Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 14:25   #586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I can give figures of a stage 2 Swift Diesel, but then thats not the point here.
Give me the Pete'd Getz figures please n then compare..!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Why would I even want to do that when all I have to do is shift down and disappear? If I did not like shifting gears I'd buy an automatic!!!
Well said mate.!
Old 9th November 2007, 15:03   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Give me the Pete'd Getz figures please n then compare..!!!
There is no comparission buddy, anyday a Getz is going to be faster flat out and visavis a Peted Getz, a Peted Swift is nothing.

Quote:
Why would I even want to do that when all I have to do is shift down and disappear? If I did not like shifting gears I'd buy an automatic!!!
Its not that buddy, take a situation if i am doing 50kmph in 3rd gear, and then i slow down to 35kmph and a Getz(you) are overtaking me, how many would just downshift to 2nd to overtake another car and in the process burn more fuel. It doesnot sound sane just shifting down to overtake a car in straight line, yes on highways when you need to overtake trucks you got to be fast and downshifting makes sense.

Then i am sure in the long run i would overtake you, since you would need to stop for fuel more often.

Talk wrt how diesels are driven, in normal circumstances you dont downshift just to overtake another car when you can very well carry on in that gear. So the basic point is that we are not dragging, we are driving normally, a reason why you see diesel cars being ahead of petrols in city driving due to the torque, else if all petrol cars are redlined they will leave the diesels in the dust.

Anyways all this rant aside, the Getz is much much better wrt engine, space, build, performance & ride.

Today if i have to choose between either i would definately choose the Hyundai Getz for the fabolous engine alone.
Old 9th November 2007, 15:53   #588
Senior - BHPian

I understand that you are not saying that the Swift D is a better car and also that you are not arguing with me.
I have been driving diesels for the last 20 years and believe me every car that I have owned (from a peugeot powered Amby to a Turbo contessa and a Dicor) has always been kept on the boil unless i drive very leisurely.
When I overtake or even drive normally, the car is always in the meat of the powerband!
Hence I would never ever drive a car without shifting down (or up) if that is what the car needed. So, I would never stay in a gear higher than required, if I needed to accelerate to overtake another car.
Hence I believe that these auto mags should test their 20-80 or 40-100 timings, in the fastest possible way that the car can do it.
I plan to buy a Getz diesel for the following reasons.
1) Its bigger.
2) Its much more comfortable in the rear seat.(than comparable cars)
3) Its got a stonker of an engine.
4) It should give at least 12 kmpl.
5) My mother does not like the rear seat of a Swift.
6) My father does not like the look of a Swift.
7) Even though its going to be for my Dad, i would want to drive it once in a while.

All put together, a no-brainer, don't you think.

Last edited by jyobeb : 9th November 2007 at 15:58.
Old 9th November 2007, 16:16   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The biggest flaw they are mentioning is the price. FE is just casually mentioned.

Also, the test scorecard seem pretty unbiased except for the build quality and strength column, where i think Getz should have got more.
Sorry to correct you there. The AC says and I quote "The Swift is way ahead of the Getz as far as fuel economy is concerned, the satisfying 14.4 kmpl blah blah nearly 2 kmpl better than the Getz. A big big victory blah, blah, blah".

Hence the the remarks about FE were definitely definitely not in passing and not casual.
Old 9th November 2007, 16:32   #590
Senior - BHPian

jyobeb - If you asked me to recommend a car in the midsize segment which is a diesel, it would surely be a Getz CRDi.

I totally agree with the reasons you have mentioned, the rear seat of the Swift is bad, its lacks any leg room, the boot is small, the front seats are not comfortable for long journeys. The car rattles ocassionally. Build Quality is a suspect, ride is stiff.

The Getz is not only bigger and more comfortable, it has a much better ride and a stonker of a engine.
Old 9th November 2007, 17:47   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Two totally different figures for same car.. Over drive quoting a top speed of 154kmph.... for getz D.. I just cant believe that..

couple of my friends who own verna D are just laughing by seeeing this.. they say that swift D will eat the dust of verna in terms of performance...

ACI qoutes top speed as 171 kmph which is also unbelievable.. for the same engine they have quoted 185kmph as top speed for verna... so why a low figure for Getz D??they are just taking us for a ride by giving whatever they want...

so annoying....
Same here.. me and my cousin (verna owner) was laughing.... on toll bridge, delhi, I had seen a verna Vgt beating the hell out of a modified civic with k&n. Dunno if civic messed up with the gear shifts or verna is really a civic killer in performance? like one of the mag said the same with corolla? anyways its an offtopic. Sorry for that...

Now the point is why magz are missleading people with their lame reviews for the powerful cars? like getz D.

Dude that 100% sure that magz are pretty lame if they claim that swift D is better car in performance than Getz D or Verna D.

the top speed thing i had mentioned above... and asked the same ques.
Verna with 14" tyres can make this huge difference of top speed? ans. = No

or hyundai messed up with the gear ratios of it?

Someone please provide the details for the gear ratios for Getz D if possible.
Old 9th November 2007, 17:50   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Sorry to correct you there. The AC says and I quote "The Swift is way ahead of the Getz as far as fuel economy is concerned, the satisfying 14.4 kmpl blah blah nearly 2 kmpl better than the Getz. A big big victory blah, blah, blah".

Hence the the remarks about FE were definitely definitely not in passing and not casual.
2 kmpl difference... i think getz D with that fuel economy one will get a beast... lol one mag said 7 second difference 0-140 kmph bet. swift d and getz d and another said 5 second. dude 5-7 second difference is a hell lot of difference.

lol @ A big big Victory bla bla bla haha

Quote:
jyobeb - If you asked me to recommend a car in the midsize segment which is a diesel, it would surely be a Getz CRDi.

I totally agree with the reasons you have mentioned, the rear seat of the Swift is bad, its lacks any leg room, the boot is small, the front seats are not comfortable for long journeys. The car rattles ocassionally. Build Quality is a suspect, ride is stiff.

The Getz is not only bigger and more comfortable, it has a much better ride and a stonker of a engine.
you forgot the biggest problem in swift ... rattling sounds tick tick tick but sad hyundai is not providing with ABS to such a fast car. really not doing justice to it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th November 2007 at 20:17.
Old 9th November 2007, 18:09   #593
BHPian

I'm, not sure what happened with Overdrive and their 154 kph top speed. It certainly seems like an error. 171 kph is more realistic. As for 185 in Verna, me thinks its possible. The engine blocks might be the same but the gear ratios might be different by a bit, so that's why the top speeds are different. Let's also not forget small things like aerodynamics... can make some difference there too.
Old 9th November 2007, 22:05   #594
BHPian

Quote:

Anyways all this rant aside, the Getz is much much better wrt engine, space, build, performance & ride.

Today if i have to choose between either i would definately choose the Hyundai Getz for the fabolous engine alone.
Bang on Bro. The drinks on me. One has to have driven a diesel for long to be truly able to appreciate this.
Old 10th November 2007, 02:38   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I'm, not sure what happened with Overdrive and their 154 kph top speed. It certainly seems like an error. 171 kph is more realistic. As for 185 in Verna, me thinks its possible. The engine blocks might be the same but the gear ratios might be different by a bit, so that's why the top speeds are different. Let's also not forget small things like aerodynamics... can make some difference there too.
171 kmph is also not that much realistic for getz D with that awesome thing under its hood. Again magz claimed 185 kmph for verna vgt but it can go beyond 195 kmph.
as far as aerodynamics is concerned....
getz D is well equipped with aerodynamics stats....

If same gearbox used in getz D which was used in verna.... then a small difference in the top speed of getz D and Verna...
But we need to check out the gear ratios of getz CRDi...

Ok... Here we go...

Ratios
1st: 3.615:1
2nd: 1.962:1
3rd: 1.257:1
4th: 0.905:1
5th: 0.702:1
Final Drive Ratio: 3.471:1

tyres: 175/65 R14

I had searched the net and found something and i calculated.... now taking air resistance factor and weight of the car in the mind.... it may vary... if we run getz D on a dyno.. we will get these speeds (calculation)

Needed things:
gear ratios: final drive ratio: tyres: at what rpm you wanna calculate.

I found gear ratios for getz D in autocar india magz and calculated..

If we take air resistance factor.... these figures are almost correct...

Now the ques. is .....
in 5th gear Getz D can't go beyond 4000 rpm? I don't think so.....
I can go beyond 4k rpm easily...

If getz can touch 4600 rpm in 5th gear:
then the top speed should touch 204.8 kmph according to the calculations... keeping resistance factor like air and weight in mind....
if the speed decreases to 10 kmph... (good enough)
then also the top speed to be 190+ kmph...

What do you say guys?

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 10th November 2007 at 02:46.
Old 10th November 2007, 10:41   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
171 kmph is also not that much realistic for getz D with that awesome thing under its hood. Again magz claimed 185 kmph for verna vgt but it can go beyond 195 kmph.
What do you say guys?
I agree with this. I have personally noticed that in 5th gear my petrol esteem would not be able to reach its rpm redline, and felt overgeared. While my scorpio reaches the redline in 5th gear to achieve its top speed. the engine charecteristics of the diesel vehicle allow it to reach the RPM redline, even with bad aerodynamics. That "pull" of the diesel is very certain and consistent. I have no doubt that the Getz diesel would be able to achieve the above figures.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th November 2007 at 20:33. Reason: quote edited.
Old 10th November 2007, 12:07   #597
Team-BHP Support

Bad hyundai!

Went to check out i10 today. Nice little car. However, when asked about Getz, they said it will have a very delayed launch in the smaller cities like trivandrum.
Old 10th November 2007, 16:59   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibzez View Post
I agree with this. I have personally noticed that in 5th gear my petrol esteem would not be able to reach its rpm redline, and felt overgeared. While my scorpio reaches the redline in 5th gear to achieve its top speed. the engine charecteristics of the diesel vehicle allow it to reach the RPM redline, even with bad aerodynamics. That "pull" of the diesel is very certain and consistent. I have no doubt that the Getz diesel would be able to achieve the above figures.
You are right... Torque is too much for it. if Verna VGT can reach red line then why not Getz D?
Really BAD BAD Test Drivers of Magz.
Old 11th November 2007, 12:36   #599
Senior - BHPian

In the review, it was given, "In fact, it(getz) is so quick, it can keep up with a petrol powered palio1.6 or even a fiesta 1.6. Still it must be said that swift's performance is more then adequate for everyday driving, the smooth build-up of torque and the better throttle response more than compensating for the lack of power"

Wow, ACI is speaking about 'adequate', 'smooth build-up'(slow), 'compensating for lack of power' Blah blah.. Compensate power with what? torque? then too, getz crdi does a 24kgm.

When did ACI choose a car for having 'adequate for everyday driving' ?
Old 11th November 2007, 16:28   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did ACI choose a car for having 'adequate for everyday driving'
Thats truly a biased report by ACI.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks