Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 15:21   #46
BHPian

5-door jimny

Jimny the new Gypsy?-jimny4doors.jpg

image source

I don't know if it is a real modification or Photoshop'ed but i would prefer the 2 door version. 4 door version will lose the Jimny's character. Also Japanese version styling looks better than European version. Hmmm, if at all maruti releases one or other version. Maruti brand and rugged image will make jimny sell better than fusions, fabias and srvs (considering all are niche products)
Old 5th August 2008, 15:41   #47
BHPian

This looks more like an elongated Wagon R with a better GC and larger wheel base.Is it me or does it look like that!

Cheers
Shrey
Old 5th August 2008, 16:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy replacement is much awaited by all the 4x4 fans. Anything like Jimny will become a big hit instantly. (But not 4x4 SX4 Hatch, can't call it a compact SUV) Suzuki India is pricing their models fairly well, and they have had success over competition. This will open up a new segment of compact 4x4 SUV in India with a benchmark pricing. Then other companies will get their offerings like Toyota Rush etc.
Old 5th August 2008, 17:29   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
There's interesting info on the GLOBAL SUZUKI website. They have an SUV called the XL7 but since the GV is there it makes no sense to bring the larger vehicle now.
The XL7 is a GM/Daewoo product. Shares the GM Theta platform. GM owns a stake in Suzuki.
Old 5th August 2008, 17:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here are some specs. Has PS and a 40 liter tank. Gets about 12.4 city/hwy kpl.
Attached Thumbnails
Jimny the new Gypsy?-jimny-specs.jpg  

Old 5th August 2008, 17:52   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
This looks more like an elongated Wagon R with a better GC and larger wheel base.Is it me or does it look like that!
You're not alone. At first glance, it does look like a widened, elongated, elevated Wagon R with the spare on the tailgate.
Old 5th August 2008, 18:26   #52
BHPian

Dan.. i think they are old specs. Suzuki website has quite different specs

JIMNY SPECS

1461cc
63kW @ 3750 rpm
200Nm @ 1750 rpm
FE: 14 - 18 kpl
Old 5th August 2008, 18:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Dan.. i think they are old specs. Suzuki website has quite different specs

JIMNY SPECS

1461cc
63kW @ 3750 rpm
200Nm @ 1750 rpm
FE: 14 - 18 kpl
Could be, good find.
Old 5th August 2008, 19:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG
I just hope they first launch the SWB Jimny before year end
I think you're dreaming too much,my friend.

In India, a 2-door vehicle wont do volumes. And Maruti isn't interested in anything other than volumes at less than 10 lakh rupee market.
If they make a 4x4 4 door LWB suzuki in India, it'll eat into the GV sales which wont look lucrative.
Most probably, they'll concoct two extra doors on the current SWB Jimny and sell it.
Old 6th August 2008, 14:41   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hrag: You are absolutely bang on.
In 2004 they had showcased the Jimny at Koramangala Indoor Stadium in Bangalore - at that time they said it might come out into the Indian Market as a replacement vehicle for the Gypsy.
However, this vehicle is a 2 door and while it has the spare mounted on the rear tailgate etc, actually looks just like a WagonR albeit a slightly bigger version. It probably has been concocted using that same platform.

I used to drive a Gypsy at that time so I went to see what this new beast was like. It looks very cute and I have even seen one or two while travelling abroad - particularly Mainland Europe and the UK, invariably being driven by a lady with one or two little kids in it - possibly on the school run.
In comparison with the current Gypsy however, the only advantage if it can be called that, is a weatherproof hardtop and a slightly more well put together sort of vehicle.
I have no idea what will happen if you throw some rocks at it or take it onto a road with mud, clay and a garnish of slush etc.
But it will certainly be well engineered before it hits the market either as a 2 door or 4 door version, whichever Maruti believes will do better. And if they do launch this with the DDiS engine, it will really become a little baby rock crawler and I would love to own one. Not sure how expensive it will be though!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
You're not alone. At first glance, it does look like a widened, elongated, elevated Wagon R with the spare on the tailgate.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just wishing a few days back that Maruti would release some sub-10 lakhs diesel (S)UV. If only wishes were horses!
Old 6th August 2008, 15:10   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i wish - this would truly be a good idea to have that SX4 Hatch / Crossover (AWD) version here in India.

but IMO, the Jimny 4WD as is in whatever configuration 2 door or 4 door/5 door if launched in the petrol and diesel variants, will fill up the desperate gap in sub 7-8 lac SUV/ Jeep/ Runabout type vehicles. Provided of course it is priced right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Yes, this was my first thought too. I think Suzuki should launch this hatch version of SX4, which looks far better than the sedan version.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th August 2008 at 15:24.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:18   #58
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i sincerely pray and hope they bring down a real offroader like the jimny and not launch a softroader like sx4.
Old 6th August 2008, 18:50   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think we can all dream on.

If Maruthi was serious about offering a good off-roader, all they would need to do is to plonk the diesel engine in the gypsy and add power steering. I would pick it any day over the Gurkha, import diff-locks/lsd and install it in the gypsy. Guys the recreational 4x4 market is a drop in the bucket and Indian manufacturers frankly don't care about this segment. As much as we like to diss Force motors, they are the only ones who offer a product in this category. This is solely because they developed the product for the export market and decided to offer the same product in the Indian market.

We have decent products that Mahindras can launch to fill this niche, but they don't care. Neither does Maruthi. Until the import duties are slashed and more foreign players come in, all we can really do is to modify the existing products to meet our needs. I will bet you guys a 100 bucks that we won't see a diesel Jimny.
Old 6th August 2008, 22:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think we can all dream on. ...Guys the recreational 4x4 market is a drop in the bucket and Indian manufacturers frankly don't care about this segment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think we can all dream on. ...Guys the recreational 4x4 market is a drop in the bucket and Indian manufacturers frankly don't care about this segment.... I will bet you guys a 100 bucks that we won't see a diesel Jimny.
I am willing to bet a 1000 bucks on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
i sincerely pray and hope they bring down a real offroader like the jimny and not launch a softroader like sx4.
NIP, I dont think the Jimny will be a true off-roader in the same category as the Gypsy.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 6th August 2008 at 22:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks