Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2007, 17:00   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
This website says 4.4l/100km as FE for this 110hp CRDI. Ours should be somewhat closer I hope.

HYUNDAI GETZ CRDi - Diesel does it - The Press - Get the latest local, national and world news from Christchurch's daily newspaper
Well that is on Kiwi Roads which are quite Flawless - that turns out to 23 kpl. I would say minus a further 6 kms for our Indian Road conditions and quality of diesel - that bring it out to about 17 !!

I think 17 is a mighty good FE Figure.

Already people here with a Verna report their FE figure around 20 on the highways !! THe getz has to be better as it is smaller !!

So - Overall Expected FE 20 - 22 !!
Old 30th September 2007, 17:59   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Well - The quality of Hyundai is top notch - at par with Honda / Toyota.

The Swift Diesel on the other hand is way behind Hyundai in terms of quality. I was driving my friends Swift D the other day and was shocked to see the quality of the Power window switches ( TACKY !! ), the roof carpetting was pathetic - it looked like it was about to fall off. The seat cushioning was horrible.

I am sure people owning Swift will agree with me - Of curse the engine is a different story altogether.

Getz will sell I believe - People would not mind paying an additional 60 - 70k for the quality of Getz and plus that se*y engine.

Actually it is wrong comparing both these cars - as someone earlier mentioned - PA CRDi will be more of a Swift D Competetor.

Getz CRDI is more of a Fusion Diesel / Logan competetor.
Once in a while you come across posts when ppl just go way overboard to prove a point. Swift's quality is far from what you made it out to be. I for one after driving Swift for 2 years can say that even though there are some minor (barely audible) rattles from the rear seat, there is practically nothing else wrong in the car as far as finishing is concerned. The seats are comfortable, the seat fabric imho is at par with most cars, the dashboard is still anyday better than Getz. The car is a joy to drive, ideal to throw around corners provided you have better rubber than the cheap JKs given by Maruti.
It has basically whopped Getz in the backside as far as sales are concerned and nobody excpet a few ppl are willing to shell an extra rupee for Getz. Needless to say Getz Petrol sits at Hyundais garages eating dust, and Swift has a 6 month waiting period....

Coming to the car in Question, I really appreciate that Hyundai have given Getz the gem of an egnine that we all love. But I am sure that it will have few takers. Mostly enthusiasts from this forum. As most of Indian aam aadmi would find it too pricey for a car without boot. They will always argue that it makes more sense to buy SX4 Vxi at 80k more than Getz Deisel. The pricing of this car is just not appropiate for its segment, and even if we accept the price, there just arent enough goodies to justify this buy. Bundle this with NO ABS and we have a disaster waiting to happen.

Lastly for those who vouch for Hyundai quality, I want to tell you even though I own Santro Zing, I anyday find Wagon R a better car to drive. Japenese cars including suzukis age more gracefully, than their Korean counterparts. Even though the fit and finishing of Hyundai is better, they loose out in the total ownership experience as their cars dont age as gracefully as the Suzis. This results in poorer resale and more troubles when the car becomes old.
Old 30th September 2007, 18:21   #243
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Quality

Quote:
Once in a while you come across posts when ppl just go way overboard to prove a point. Swift's quality is far from what you made it out to be.
I disagree with you Aseem, have you ever driven a Getz?

Quote:
There is practically nothing else wrong in the car as far as finishing is concerned. The seats are comfortable, the seat fabric imho is at par with most cars, the dashboard is still anyday better than Getz.
The seats are far from comfortable, most Swift owners will vouch for that. The Dashboard maybe on par but not better then the Getz. The engine is a slouch at low RPM;s, lack of low end torque and the petrol 1.3 Getz is more driveable.

Quote:
as far as sales are concerned
Sales dont show whether a car is better or not, you tell me which car is better a Santro or a Alto? The Santro is much better but the Alto outsells it. Hence we cant conclude a car is better if it sells more. Case in point is the Mondeo, sales never took off but the car is fantastic mind you.

Quote:
Swift has a 6 month waiting period
I have said this a few times before also, saying it again, my friend has told me MUL believe waiting = success of a car, hence all the waiting is hyped.

Quote:
makes more sense to buy SX4 Vxi at 80k more than Getz Deisel.
There is no comparission, one is a Petrol, the other is a diesel, both segment buyers have very different requirements, a Swift Diesel buyer can get a Fiesta 1.4 but does he need it??

Quote:
Lastly for those who vouch for Hyundai quality, I want to tell you even though I own Santro Zing, I anyday find Wagon R a better car to drive.
How does quality and better car to drive co relate Please learn to look at facts as facts.

