Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2007, 09:05   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually I spoke to the local dealer. He denied that Tuscon was being phased out, according to him the bigger Santa Fe will be sold along with smaller Tucson. The news report is only speculating about Tucson phase out. Also, there is no discount whatsoever. And it costs 19.05L on road in Karnataka.

Check this:

No security features like immobilizer or alarm.
No automatic climate control.
Has only cloth upholestry.
No DVD or reverse camera. Just MP3 player.
No remote keyless entry

The only redeeming quality it has is the safety factor, which doesn't sell well in India. It has ABS, dual Airbags, TCS, all disk brakes and has 5 star crash rating in everything.
yet the C-RV hasn't done well in the crash tests yet has a waiting list, here you need brand image that sells
Old 13th October 2007, 09:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

One of reasons being cited for the Tucson phase-out is that hardly anyone could get the spelling right nor pronounce it correctly.
Old 13th October 2007, 10:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, thanks for the heads-up. Its disappointing to hear about the lack of features being offered at that high a price but seeing their offerings on the Tucson, it really doesn't surprise me.

19 lacs, jeez, ridiculous, looks like their price strategy for SUVs is radically opposite to their car pricing!
Old 13th October 2007, 10:23   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its not just about poor marketing.

Santro is a good car at a good car. Can't say the same for the rest of the lot! Either the car is good, pricing is bad OR pricing is good, car is not upto the mark.
yes you are right bro. It is also the reason, the way they messed up with Getz Price. Actually they tried Honda's platform for the price. But they have a bit weak brand if compared with Honda. Talking of the performance Hyundai is ahead in power....
Accent GLS 1.6L - Gem
Verna VGT - Gem
Elantra - Gem
New Elantra - have a very good response outside india and also coming in 2.0 VGT against Magnum with more power than magnum
Sonata Gold - Issues with the design else again a very good car.
Sonata Embera - Performance wise ahead of Accord and Diesel Ver. 6 speed manual ahead of Magnum.
Azera - Launching next year with v6. I had seen it at plaza motors, mathura road. Damn it is a spacious and bigger car with awesome very big alloys. When i had seen for the first time (Side vision) i was shocked to see a Big BMW Standing inside the service Station... but when i had a close look, Oh Boy! it is not a BMW dang it is Hyundai Azera. Wow!
SantaFe - Next year launch, 2.2L VGT and 2.7 V6 People are Loving it over Land Rover as they started trusting Hyundai more than Ford. It is funny to say but for a normal person it is.. SUV Offroad and On Road.
Next year end expecting Hyundai Concept Genesis - against BMW and Merc. and having a powerful engine of 4.7L V8 24 valve over 300+ hp 20" Alloys and more spacious and more features than BMW and merc. at the same price.
Tucson - No Comments as i havnt studied much about it and thats for sure i havnt seen any of the ads or any type of marketing done for this thing.

There is a growth of approx 23-25% in Hyundai technology per year.
In America price tag of Concept Genesis is around 38k USD. But it will surely go down.
Hyundai Concept Genesis:

and check out its launch at youtube... awesome aggressive looks wow

Not many people knows about the fact that Sonata VGT have more torque and power than magnum. Why? because it is a Sonata, and a Hyundai and ofcourse how can we forget the poor marketing for Hyundai.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:49   #50
BHPian

Hyundai on a way down.

Hyundai did well initial stages but now they have become very complacent of their growth. getz diesel was launched in urgency due to very poor sales of getz petrol. even santro sales are also sliding down, sonata tunes still arent working.
it seems hyundai is also having major issues in its factory. korean domination is too much it seems and workers are not happy. Many of the indian top managments have also resigned due to the korean dictatorship style.
i think hyundai mgmt the is dreaming tooo big and reality is not what the dream. i am happy out nations car maker like tata are doing really great. but they need to improve
Old 13th October 2007, 14:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

OMG!
After the Accord copy, they've copied the new Camry!
Old 13th October 2007, 14:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OMG!
After the Accord copy, they've copied the new Camry!
hahaha camry
this is camry

and now here are 2 more pics of Hyundai Genesis

At NY Auto Show

and the 2nd one... the display image

And now check this out Tail Light resembles BMW

Old 13th October 2007, 15:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Read more about the Genesis here

Hyundai themselves say the car looks like a Lexus, maybe the Camry equivalent Lexus.
Old 15th October 2007, 15:34   #54
BHPian

Bad product strategy

The Embera's success in the US is due to the fact that they fitted it out with the best trim and priced it lower than the accord. In India, they compromised on the trim - and priced it lower than the accord - normal thinking would be - accord with a lower trim = price as the embera - lets go for the accord with a better brand image. The moment you go to the 12+ category, people want classy interiors.. The Tuscon and the Embera suffered on this count.. CRV, Accord, Camry and Laura succeeded.. It is not bad marketing, but bad product strategy and positioning.
Old 15th October 2007, 16:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
The Embera's success in the US is due to the fact that they fitted it out with the best trim and priced it lower than the accord. In India, they compromised on the trim - and priced it lower than the accord - normal thinking would be - accord with a lower trim = price as the embera - lets go for the accord with a better brand image. The moment you go to the 12+ category, people want classy interiors.. The Tuscon and the Embera suffered on this count.. CRV, Accord, Camry and Laura succeeded.. It is not bad marketing, but bad product strategy and positioning.
Well..!! Only 2 things in which Accord had taken over Sonata Embera...
1. Poor Marketing of Sonata.
2. Weaker Brand Image of Hyundai if compared with Honda.

My money will be there on Sonata Embera because of the following reasons:
1. Better Handling with Compared with Accord.
2. Awesome power infact much more than Accord 2.4L
3. Less Price Tag.
4. Cheap in Maintainance if compared to Accord.
5. Better Performance 25 HP more than Accord 2.4L Dang with much more torqier than Accord.

But yes, you are right people want classy Interiors, everybody have their own views. Honda's Quality in terms of Interiors is superb no doubt.
and Sonata's Interiors are not the worst lol but I want performance for which we have Hyundai,
Old 15th October 2007, 16:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Samurai, thanks for the heads-up. Its disappointing to hear about the lack of features being offered at that high a price but seeing their offerings on the Tucson, it really doesn't surprise me.

19 lacs, jeez, ridiculous, looks like their price strategy for SUVs is radically opposite to their car pricing!
,absolutly true
the pricing is indeed rdiculus
infact i feel the entire D segment is unreasonably priced
even the most reasonable cars in the lot are atleast 1-2 lacs morethan they should be
Old 15th October 2007, 16:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

personally i love hyundai product range ad i feel its worth buying a hyundai in any given price range except for tucson (this car would be fine at a price range of 13-15 lacs)
even looks wise i like embera more than accord
and the above genesis more than the camry
Old 15th October 2007, 23:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
personally i love hyundai product range ad i feel its worth buying a hyundai in any given price range except for tucson (this car would be fine at a price range of 13-15 lacs)
even looks wise i like embera more than accord
and the above genesis more than the camry
i read many many forums and even on youtube comments that Hyundai is becoming a real threat to Toyota outside india and upcoming New Elantra will be the biggest threat to Corolla and Civic with its price tag going around 9 lakh and also VFM car if compared with Corolla and Civic. Even among Americans Hyundai being a very weak brand, but Sonata is been compared to Accords and Camry and many magz compared the performance. Sonata Embera Win.
Performance: Sonata
Design: ofcourse Camry.
Fuel Economy: Sonata
After sale service: Sonata

It is highly popular among many many people just because they are getting a VFM car with good fuel economy along with extreme power.
Old 21st October 2007, 02:29   #59
BHPian

If Accent was priced 1 lakh more than esteem, it is definitely worth more than that.
Esteem is a tin sheet with a superb engine - however that's not the only thing that people look for in a car. It gives an unsafe feel esp at higher speeds.
I have seen people bashing Hyundai blindly - I think that's the effect of having been to the US once where Hyundai doesn't command respect as much as it's euro or Jap counterparts?
Old 21st October 2007, 13:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post

Its not just that. Hyundai has succeeded in VFM segment in US (Accord/Camry etc). In India, Accord/Camry etc are premium cars. Hyundai hasn't succeeded in premium markets in US yet.

Hyundai as a brand, is seen as VFM brand in India. Irrespective of price/positioning of Embera in Indian market, success is going to be very hard for Hyundai in Premium segment. Over time when the purchase power in India increases and Accord/Camry segment becomes not-so-premium, Hyundai would be very successful in there.

The Japanese cars faced the same issue in US and hence they introduced Lexus/Infinity/Acura. These brands were created and positioned as premium brands because Toyota/Nissan/Honda were perceived as cheap/efficient/reliable cars.

I won't be surprised if Hyundai goes the same route eventually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks