hump of the car was getting over-heated during long journeys.

On the basis of road tests, the Commission said "in our view, the constant grievances of the complainant that the central hump was getting heated in long journeys cannot be ignored. These facts are established by the complaints made continuously by the complainant as well as the temperature noted by the court commissioners.

"

Last edited by LandCruiser : 21st September 2007 at 20:08.
Old 21st September 2007, 20:15   #2
BHPian

Way to go!

This is the right way to go - I hope the companies start taking customer seriously!
Old 21st September 2007, 20:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Merc's is coming low on reliability.
Old 21st September 2007, 20:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Everybody in this world have their lows, you cant stay on top forever.
Old 22nd September 2007, 00:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

This guy has to be the unluckiest car owner in the world,stuck with two lemons from mercedes benz and that too the s-class[I presume both cars are the s-class].
Old 22nd September 2007, 02:25   #6

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the consumer court information is still not available to the masses.a lot of people still don't know what to do or who to approach.they visit the dealers and after being shooed off,they give up and learn to live with the car.
i think it would be nice if one of the members could post the consumer courts phone number or address for different districts and cities in india.
Old 22nd September 2007, 03:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

NICE! That should teach a lesson to companies. And point to note is that the car in question was an S-Class.
Old 22nd September 2007, 08:35   #8
BHPian

great work by the court...high time companies became more responsible towards the indian car buyer
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:57   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent news!! Hats off to the consumer as well as the consumer court judge. Equally nice to hear that the court went the entire mile and conducted road tests of the car. I have been in this situation with the C180 so know exactly what he must feel like. Luckily for me, Mercedes replaced my car as they knew I was ready and fully-prepared to fight a long legal battle. When you spend 30 lakhs on a car, the least that you expect is for it to be reliable.

However, I didnt really understand what the real problem was in this car. The article does not list them...the only thing that it mentions is that the "central hump" was overheating.
Old 22nd September 2007, 14:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The article does not list them...the only thing that it mentions is that the "central hump" was overheating.
I think they're referring to the transmission tunnel.
Old 23rd September 2007, 20:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This was an old model Merc...So, it isnt surprising. Merc's quality had gone down badly in the past few years.

With the launch of the new S-class and C-class and the CL, Merc are now claiming that they are building quality cars again. I just hope for the sake of the company that it's true.
Old 24th September 2007, 03:58   #12
SuperSyn

The 'punishment' is insignificant for the company, publicity excluded.

Replace the car? Refund the amount?

What about all the hassle and turmoil one has to go through while dealing with all this drama. The punishment should have a higher fine component to teach the companies a much needed lesson.

Old 24th September 2007, 10:19   #13
BHPian

well.. a bentely was also replaced in bangalore few months ago.. it seemd the company could not repair the electrical glitches in the car even after repeated services (they used to take the car to delhi for servicing) and in the end offered the customer a new car!!!
he happily obliged..!!!
Old 24th September 2007, 15:07   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
The 'punishment' is insignificant for the company, publicity excluded.

Replace the car? Refund the amount?

What about all the hassle and turmoil one has to go through while dealing with all this drama. The punishment should have a higher fine component to teach the companies a much needed lesson.
IMHO a full product replacement is the best that one can have. Most go home with much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayakrnr View Post
it seemd the company could not repair the electrical glitches in the car even after repeated services (they used to take the car to delhi for servicing) and in the end offered the customer a new car!!!
he happily obliged..!!!
So I hear too. A delhi Bentley owner tells me that his car is an absolute nightmare to own with various problems / glitches coming up all the time.
Old 24th September 2007, 17:42   #15
BHPian

It is amazing to hear that such expensive cars are no better in terms of ownership.

GTO, If I may ask, what are the problems you faced in your C180 to the level where Mercedes had to replace the car? Please share with us.

Most Viewed