Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2007, 20:04   #496
BHPian

Getz D is still not available in Pune for TD.
Sanjay Hyundai sales guys tells, TD will be available after 2nd Nov.
Old 26th October 2007, 20:34   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
How fast you wanna go vabs78 ?,

There is serious threat to life if you think of driving beyond 120 on even
I understand what you are saying, but its a question of individual preferences and decisions.

What I want to know is: How would it perform if I try to take a corner at ~100kph? Or how confident it feels to take corners at fairly high speeds? We can compare the feeling with Swift to see if its good enough.

I think this will decide the FTD factor of the car and thats what I am interested in.
Old 26th October 2007, 20:44   #498
BHPian

This car had potential, hyundai killed it with there horrendous price.
So when the disconts starts???
Old 26th October 2007, 20:53   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
What I want to know is: How would it perform if I try to take a corner at ~100kph? Or how confident it feels to take corners at fairly high speeds? We can compare the feeling with Swift to see if its good enough.
Not comparable. The swift is presented almost ready to us with handling capabilities. A strut brace would be a waste. Only suspension is lacking.

Im not saying Getz has 0 cornering potential, but one needs atleast 195 or 205 to be able to use the powerhorse of an engine.

@ANJU : I dont think the CRDI engine is anywhere as silent as the DDis. Also I urge you to upsize to 195/55/15 or fatter rubber instead of just adding aftermarket alloys.

The fear expressed regarding braking is concerned with coming to a sudden halt at high speeds. With an engine like this I dont see myself staying at 120 on the highways. Throw a cow into the equation and thats where the need for ABS/4 discs etc comes in.

For city driving the braking is sufficient. An upsize would help though as stock rubber would get chewed in no time.

Enjoy your car
Old 26th October 2007, 21:01   #500
Senior - BHPian

LOL, Akshay and Souljah for calling me crazy.

ACI rated the Swift higher then the Getz.
Old 26th October 2007, 21:15   #501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
LOL, Akshay and Souljah for calling me crazy.

. remember the editor has a swift himself so why shouldnt he rate it higher than the getz.

on a serious note - i cant blame them for rating it higher especially after looking at the interiors of the getz, the fact that it dosent have abs, and that its undertyred.

OT - i still havent found autocars november issue. no magazine wallah has it.
Old 27th October 2007, 00:16   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Not comparable. The swift is presented almost ready to us with handling capabilities. A strut brace would be a waste. Only suspension is lacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
That is a shame.

Powerful engine + not so good handling + under tiered + pathetic interior + 6.6 OTR
Old 27th October 2007, 00:42   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
Usually high powered/torqued cars perform better in lower speeds(0-80 kmph) because they have higher speed-power and speed to torque curves/graphs compared to low powered cars.

So Zipping is practially useful than going at high speed of 100 and beyond.
In typical Indian road scenrios you cant/are not drive high speed(beyod say 100-120) you have to be driving in Pune-Mumbai express highways to drive fast.
There is serious threat to life if you think of driving beyond 120 on even highways because you never know who comes(animal/vehicles) unlike USA/Europe Highways/freeways !!!..

110 BHP is useful for Zipping(bet 0-90 kmph).This is the only practical use of high powerd cars
That was a new term learnt, in fact old term in a new perspective - Zipping! Meaning going 0-90 thru stop and go and interruptive traffic.

However I would like to disagree to your first statement. With more power/torque, not only "zipping" potential increases but as a whole a vehicle gets more capable of reaching higher speeds depending on gearing etc.

Now handling is not to be discussed in terms of how does the car turn at speeds upwards of a fixed speed. It is more in tune with how does the car handle in general. How eager is it, in changing direction. How does the steering communicate the surface conditions. How much does the body dance laterally before actually making a significant change of direction.

At crawling speeds it doesn't matter, anything beyond that, even a sprinting squirrel can bring out the handling disabilities of much a slower car (just the type, the handling of which is almost not given a thought).

Last edited by 1100D : 27th October 2007 at 00:45.
Old 27th October 2007, 00:53   #504
Senior - BHPian

The thing which goes in favour of the Swift is the handling, the looks, the 2kmpl more FE, the slightly more refined engine and the 70000 price gap with still more features like Fogs, ABS.
Old 27th October 2007, 09:05   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However I would like to disagree to your first statement. With more power/torque, not only "zipping" potential increases but as a whole a vehicle gets more capable of reaching higher speeds depending on gearing etc.
This is the other thing I wanted to point out to Anju, its only because of the gearing that the CRDI will atleast be suitable for city driving. How often you would hit speeds of 90 is debatable as the traffic situation in namma bengaluru has really deteriorated. The availability of low torque is just an added bonus for when you find a short open stretch.

For the "zipping" even an Alto or Xing would suffice. The 110 horses is for a different ballgame altogether.

Hope you dont think Im attacking your decision for choosing the Getz. Its a fantastic vehicle. In fact I blocked a car on day 1 itself. Your reason for buying and also not opting for an upsize dont seem to add up.
Old 27th October 2007, 10:26   #506
Senior - BHPian

After spending the last three years here on TBHP, I am convinced that Hyundai will never be able to come out with a vehicle that the 'sporty' driver perceives as good.

Because in their mind this manufacturer is blacklisted.

Honda brought out an OHC that couldnt handle for nuts, had a pathetic ride and came with really cheapo interiors and it instantly became the god of all things fast. Suzuki brought out a Baleno that was put together using Maltova cans and had an overhyped engine, yet nobody worried about its safety. Then Fiat brought out the Palio with crappy interiors and non-existent support and we saw everyone sporting a '100 bhp' tag.

Here you get a 110bhp engine with bucketfuls of torque, a well built car with decent interiors (I speak about the petrol Getz here) and everyone here has to worry about tyres, handling, interiors and what not. People go out of their way to find faults - with some questions as to the usability of all that power and torque in city.

Sure the handling isnt to race specs, and yes it does lack ABS and tires. Are these insurmountable issues, and more importantly are these issues that have stopped people from buying other 'performance' cars? I think not.

No car is perfect in all respects. Do the pros outweigh the cons is what one should normally be looking at.

So why blame this one alone? Because its a Hyundai, thats why.

And because its horribly overpriced - and here I agree.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th October 2007 at 10:27.
Old 27th October 2007, 10:38   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Honda brought out an OHC that couldnt handle for nuts, had a pathetic ride and came with really cheapo interiors and it instantly became the god of all things fast. Suzuki brought out a Baleno that was put together using Maltova cans and had an overhyped engine, yet nobody worried about its safety. Then Fiat brought out the Palio with crappy interiors and non-existent support and we saw everyone sporting a '100 bhp' tag.

Here you get a 110bhp engine with bucketfuls of torque, a well built car with decent interiors (I speak about the petrol Getz here) and everyone here has to worry about tyres, handling, interiors and what not. People go out of their way to find faults - with some questions as to the usability of all that power and torque in city.

Sure the handling isnt to race specs, and yes it does lack ABS and tires. Are these insurmountable issues, and more importantly are these issues that have stopped people from buying other 'performance' cars? I think not.

No car is perfect in all respects. Do the pros outweigh the cons is what one should normally be looking at.

Exactly , That seems to be a curse of this segment . Not one car which can do everything well. You have to compromise on something.
On the pricing front a non VGT Verna would have brought down the price by 30K atleast.
Old 27th October 2007, 10:53   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
After spending the last three years here on TBHP, I am convinced that Hyundai will never be able to come out with a vehicle that the 'sporty' driver perceives as good.

Because in their mind this manufacturer is blacklisted.

So why blame this one alone? Because its a Hyundai, thats why.

And because its horribly overpriced - and here I agree.
Cheers mate!! U SAID IT!

Elito
Old 27th October 2007, 11:00   #509
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with Steer "No car is perfect in all respects"
So many ppl here are cursing the Getz D for having punny tyres and no ABS even without driving one..
I've driven Getz petrol at high speeds with punny 155 tyres and i found the braking was fantastic..

But i feel Hyundai has done a bad job in launching this scorcher of a hatchback..

Last edited by kpzen : 27th October 2007 at 11:03.
Old 27th October 2007, 11:55   #510
BHPian

well the palio 100bhp never had abs and all the stuff we are saying lacks in getz crdi, however the palio does have low pricing. But for the price it comes at the getz crdi has potential, potential to be peted to go beyond 110bhp. Suspension maybe tunable, discs can be added and rubber can be upsized. I think we have a good performance hatch compared to all the earlier ones available (palio, srv, etc). No performance car comes with all the goodies at 7 lacs. People normally build it into one over time and with getz crdi you surely can do that without ever having to touch the engine!! If you want the whole 9 yards built into a performance car which rolls out of the factory. go for a ferrari!!

The only reason left to cry over how bad getz crdi is the bad launch, which is not really needed as the small market of high performance hatches means they sell low numbers and have a low marketing budget, so less marketting hoopla needed cos suprisingly the people like few of us who want a performance hatch already know about getz crdi one way or other)
AND ofcourse the other reason which makes us malign this car is the age old dialogue which you also hear in fast n furious by Haan "you roll with me now, you think I'm going to let you drive around in a HYUNDAAIIII"

Last edited by jassi : 27th October 2007 at 11:57.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks