Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 17:57   #1
BHPian

Second Hand car pricing in Hyderabad

I have always felt that the second hand prices for cars in Hyderabad is on the high side. Today while casually browsing carwale.com I saw an offer entry - Used 2004 Hindustan Motors Ambassador Classic 2000 DSZ AC - Rs.3,35,000 (Distance done 30K)

I was amazed at this price expectations. I really do not know what would be the correct expected price (Carewale say 2 Lakhs) but I found it to be ridiculously high. There are no extra fittings mentioned.

So, am I missing something, or am I right in believing that people here really do not know how to evaluate their vehicles.
Old 4th October 2007, 18:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

I do not know about this particular Amby but then for more popular cars the used car prices in Hyderabad is always on the higher side compared to most other parts of the country.

One of the reasons I see for this is the overflowing demand for used cars. Were you aware that an astounding 52% or more cars here are pre-used cars? This in turn causes the owners/dealers to ask for whimsical prices. 2 years back when I was looking for some used cars I stumbled upon a used red Zen diesel (old jellybean design back) which had clocked some 83000 kms or so (can't recall the exact kms but was 80 something) and was 6+ years old. Automart India was asking for 3,85,000 for the car. Can you beat that? I was so astounded that I got into an argument on why it should be priced so crazily. They thought I was really interested in that car and grudgingly agreed to reduce it to 3,60,000 only for me.

When I said that even if I wanted that car (I did not want a car that had already clocked so many kms and was so old) I would not probably pay a penny more than 2, 2.1 lakhs they almost laughed me out of their offices. The manager laughed almost derisively at my audacity and said "sahab aap nahi lenge koi aur aake le jaayega. yeh koi maine sajaa ke rakhne ke liye nahi kharida hai"...

So there you are. There are many crazy sellers, sure. But then there is an even bigger number of nutty junta out there who are willing to buy at any price.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th October 2007 at 18:24.
Old 5th October 2007, 00:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure about what other cities you're comparing the prices with, but the prices are way cheaper than the prices in KK. I posted some comparative prices of Balenos in another thread and Hyd cars were over 50k cheaper.
Old 5th October 2007, 14:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

There may be vehicles are cheaper in hyd compared to Bangy.But Used cars market is on the higher side,than any other markets round the country.In used vehicles market ,hyd stands at top.few months back we were scouting for a Alto for my frnd after almost searchin for a Month for a right price and vehicle,Finally got a 2004 Alto LX for 2.4 lacs from TVS Mycar.similar vehicle would have been available for much less in other markets like Delhi,Mumbai and Surat(bardoli).i have even seen 99' Maruti 800 with 2 owners in past, fetching over 1.5 lacs.Similar is the case with used 2 wheeler , 2000 model kinetic zx fetches 8-10k's at the max in most parts of india ,But even that is offered for 16-18k's.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:06   #5
BHPian

Check out Bharatautomobiles and sulekha they are better, however all depends on one to one dealing with the seller.
Old 5th October 2007, 22:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I have always felt that the second hand prices for cars in Hyderabad is on the high side. Today while casually browsing carwale.com I saw an offer entry - Used 2004 Hindustan Motors Ambassador Classic 2000 DSZ AC - Rs.3,35,000 (Distance done 30K)

I was amazed at this price expectations. I really do not know what would be the correct expected price (Carewale say 2 Lakhs) but I found it to be ridiculously high. There are no extra fittings mentioned.

So, am I missing something, or am I right in believing that people here really do not know how to evaluate their vehicles.
maybe its a turboed Amby, with 19" rims and MB Quarts man.
the price is 1.5 max.
Old 6th October 2007, 09:45   #7
BHPian

You've got to bargain and you've got to bargain hard.. Preferably, take some friend/ mechanic along with you and psyche the dealer even before buying the vehicle.. I took one mechanic along with me and he produced a bill of 50000/- even before buying the car.. So i used that figure to bargain hard for the car. And got it for a good deal.. I bought a 2003 PalioD that had clocked a reasonable 44500 or so for 2.35L + 10k insurance.. The original asking price was 3L
Old 26th February 2008, 19:00   #8
BHPian

Ok, reviving this thread just to blow off some steam.
I'm seriously thinking of going for a second-hand hatch (Zen or Alto 1.1). Was going through various site, and saw this offer in carwale.com.
Zen vxi - July 2002
Milage - 30000
Asking price Rs 285000!!!

Maruti True Value themself have priced a vxi 2003 model done 43672 at Rs 280000! The above price really bugs me as people just jack-up prices here in Hyd. And the sad part is that I'm sure there are some 'kind and generous' people who pay such prices!

Best part is that insurance is not paid and they are claiming a milage of 18 kmpl!!! (ps: it is a dealer who is selling the car)
Old 26th February 2008, 23:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Ok, reviving this thread just to blow off some steam.
I'm seriously thinking of going for a second-hand hatch (Zen or Alto 1.1). Was going through various site, and saw this offer in carwale.com.
Zen vxi - July 2002
Milage - 30000
Asking price Rs 285000!!!

Maruti True Value themself have priced a vxi 2003 model done 43672 at Rs 280000! The above price really bugs me as people just jack-up prices here in Hyd. And the sad part is that I'm sure there are some 'kind and generous' people who pay such prices!

Best part is that insurance is not paid and they are claiming a milage of 18 kmpl!!! (ps: it is a dealer who is selling the car)
Dude, I suggest you to keep away from the true value/used car bazaar ect.
The best deal would be to negotiate and buy from the seller him self. For that u can pick up the classifieds section of the Sunday edition of Deccan chronicle.
Check the car out negotiate directly with the seller, If ur not about the condition show it to a mechanic to acess its condition.
I'll tell u what i came across, there was this neat maroon innova at the true value show room at lakdi ka pul, i though a 2nd hand would be a good deal, enquired about it and found out its a base model no power steering/music sys, body colored bumpers...asking price 9.5L came down too 8.75 lakhs thats that. and guess how much he offered for my mint condition, 5 month, 1200Km old Icon? 2.5L
At that price, why wouldnt I go and buy myself a new innova with some features rather than buy that?
And he taunts me saying, the only cars that have re sale is the indica..
Old 26th February 2008, 23:40   #10
BHPian

And yea, bargain and bargain a lot.
And dont make it seem like ur very entusiastic about buying the car, always show that u have a healthy alternative at hand.
Old 27th February 2008, 06:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

in Chennai the used car prices are less compared to other cities in Tamilnadu , because they say that its a seashore area , and the sea content in the air reduces the life of the body . Dont know the exact reason . Anyone got a clear answer for this?
Old 27th February 2008, 06:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
in Chennai the used car prices are less compared to other cities in Tamilnadu , because they say that its a seashore area , and the sea content in the air reduces the life of the body . Dont know the exact reason . Anyone got a clear answer for this?
Yes,it does effect the car's price, the older the car the lesser its preferred for a buy.
The reason is that the sea water contains salt which causes corrosion of the metal body and the body starts rusting also the humidity in coastal area's is high so it acts as a catalyst for body rust.
But i guess the bodies of cars now days are double/triple galvanized so corrosion/rust shouldn't be as much a problem.
Old cars have no or little protection other than the paint, so we'd got the insides of the doors covered in pitch to avoid rust an corrosion on the 118NE, has worked well till date.

Last edited by gendarmee : 27th February 2008 at 07:07.
Old 27th February 2008, 07:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Yes,it does effect the car's price, the older the car the lesser its preferred for a buy.
The reason is that the sea water contains salt which causes corrosion of the metal body and the body starts rusting also the humidity in coastal area's is high so it acts as a catalyst for body rust.
But i guess the bodies of cars now days are double/triple galvanised so corrosion/rust shouldnt be as much a problem.
Old cars have no or little protection other than the paint, so we'd got the insides of the doors covered in pitch to avoid rust an corrision, has worked well till date.
But many people doesnt know that the new technology has prevented this problem . Still the chennai cars cheaper when compared to other cities here. We get M800 97 model at 60000 to 70000 in chennai . Almost to the price of a new 150cc bike .
Old 27th February 2008, 07:06   #14
BHPian

That also depends on the condition and other things right?
I have this aunty who got a wagon R so sold her 98' 35000Km White M800 for 70K, it was a car in very good condition & that was the best price she got for it.
Old 27th February 2008, 07:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
That also depends on the condition and other things right?
I have this aunty who got a wagon R so sold her 98' 35000Km White M800 for 70K, it was a car in very good condition & that was the best price she got for it.
buyers doesnt believe the kms run(mileage) , as they think the meter would have been reversed . They check the date of purchase , Type of Owner and just have a glance on the condition of the car and decide the price . Many buyers doesnt know how to determine the condition of the car , and doesnt know how to find whether the doors of the car has been changed due to accident and reduce the value accordingly.

Most Viewed