And for those who talk about Hyundai quality.

I cannot remember a company pumping out a succession of new models of such relentlessly high quality as those that Hyundai has in the past two years.

Source

P.S - I dont own a Hyundai, never owned one, nor do i have plans to own one in the near future. But Hyundai as a company makes cars with quality on par with Honda/Toyota.

P.S 2 - I can say all this after extensively driven the Petrol, Diesel Swift and the 1.3L Getz.
Old 30th September 2007, 19:00   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I disagree with you Aseem, have you ever driven a Getz?
Well I have driven a Getz and the only thing I remember was that the accelerator response was poor.

Quote:
The seats are far from comfortable, most Swift owners will vouch for that. The Dashboard maybe on par but not better then the Getz. The engine is a slouch at low RPM;s, lack of low end torque and the petrol 1.3 Getz is more driveable.
The engine is NO SLOUCH!!! It has tall gearing and you need to get used to it. If you drive it like a Santro with 5th gear at 60 kmph, than good luck to you. Regarding the seats, at least to the Indicas, the Esteems, that I genereally ride in, they are miles apart as far as providing thigh support.

I realize you have deliberately not address the part that Swift HANDLING is best in its class, and with proper rubber the car is joy to throw in the corners.

Quote:
Sales dont show whether a car is better or not, you tell me which car is better a Santro or a Alto? The Santro is much better but the Alto outsells it. Hence we cant conclude a car is better if it sells more. Case in point is the Mondeo, sales never took off but the car is fantastic mind you.
Are Alto and Santro in the same segment? I dont think so. We can only compare cars in the same segment and price band to see whcih car is more succesful. We can compare Wagon R with Santro, Corolla with Civic, Honda City with SX4 etc.
You cant compare cars across segments to prove a point. Thats just meaningless!
In any case all companies make cars to make profits. A succesful car is one that manfacturers can sell and make profit from. Making a great car with no takers (buyers) and having it rot in the showroom (ala Fiat Palio) is of no use either to the buyer or the manufacturer.

Quote:
I have said this a few times before also, saying it again, my friend has told me MUL believe waiting = success of a car, hence all the waiting is hyped.
Well who is this mysterious freind? He seems to have a lot of inside information, so its great to know who he is, who he works for, where he got this information from. As my source says otherwise, my source is Jagdish Khattar. No car owner would give 24% interest on your downpayment as their car deliveries are getting delayed to hype their cars. They would rather sell as many as they possibly can.
Maybe Hyundai should try this trick than, put a waiting period for Getz.... But than you see so few on the road, ppl would go like when the seller says, due to huge demand we are not able to provide you Getz.

Quote:
There is no comparission, one is a Petrol, the other is a diesel, both segment buyers have very different requirements, a Swift Diesel buyer can get a Fiesta 1.4 but does he need it??
Well I am sure many prespective Swift D buyers do look at other options. Those that have long running, and less budget go with Swift LDi. Those with more running and higher budget opt for Vdi. But how many takers would you find for Swift Vdi it was 50k more expensive? I am sure at that price point other cars would become far tempting.
I dont have to prove my point, I am sure that Getz Deisel wouldnt set the sales alight and we can come and revisit this point.

Quote:
How does quality and better car to drive co relate Please learn to look at facts as facts.
And what makes a quality car.... One that has great plastics like Getz Prime 1.1 and drives like a dud. Or a car like Swift Lxi which is priced same as Getz Prime 1.1 and drives like a gem. FACT is, there is most to a car than just mere plastics, the SOUL of the car is how it drives, the chasis, the suspension and the engine in its heart. All those factors constitue driveability. Thats how you determine how good a car is.

Quote:
And for those who talk about Hyundai quality.

I cannot remember a company pumping out a succession of new models of such relentlessly high quality as those that Hyundai has in the past two years.

Source
Dude you must be kidding. How does one auto generalist opinion become the truth, for all you know he got paid by sponsors.... I dont even wanna discuss how wrong auto reviewers are at times when they just go overboard. The source for your article is NZ, so I am not sure what point you are trying to prove in an Indian context.

In any case I dont know what meaningful model Hyundai has launched in the last 2 years in India which has set the market alight. They have series of flops launched in India for the last 2 years nothing to write about. As already pointed out by someone in the last 2 years Hyundai India has launched Elantra (where has that gone....), Embera (havent seen much off late....), a 15 lakh SUV that I dont even remember the name now (goes to show how popular it is), Verna. Terracan and what not.

I am sure I can give your articles that claim Hyundai makes ****ty cars, and Korean engines are no way near as good as japs. So qouting an article from an auto-reviwers claiming that anybody who disagrees about Hyundai quality should read the above artcile as a gospel is simple a joke.

Quote:
P.S - I dont own a Hyundai, never owned one, nor do i have plans to own one in the near future. But Hyundai as a company makes cars with quality on par with Honda/Toyota.
You do have plans to buy a car in the future. Right now you are going through the justification faze. Its just like before you marry a girl you fall in love and just see good things about her. Once you are married you find out who she really is.... thats when you realize its too late. Terms like "you werent the girl I married", become too common. All the married men in the forum can vouch for that....

Quote:
P.S 2 - I can say all this after extensively driven the Petrol, Diesel Swift and the 1.3L Getz.
Its your opinion and you are entitled to it like I am entitled to mine.

Cheers and Drive Safe!!!
Old 30th September 2007, 19:50   #245
Senior - BHPian

Well It looks like every time I make a post on Hyundai's Quality or Maruti's Quality - people tend to take it to heart. Sad Really Sad !!

All I wrote was a small post saying Hyundai's Quality is better than Swift's - well, every Auto Magazine in India - Topgear, ACI, Overdrive, AutoIndia - Have commented that Hyundais' Quality is better than MUL's to a certain extent.

Let me also tell you that as of today I do own 3 Hyundai Cars, BUT previously I have owned a Baleno, 2 Esteems, 1 Zen & 2 M800's. I have never ever had a problem with Maruti - In fact I loved their cars - BUT when the Swift came out I straight away went to check it out - I was not impressed with the quality. Later on I went to see the SX4 - The quality was again doubtful. No doubt that Maruti offers Brilliant VFM but that does not mean their quality used is Top Notch - Nada !! No sir !!

I am sure many people like BUSA already owning Swift's or other members having SX4's can vouch on my fact.

Hyundai is being stupid with their pricing - In fact more than half their cars after Accent have been flopping - This is another story BUT as far as Quality Goes - The Getz Quality is Good !!

Everyone has their own Flops - The baleno was a damn good car BUT did it Sell ? No !! The Palio 1.6 is the best hatch even today BUT again A flop !!

Coming to Estilo - Its a silly car BUT it sells !! Indica having so many problems - It still sells !!
We Indians want the Maximum Bang for our Buck ( Including me ) BUT when we have to spend money on our rides, we start making excuses saying the company is bad and this and that etc etc.

Every one has their own opinion and I respect everyone's opinion !! So no hard feelings there. Cheers !!!

@ BUSA - You still in for the Getz right !!! I am definetely gonna buy one this year

Last edited by vkochar : 30th September 2007 at 19:59.
Old 30th September 2007, 20:23   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Well It looks like every time I make a post on Hyundai's Quality or Maruti's Quality - people tend to take it to heart. Sad Really Sad !!

All I wrote was a small post saying Hyundai's Quality is better than Swift's - well, every Auto Magazine in India - Topgear, ACI, Overdrive, AutoIndia - Have commented that Hyundais' Quality is better than MUL's to a certain extent.

Let me also tell you that as of today I do own 3 Hyundai Cars, BUT previously I have owned a Baleno, 2 Esteems, 1 Zen & 2 M800's. I have never ever had a problem with Maruti - In fact I loved their cars - BUT when the Swift came out I straight away went to check it out - I was not impressed with the quality. Later on I went to see the SX4 - The quality was again doubtful. No doubt that Maruti offers Brilliant VFM but that does not mean their quality used is Top Notch - Nada !! No sir !!
My freind I appreciate your indirect reference to me, so let me be the first to respond. Just by highlighting stuff in bold, doesnt add any credibility to your statement.
I re-iterate the quality of the plastics is not what you judge a vehicle by. There are other elements like engine, chasis, suspension, safety features which are far more important than every 3rd rate manfacture that offers Indians beige interiors.
Even if Interior Plastic quality is the criteria, even if I agree Getz has better quality plastic, is it worth the price disparity, is it worth 40k?I dont think so.
Lets get back on the topic now. BTW I am happy with Getz 110 bhp, just dissapointed with the price and the features it offers!!!
Old 30th September 2007, 20:38   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the married men in the forum can vouch for that.
Aseem its better if your wife doesnot read that

Quote:
I realize you have deliberately not address the part that Swift HANDLING is best in its class, and with proper rubber the car is joy to throw in the corners.
There is nothing about that. Read post no 232

Quote:
Swift handles much better then the Getz
Quote:
You cant compare cars across segments to prove a point. Thats just meaningless!
The Santro and the Alto are in the same segment FYI, hence Hyundai is launching the PA to take the fight to the WagonR & Zen Estilo.

Quote:
In any case all companies make cars to make profits. A succesful car is one that manfacturers can sell and make profit from. Making a great car with no takers (buyers) and having it rot in the showroom (ala Fiat Palio) is of no use either to the buyer or the manufacturer.
We are not talking which car is succesful and which is not, the question here is which is better. The Getz is better as far as space, comfort, quality, engine(diesel) goes. Wheras the Swift is good in terms of handling, looks, FE. I have a Swift Diesel and am happy with it, but yes the quality needs to improve and they need to sort out the rattles, for mroe info about my car, check my gallery.

Quote:
No car owner would give 24% interest on your downpayment as their car deliveries are getting delayed to hype their cars
You meant manufacturer right? Well all this was done by MUL, when the Getz was launched, so potential buyers dont cancel their bookings and buy the Getz. And its just the Diesel having the waiting.

Quote:
Well who is this mysterious freind
He is a inside source at Maruti. Rest i cant disclose for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Well I have driven a Getz and the only thing I remember was that the accelerator response was poor.
Swift has 113NM torque from a 1.3L producing around 87bhp
Honda City has 124NM torque from a 1.5L producing around 77bhp
Getz has from a 117NM torque from a 1.3L producing around 82bhp

From the above points it can be concluded that since Honda City sells in large numbers due to it being having lesser horses then the Getz, then you surely cannot term the Getz as slouch for a hatch.

Also Getz is geared short, and is very good for City driving, no slouch this.

Quote:
I am sure I can give your articles that claim Hyundai makes ****ty cars, and Korean engines are no way near as good as japs
When it comes to quality its not only auto journos but even fellow bhpian owners will vouch for it being much much better then the Maruti. Korean Petrol engines maynot be as good as Japanese but they are catching up fast, in fact Toyota are really worried that Hyundai is the biggest threat for them.

As far as diesels go all i can say are the following figures. Since you so wanted to compare them with the Japs.

Toyota Innova D4D - 102bhp, 200NM from a 2.5L engine.
Hyundai Tucson CRDi - 112bhp, 241NM from a 2.0L engine.

Those are just one of examples, the upcoming Hyundai Elantra has much power and torque and better FE then equivalent engines made by Toyota. And Maruti has no clue about diesels, infact all they did was take Fiats engine and coined the term DDIS and used them in the car.

Quote:
I am definetely gonna buy one this year
Make sure you get it Peted

Edit : -

Quote:
There are other elements like engine, chasis, suspension, safety features which are far more important than every 3rd rate manfacture that offers Indians beige interiors.
Even if Interior Plastic quality is the criteria, even if I agree Getz has better quality plastic, is it worth the price disparity, is it worth 40k?I dont think so.
Nobody said that the Getz is a better vehicle then the Swift or the Swift is better, the post made by VKoacher was simple & short, Getz quality is much better then the Swift's, its you who tried to prove a point that the Swift's quality is better. About 40k premium being worth or not, everyone has their own opinion, according to people paying 20k more for ABS is plain stupidity for others it might not hold true, so lets put this to rest here itself, the Getz has better quality and MUL quality is not up to the mark by a long shot.

Last edited by BUSA : 30th September 2007 at 20:42.
Old 30th September 2007, 20:55   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe MUL is paying 24% interest on the booking amount. Thats a huge amount to be payed as interest just for creating hype. Also, sales close to 6k units a month for Swift and 3k units a month for SX4 can't be pure hype!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I dont have to prove my point, I am sure that Getz Deisel wouldnt set the sales alight and we can come and revisit this point.
Don't be so sure. Even i agree it wont be a hit at this price. But soon, there will be huge discounts like on Getz petrol, and that would make it a nice choice! Thats something I'm looking forward to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
And what makes a quality car.... FACT is, there is most to a car than just mere plastics, the SOUL of the car is how it drives, the chasis, the suspension and the engine in its heart. All those factors constitue driveability. Thats how you determine how good a car is.
Exactly! Completly agree.
I dont own both Getz and Swift. And i completly agree Getz plastics are better put together (though i feel dashboard texture on Getz is real bad compared to Santro/Swift). Swift does have rattling issues! (though bit over-exaggerated at times here in team-bhp)
But when we talk about the quality of a car, isn't the overall quality that comes into effect?
But, often when we talk about quality of a car, we confine ourselves to plastic quality/rattles!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th September 2007 at 20:57.
Old 30th September 2007, 20:59   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
No car owner would give 24% interest on your downpayment as their car deliveries are getting delayed to hype their cars. They would rather sell as many as they possibly can.
Maybe Hyundai should try this trick than, put a waiting period for Getz....
This is a post I made in a different thread a few days back - See if this will work or not with us Prospective Buyers of MUL Products -

'' Tell me one thing guys - Booking amount here in Agra is 15k for Swift & 20k for SX4.

Even if its a month's waiting then interest accrued for swift is 150 Rupees for 15 days on a deposit of 15k. You do the Math if the Deposit amount changes.

Ridiculous I would say - who needs 150 rs or a measerly amount like this ??? ''

Point taken my friend - Adding Bold to my statements does not show Credibility - hmmm .. OK Thanks for enlightening me !!

@ BUSA - Thanks for making my point clear !!!

Me not debating any more on Hyundai's Quality !!
Old 30th September 2007, 20:59   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, often when we talk about quality of a car, we confine ourselves to plastic quality/rattles!
Crazy firstly quality is not restricted to plastics, there is more then meets the eye. Just check a Swifts bodywork and you will find uneven panels & panel gaps.

Quote:
I believe MUL is paying 24% interest on the booking amount. Thats a huge amount to be payed as interest just for creating hype. Also, sales close to 6k units a month for Swift and 3k units a month for SX4 can't be pure hype
Yes the Diesel is not hyped, but what about the Petrol, they say 3 months waiting for the petrol as well in places like Bangalore, wheras my dealer says off the shelf for any colour except for the ones not in stock(usually Copper) it will take a week.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:17   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes the Diesel is not hyped, but what about the Petrol, they say 3 months waiting for the petrol as well in places like Bangalore, wheras my dealer says off the shelf for any colour except for the ones not in stock(usually Copper) it will take a week.
Situation is pretty normal here in trivandrum.

Swift is available off the shelf as you said, and Swift diesel waiting period for my friend was exact 22 days.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:31   #252
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel Delivery here in Agra is also normal - 7 - 10 days. Petrol available off the shelf though ZXi has to be ordered.

BTW we have had enough debates. Lets get back to the main topic here which the thread is all about !! Sorry MODS !!

Has anyone TD'ed the New Getz Diesel. I called up Agra dealer today and he said he has no idea when the first batch or TD vehicle arrives.

I am really anxious to TD it !!
Old 30th September 2007, 21:43   #253
Senior - BHPian

I went through the entire debate.
Getz quality is much better than Swift. But it is definitely pricey compared to swift. I like the power and handling of swift. But I would not prefer petrol swift for city use. The short gear ratio of getz with ride and comfort makes it a pleasure to drive in city. The build qulaity is excellent and the handling is as good as swift on highways. The best part is that you dont feel the speed even at high speeds. Its luxury with the ride and handling and perfect for city drive with the space and driveability.
Once I get a car its like a family member to me. My wife says I love my car more and she hates it for that reason. I park my car on the road and I keep peeping out of the window to see if the children playing outside are making any scratches. I cannot tolerate rattles and scratches on my baby.Its difficult for me to part with it. After selling my old car it was difficult for me to leave the place. Even after leaving the place I could not resist turning back again and again to see it for the last time..The point I am trying to make is, if you are going to marry the car and intend to keep it in perfect condition for long time, pay extra and go for getz.
I am a great fan of esteem and zen and find that the same quality is missing in swift and SX4. Its VFM,but for me car is more personal and would prefer to pay more to be in love forever. Wish I could afford a skoda/ volkswagen. Maruti is successful in India because its a price conscious market. We want more in terms of quantity for the money we pay. But that does not mean that it is superior to Honda/Hyundai/ Toyota in terms of quality. Marutis strategy seems to have changed ot sell more and make more money. But for many of us, a car is more than just means of conveyance.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 30th September 2007 at 21:52.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:23   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Situation is pretty normal here in trivandrum.

Swift is available off the shelf as you said, and Swift diesel waiting period for my friend was exact 22 days.

Let's not forget what the dealer said to our friend... That no more swift diesels for six months and that he is plain lucky to get the car in 22 days.
Old 30th September 2007, 23:32   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS : Apart from Santro and Accent , the other models had a very luke worm response from the consumers.
1.Sontata
2.Elantra.
3.Terracan
4.Tucson
5.Getz
6.Sonata Embrera
7.Verna
------------And if they price at 5.69 you know who is going to stand 8th in the line

Last edited by maxbhp : 30th September 2007 at 23:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks