Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2007, 10:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, I'd prefer to buy a Hyundai since their cars and service are good and they have a dealership close to my home. But all their cars are heavily overpriced compared to their closest competition. Santro is the only exception, but I already own a Santro.

If the Tucson was available at current Grand Vitara price, I would have gone for it.
Old 30th September 2007, 11:02   #17
BHPian

i see a diffrent thing- there may be some good elantras for picking in the used car market now
Old 30th September 2007, 11:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

anyone know how much diesel Elantras are going at now ? Definitely worth a look.
Old 30th September 2007, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If the Tucson was available at current Grand Vitara price, I would have gone for it.
If the Tucson was available at the current Scorpio 4WD price, I might have gone for it.
Old 30th September 2007, 12:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Samurai , why dont you try, they might have one in stock and will give you a good discount on it too.
Old 30th September 2007, 13:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai dealers in Calcutta were never too keen on selling the Tuscon. When I wanted to trade in my Elantra CRDi, they kept on pushing the new Sonata. At 17L otr, the Tuscon didn't make any sense though. When I asked about discounts, they gave me the whole "CBU hai sir" story. Pity actually. It was a decent soft roader.
Old 30th September 2007, 13:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Okay with the Elantra, but I am darn surprised that the Tucson has not sold well in India. Especially when the CRV is a hot-seller. The Tucson had a nice engine and pretty well-sorted ride / handling characteristics.
There is nothing in it that differentiates it from the rest. It doesn't have the best engine (CRV), ride (Safari, Pajero), handling (CRV), VFM (Vitara), off roading (Pajero), presence (Endeavour), brand(Pajero, CRV) etc. It does everything reasonably well but doesn't excel in any one area. Hyundai has to understand that this approach works well in the lower end of the market but anything above 10L, consumers look for some differentiation.

Quote:
Even after all these debacles, Hyundai prices their new diesel Getz at 6.6 lacs OTR Mumbai!
Exactly, no wonder it won't sell well.
Old 30th September 2007, 16:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Three months back when were out to buy a new car we asked for elantra,hyundai's regional office told us that it is not available as it has been discontinued.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

2 Units the Entire Month

Gosh , Indians Really Are choosy
Old 1st October 2007, 12:39   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
When Hyundai were planning to launch Accent in India, MARG did some market research for them. Hearsay is that Hyundai was planning to launch Accent at 50k lower than Esteem, and priced it above after taking MARG's advice. Apparently people thought that cheaper car is no upgrade. What I am trying to hint at is the margin they were working with all the while.
Interesting post, and no doubt the strategy had truth in it. I remember reading on an authentic carpet dealer once. He priced a newly acquired "classic" carpet at $500 or something. His regular clientelle didnt give it a second look. Sometime later, he raised the price to more than double. Yup, you guessed it...sold in the same week!
Old 1st October 2007, 12:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Interesting post, and no doubt the strategy had truth in it. I remember reading on an authentic carpet dealer once. He priced a newly acquired "classic" carpet at $500 or something. His regular clientelle didnt give it a second look. Sometime later, he raised the price to more than double. Yup, you guessed it...sold in the same week!
Can't agree more...

The Marketing mantra... "Price the product at which the users will want it
(and not at making cost)"...

No wonder Hondas and Toyotas are priced easily higher...
Old 1st October 2007, 13:08   #27
BHPian

Saw a Santa Fe (unmasked) parked in Hotel Tamilnadu (in GQ) in Krishnagiri. It carried some consulate like license plates (3CC****). Looked good.
Old 1st October 2007, 17:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

from what i read there was no mention about the phasing out the Tucson, they mentioned the Terracan though but that was already phased out months ago?? Maybe i missed something.
Old 1st October 2007, 17:08   #29
BHPian

Samurai, I saw some ads a week ago in the classifieds for 2006 elantra - asking price was 5.65 lakhs. May be this will give you some idea
Old 10th October 2007, 13:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Tucson certainly is a good car. Infact, it has more VFM than the CRV. Here is a pic of one i just spotted a couple of days back. It looked pretty good.

X

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks