Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 18:30   #451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
How is the torque, does it get that rush and push like the Swift?
Most definately. Its got the same 'prepare for take off feeling' that you get when you foot rests on the peddle in the swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
That route is too short with too much traffic to take a TD.
Not really. Straight up from Trident till Bhashyam circle. Then right, into S'shivnagar, all the way down till Sankey Tank back entrance. From there till IISC main road its a deserted one way road with some nice twists and turns. I did this stretch twice, then went back around onto the main road before loafing a bit near mekhri circle underpass testing braking. Hitting 120 was an easy feat.

I was less concerned with speed and power. Main issue was to ascertain the driveability in traffic and also the suspension/gear box tweaks.

Then my friend (shakti911) took over the wheel for a bit. His current ride is an Indica turbo.

I think others may have taken the TD too since the car was available since 15/10/07

Last edited by s0uljah : 17th October 2007 at 18:31.
Old 17th October 2007, 18:45   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Most definately. Its got the same 'prepare for take off feeling' that you get when you foot rests on the peddle in the swift.
How is the feeling if we compare the Verna and Getz? is it same as Verna VGT or a bit slower?
Old 17th October 2007, 20:25   #453
NIP
Senior - BHPian

hey souljah...are u seriously considering buying the diesel getz ?! i'd put my money down on the swift. forget the performance of the getz...i think it looks stale and going by the interior pix you posted, its terrible on the inside too. swift is definitely more 'funky' and it'll take a long time to get bored of looking at it...and driving it !
Old 17th October 2007, 21:07   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
went to TD the Verna last saturday and the getz diesel was available for TD then they (Trident, Sankey Rd.) said. never bothered to even ask for a TD cause i wasnt interested. close to 7 lakhs for a getz diesel is highway robbery !
7 LAKHS FOR A HATCH BACK. REALLY WOULD LIKE TO WAIT FOR ITS NUMBERS ON ROAD
Old 17th October 2007, 21:24   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
went to TD the Verna last saturday and the getz diesel was available for TD then they (Trident, Sankey Rd.) said. never bothered to even ask for a TD cause i wasnt interested. close to 7 lakhs for a getz diesel is highway robbery !
The Fabia will also end up close to the same price, but they simply cannot keep up with Getz's horsepower. Even if they drop in the Octy's engine they get only 90hp (and lose the tax credit)
Old 18th October 2007, 11:11   #456
BHPian

Hi Souljah,

You been first to post pictures/first to write about TD.Great !!

I feel you not given enough insight into TD experience and your verdict about the car. We know about Getz's space,interiros,many friendly features,tilt steering,clutch lock,recling back seat,60:40 split,fold up/flat back seat,ride/built quality etc etc.

I would like to understand how is the Getz CRDi in terms,

1. Performance.(Is it the Red hot powerful small car ? beating eveyrone?)
2. NVH/Vibration ?(especially inside cabin)
3. Suspension/Ride quality.(Is it as good as 1.3 petrol version ?)
4. Braking ? Is it effective/smooth ? (as it has 110 BHP/235Nm to handle) ?
5. Pickup/Accelaration ? best in among all ? (I hope it is, as Torque to weight and Power to weight ratio are the BEST,beating any cars in India !!).

Compare these parameters with Swift DDiS as well.

Looking forward to your valuable/honest opinion after TD.

I plan to buy this Wolf in Sheep's skin(??) and cute little monster based on everybody's view in Team BHP

Chou
Anju
Old 18th October 2007, 17:42   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
How is the feeling if we compare the Verna and Getz? is it same as Verna VGT or a bit slower?
The feeling is great

Slower no way!? I think this would take the pants of the Verna in the initial thanks to its gear ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
7 LAKHS FOR A HATCH BACK. REALLY WOULD LIKE TO WAIT FOR ITS NUMBERS ON ROAD
6.60 OTR + Upsize rims+rubber + Braking work or additional rear discs = way above 7Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The Fabia will also end up close to the same price, but they simply cannot keep up with Getz's horsepower.
Hopefully they will atleast offer 4 discs or ABS for a similar price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
I would like to understand how is the Getz CRDi in terms,

1. Performance.(Is it the Red hot powerful small car ? beating eveyrone?)
Dangerously powerful. Beating everyone can depend on the situation and the person behind the wheel.

Quote:
2. NVH/Vibration ?(especially inside cabin)
If you have some experience with the Verna then you can get an idea what the engine noise is like. It could distinctly be heard as the sales person pulled up beside the showroom with the car.

Cabin noise is minimal and with the A/C on you cant really tell. No vibrations.

Quote:
3. Suspension/Ride quality.(Is it as good as 1.3 petrol version ?)
We own a 1.3 petrol and IMO the CRDI suspension seems to have been worked upon considerably. Smooth ride as I did take it through some rough patches.

Quote:
4. Braking ? Is it effective/smooth ? (as it has 110 BHP/235Nm to handle) ?
If you read my report post TD you will realise this is what the car is really lacking in. For daily running and city use the braking is fine. I did do some sudden braking for judging the capability, its not hard at all but with only 2 discs it leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
5. Pickup/Accelaration ? best in among all ? (I hope it is, as Torque to weight and Power to weight ratio are the BEST,beating any cars in India !!).
I would think the power available in the initial gears are much better than that of the Verna. Seems like Hyundai has done a great job with the gearbox which results in some addictive low torque.

Again to say best among all depends upon the situation.

Quote:
Compare these parameters with Swift DDiS as well.
1. Performance -
I think swift would still rule in terms of FE. From the performance or enthusiast standpoint also the investment of 29k for the tuning box would ensure better availability of power and overall driveability.

2. NVH / Vibration -
The DDis is the silent killer. Its hard to distinguish a petrol vs diesel to be honest. I think during the initial run in period some folks might have encountered some vibration/tightness in the gears but it all seems to disappear once the car has clocked a few thousand k's.

Shortly TBhp will witness a FFE job on a pete'd VDi that can really put to test the noise aspect of the engine.

3. Suspension/Ride quality -
No questions asked, this is where the Getz scores. This is based on my experience with the Petrol. I think an upsize of 16" wouldn't cause much havoc to the ride quality (depending on choice of tyres.)

Choosing comfort oriented tyres maybe the only option available to swift owners.

4. Braking -

The braking on the DDis I TD seemed very adequate and capable. IV no experience with the ABS version but I can only imagine being confidant on our wonderful highways. I will tell you my thoughts on the CRDI in a moment.

5. Pickup/Accelaration -

1.3 DDis vs 1.5 CRDI ?

Getz of course wins here as the stock DDis wouldn't be able to wage against it.

With a filter + chip the DDis would put up a good stiff fight.

Quote:
I plan to buy this Wolf in Sheep's skin(??) and cute little monster.
Lets me be honest, what are your requirements?

With the cost of 6.60 OTR you need to budget another 35k for new rubber and rims which is imperative.

Also sans ABS this car is a real threat to those with a heavy foot. Iv already hatched the plan of scouring Hyundai workshops for crashed cars from which I can pick up a pair of discs and retro fit them for the rear.

With some time and patience, also a lot of vitamin M and the help of guru's/engineers the Getz CRDI can be transformed into one hell of a mean machine.

In its stock trim and lack of vitamin M for further mods I dont see why the Getz CRDI deserves to be chosen over the likes of Swift DDis, Punto, Logan, Fiesta, Fusion etc.
Old 18th October 2007, 19:07   #458
BHPian

Gr8 report s0uljah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
6.60 OTR + Upsize rims+rubber + Braking work or additional rear discs = way above 7Lakhs
This is sounding too expensive now. At least they should have given rear discs and better interior.

When is Hyundai starting discounts?
Old 18th October 2007, 20:45   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Gr8 report s0uljah.
When is Hyundai starting discounts?
Looking at history records, discounts should have started by now.
Old 18th October 2007, 21:26   #460
BHPian

excellent report souljah :-)i think the title of most powerful hatch (petrol or diesel) has moved from palio to getz crdi ;-)
Old 18th October 2007, 22:05   #461
Senior - BHPian

good report souljah! excellent follow up and write up too. so now we have two really mean hatches. though the swift is 1.3 only it really kicks some serious ___ on the road when required. with bigger tyres i find it good to drive on. NVH is lower too and yes the diff b/w petrol and diesel is zilch in terms of noticeablity. i even had a relative know that it was a diesel only after 30kms of driving!!

as for pricing, punto's gonna be a serious threat to anyone daring to reach its pricing levels. knowing fiat, they ll keep it very very competetive and considering production and demand levels for palio, the punto should be available as fast as you can order an idli or a dosa! until of course it gains the required respect.

and if punto does come with abs/airbags and the 90bhp fiat mjd, its gonna rock!! as for hyundai, they still have not learnt how to price their cars which is the most hurting factor in todays times! they ll realize it shortly when there are competitors in the aveo diesel and the punto. its like saying if i get a swift D for 6 lacs and a logan D for 6.5-6.7 which one I d go for? similarly if one were to get linea for 7 lacs and getz for 7 lacs??

whatever it is, finally the auto market has sort of come to age now in India and this trend will continue further next year too. what i have realized out of using four cars until now is this : buy one good car, and drive it atleast to a 50k kms, preferably 75k or 1 lac if possible too. changing cars is tempting, but the amount spent over a car each time with rising fuel bills isnt just worth it !

good report again souljah. keep it up. unfortunately i neither have the mood nor the time to provide a TD of the getz. I am too busy enjoying my swift DDiS for now!

Whoooooooooooooooooooooosh!
Old 18th October 2007, 22:12   #462
Senior - BHPian

Thats One Good Report But I would Like to post a few questions myself

Firstly Is There Any Turbo Fitted in the Car.

Secondly , Wont the upsizing of the tyres help in braking and if it will , why would you suggest retrofitting the Disc Brakes or the ABS

And Lastly How did you find the Gearshifting and is there any other cosmetic change in the car.???
Old 18th October 2007, 22:22   #463

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Thats One Good Report But I would Like to post a few questions myself

Firstly Is There Any Turbo Fitted in the Car.
yes there is.a variable geometry turbine.thats what vgt stands for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Secondly , Wont the upsizing of the tyres help in braking and if it will , why would you suggest retrofitting the Disc Brakes or the ABS
yes upsizing the tires will help braking as the contact patch of the tire will increase.why he has suggested retrofitting abs or rear discs is because its better to have four discs or abs to reduce braking distance and prevent tire lock up in a car as powerful as the getz crdi.
Old 18th October 2007, 23:38   #464
Senior - BHPian

Great report. Thanks

I would recommend not to go for this car now as:

1. Discounts will start after sometime.
2. ABS/ all discs are required for such power. I had to do slam brake on airport road to save a careless guy crossing road. The ABS helped, though the tail wagged a little I could control the car. CRDI without ABS/ discs/ tyre upgrade would be a big risk on highways. I believe, power is useful only when it inspires confidence in the driver.
3. Waiting period is not justifiable. Rather wait for Swift DDis. I am fida over the FIAT engine..

I learnt from Hyundai manager that Hyundai is going to launch top end version of Getz CRDi after sometime. As usual, the price would come down.

I went for Getz Prime 1.3 when the car was launched. Though there was no discount, I got a CBU from Korea.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 18th October 2007 at 23:41.
Old 19th October 2007, 09:05   #465
BHPian

Thanks s0uljah.

I can use Vitamin M upto 7 Lac. Needs are clearly,

1.Premium diesel car.
2.Good usable space.
3.Good ride quality
4.Good built quality
5.Powerful/sporty.
6.Decent mileage (13-16kmpl would do).
7.User friendly/hasslefree

With these I can't think of anything beyond Getz.
Swift fails in many of these department though the engine is good and price is relatively better in case of Swift.

My elder bro(maruthi fan) crib all the time about Swift DDiS he owns, cramped space,poor ride quality,non use friendly like absense tilt steering, visibility through glass and rear glass something which they complaints(especially my bhabi), poor built quality etc.
He(we) are happy with the Swift's engine though. In fact he was first few to get first lot DDiS in Bangalore as he blindly loves Maruti as most of Indians.

My brother in law bought Getz prime 1.3 GLX from Advaith B'lore.
And after that we(brother,bhabi,sister,bro-in law) are Fida over this car.
Price apart, Getz Prime is a better car over Swift! seems to be the feeling after having experiance with both cars within the family from past 1 year.

So to me Getz CRDi was abvious choice from the current lot.(That might change if we had Punto,Fabia though not confident over the price front)

But I am too upset with GVS CRDi features, actually for OTR 6.6, I was expecting atleast it should've been GLS CRDi with ABS and alloy as option. And also crazy waiting period.

I am thinking throwing alloy and tubeless on this.Its good that CRDi Getz has 175/65 R14( its the same in GLX).

I'll take TD this weekend at Ring road Advaith(near Intel), then decide.

And looking forward for more TD experiences from all of you.

thanks
Anju-Bangalore
Closed Thread

Most Viewed