Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 15:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Did AutocarIndia intentionally lie about august sales of the Honda City/Maruti SX4

Autocar India has always been biased regards honda be it their reviews,comparisons and other stuff.

Quote:
ACI reports SX4 sales at 28xx units for August. NHC seems to have nosed ahead . No wonder, Honda is fancying their chances for the ABS and Airbags equipped NHC at current+60K prices!
Source:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/558908-post389.html
For August they have put honda city sales figures ahead of sx4 then how come Honda India and sify are acknowledging that the sx4 sold 40 units more than the honda city in august.

Quote:
In August, Honda sold only 40 Citys fewer than the SX4.
Source:
Honda Siel seeks policy clarity before hybrid car launch - Sify.com

Another thing from the source is honda is confident this segment does not require a diesel and yes the honda city petrol is VFM.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 23rd September 2007 at 15:54.
Old 23rd September 2007, 16:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not very difficult to comprehend why Auto Mags are so biased towards the manufacturers, especially those selling mid and high end models. Unlike most of the reputed publications abroad, ACI, OD and others depend on the manufacturers to provide them with cars for testing. These publications cannot afford to offend these manufacturers for the simple reason that they may choke of the supply of cars to their "long term garages" as also cut back on advertisments which is the life blood for them.

It is for this very reason that even flop products are not criticised in an objective manner. (EG Ford Fusion Diesel). Most journos are happy in using these cars for monthhs which they would not otherwise get to touch ( Civic, Accord) . The more up market the model range the more these journos fawn around these cos. It is for this reason that a very large amount of newsprint space is devoted to the tests of high end models that hardly sell in 2-3 digit numbers, they have working holidays, driving around in exotic European, South American, and African locales . (the VW group has been getting a lot of press lately although their presence and relevance in the Indian market is well known to one and all).

Moral of the story: take whatever is said by these automags and their so called experts with a pinch of salt and rely on like minded enthsiasts in forms like Team BHP for taking decisions like car purchase etc.
Old 23rd September 2007, 17:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
These publications cannot afford to offend these manufacturers for the simple reason that they may choke of the supply of cars to their "long term garages" as also cut back on advertisments which is the life blood for them.
Advertisements, yes.

Test Cars - no way. Manufacturers bend over backwards to provide test vehicles for the media. Forget manufacturers - even local dealers are busy taking vernacular language media (Print and TV) to exotic locations for 'test drives'. I know this for a fact because the Malayalam Satellite Channels (there are about 10 of the now) get their 'test cars' from the local dealers in Cochin.

Providing Test Drive vehicles is in a manufacturer's own interest. The sweetener is probably in the form of advertisements, perhaps to ensure that the test is done 'properly'.

In any case even a casual read of most Indian automags will convince even the most naive reader about that publisher's inclinations - it is THAT obvious back home. The sad part is that they dont even make an attempt to cover up their biases or couch their words in politically/diplomatically correct language anymore - its open and blatant.
Old 23rd September 2007, 19:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

It could have been a mistake coz i don't see the point in altering the sales figs when Honda themselves are claiming that they sold 40 less units in August.

Shan2nu
Old 24th September 2007, 11:37   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am confused . Their September 2007 issue would have come out around the 3rd - 4th week of August. How could they have reported sales figures for August then, since the month was not yet complete at the time of publishing?

The October issue should be coming out anytime now (4th week of September) and that would have the August data.

I think you should check the issues and clarify, Rahul. You may have the months mixed up.
Old 24th September 2007, 19:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Didn't we also have the Chevy U-VA as the "Car of the Year" from BS Motoring in just about a week after launch? The way all the magazines went ga-ga over the NHC at launch was an indicator of whats happening behind the scenes.

It is always better not to read the new domestic car section (just look at the photographs), but go on to the other sections.
Old 25th September 2007, 09:29   #7
BHPian

When test drive comparison reviews of NHC and SX4 were put in few auto mags, I too felt that they are biased towards Honda - due to the info they highlighted.

Already mileage numbers they post are unbelievable, now the sales figure also??

Indian cars sales figure and analysis thread follows numbers on manufacturers web site, it is good.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:51   #8
BHPian

As GTO said, looks like few of us have understood the whole numbers with respect to month of sale wrongly.

And coming to Honda, I dont think they can make mags publish the numbers wrongly. Atleast I can trust Honda on such things... Hey, dont say I am biased now
Old 27th September 2007, 08:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Advertisements, yes.

Test Cars - no way. Manufacturers bend over backwards to provide test vehicles for the media. -snip-......
Test cars, yes. but what about the long term cars/bikes?

I'm guessing that they are sweeteners for the automags/journos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks