Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Most of the drivers also take pride in the fact that they are the 'official' drivers of CEOs, Netas, etc. and owners trust them more than their own blood. A good driver is as good as a family member. A good cook is another key family member :-)

yup.. i agree with you completly..
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:58   #17
BHPian

I remember reading(the hindu) about a centre in Chennai and in Bangalore that owns and rents out these luxury cars also teaches their drivers every aspect of driving as well as etiquettes. Hence you see them very polite and a safe road user.

cant search that link..sorry
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Very simple. It is all to do with the boss and not the cost of the car. These drivers never drive rash no matter which car they drive (to a large extent.) Boss will get angry if his economic times newspaper shakes while reading in the car.

Drivers who are not disciplined get fired. So ultimately the disciplined drivers settle with these owners (with better pay). Once the driver is found to be good, no one lets go off him. Not surprisingly, the disciplined drivers are the ones who work for the same boss for many years. Most of the drivers also take pride in the fact that they are the 'official' drivers of CEOs, Netas, etc. and owners trust them more than their own blood. A good driver is as good as a family member. A good cook is another key family member :-)

I totally agree with you on this. Even the driver for my dad's government car was very careful and very disciplined. He was the person who taught me driving and also swearing if some one cuts you off or scratches or dents the car.

And being a government maintained car, never ever did I see him resort to unlawful ways to make a quick buck. Even after my dad's retirement, whenever we needed a driver we used to call him to drive our car until he got too old to drive anymore.

It also depends on how good a person he is in the first place.
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hmm.. dont agree.. drivers atleast here still drive even big cars rashly.. seen drivers drive the luxury cars like 800's when the owner isnt present...
i second you on that. I have seen a driver drivinng a E-class merc like CRAZY.

and once i met with an accident with driver who was driving a merc s class. i was waiting at the bandra - mahim signal and this star came and banged me from behind. even though it was a minor accident, i was wondering isnt this guy carefull. . . .
Old 4th October 2007, 16:55   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Forget chauffeurs; anyone will change their driving style when driving an expensive car in our traffic conditions. The cost of damage is just too high to ignore.

That said, I second Lambo. Mercedes India did offer some kind of driver training program. Even Volvo does for its commercial vehicles.
Is the driver training program FREE or charged ?

Most Viewed