Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is a Skoda more expensive to own than the rest?
Yes 132 85.16%
No 23 14.84%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 17:30   #121
BHPian

Sorry , forgot to mention its a vRS ..
Old 10th October 2007, 18:21   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea if Skoda cars have higher insurance rates compared to peers?
Let's say Laura vs Accord?

I read on some Skoda related threads that after deregulation of auto insurance in India (which I think has happened) insurance rates for Skoda cars will go up due to expensive spares.

Is this true? And has this happened?
Old 10th October 2007, 21:53   #123
Senior - BHPian

Ranjit,

Glad it worked out nicely. Did you check the rattling of the door on your drive to Pune? And that Engine oil works out about Rs 680 per litre, not bad.

Have a blast driving the beast.
Old 11th October 2007, 11:27   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ranjit,

Glad it worked out nicely. Did you check the rattling of the door on your drive to Pune? And that Engine oil works out about Rs 680 per litre, not bad.

Have a blast driving the beast.
Yes I did actually , and it was sorted out as promised , the car is now running free of any rattles which developed on the drive to Pune from Delhi as I encountered some really bad stretches of road on the way..
Old 11th October 2007, 12:37   #125
BHPian

To all those, who feel a Skoda is expensive to maintain, my suggestion is, don't buy it. You are happy and guys like me who like Skoda and do not think its expensive, are happier.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:23   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Bomi,

You have chosen wrong thread to post your "suggestion" regarding whether people should buy Skoda or not. There is a what car section dedicated for that purpose.

This thread is meant to discuss if Skoda is expensive to maintain compared to other cars in the respective segments. And in this context, your post adds zero value.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:37   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Bomi,

You have chosen wrong thread to post your "suggestion" regarding whether people should buy Skoda or not. There is a what car section dedicated for that purpose.

This thread is meant to discuss if Skoda is expensive to maintain compared to other cars in the respective segments. And in this context, your post adds zero value.
I think he is saying that Skoda is not expensive to maintain. He owns one. You want all the non-owners (who were not offered a test drive) to come here and give their valuable proxy opinions?
Old 11th October 2007, 13:49   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I think he is saying that Skoda is not expensive to maintain. He owns one. You want all the non-owners (who were not offered a test drive) to come here and give their valuable proxy opinions?

In my post #126, I am asking insurance figures from the owners and then expecting peer car owners (like Accord for Laura and Civic for Octy) to state their insurance premium figures. Once this data is available, I can see if a Skoda attracts higher premium compared to other similar valued cars or not.

During the Test Drive, I got the first year insurance figures from the dealer. I just wanted to know if for subsequent years, premium for Skoda comes down at the same rate at which it does for other cars or not.

I always thought insurance is a certain % of ex-showroom value, but I read some posts here that Skoda spares being expensive, the insurance premium is higher!

So apart from ex-showroom value, prices of spares is also a factor in deciding the insurance premium? If so, does this apply to premiums second year onwards?

Posts like "I am happy with my Skoda and I don't care if others are not" are simply wasting T-BHP bandwidth and server space.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:51   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@androdev, you are right that @bomi does not think it is expensive to maintain. And he is also right to feel it does not pinch his pocket to own a Skoda.

However, from what I understood (@RTech correct me if I'm wrong), this thread was created to discuss Skoda maintenance costs vs it's competitors on a factual basis with relevant analysis of the costs.

Poonawala might love his Phantom and think it is not expensive to maintain. But can we conclude from that, that it is less expensive to maintain compared to, say, the Maybach?

Last edited by shuvc : 11th October 2007 at 13:54. Reason: Remebered Sam. Punctuation :)
Old 11th October 2007, 13:58   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
However, from what I understood (@RTech correct me if I'm wrong), this thread was created to discuss Skoda maintenance costs vs it's competitors on a factual basis with relevant analysis of the costs.

Poonawala might love his Phantom and think it is not expensive to maintain. But can we conclude from that, that it is less expensive to maintain compared to, say, the Maybach?
You said it, @shuvc.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:20   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

You can find insurance amounts from:
https://onlinemanager.icicilombard.c...-079625&type=C

They are pretty close to the actual amounts. I am not sure but the changes you mention in the insurance rules are not implemented yet. And in countries where such rules do exist (such as UK), Skoda fares pretty well in terms of cheaper insurance costs.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:46   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can find insurance amounts from:
https://onlinemanager.icicilombard.c...-079625&type=C

They are pretty close to the actual amounts. I am not sure but the changes you mention in the insurance rules are not implemented yet. And in countries where such rules do exist (such as UK), Skoda fares pretty well in terms of cheaper insurance costs.
Thanks. Appreciate the link.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:20   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Insurance expensive than competition - Data from ICICI

From the ICICI Lombard website (link given in the post above):

Honda Accord V6 AT:
Ex-showroom price = Rs. 1588329
Insurance premium = Rs. 49607

Skoda laura L&K AT:
Ex-showroom price = Rs. 1566844
Insurance premium = Rs. 60483

So, A Honda which is expensive than Laura by Rs.20,000 attracts lesser insurance premium (lesser by whooping Rs. 11,000)!!!

Note: The ex-showroom price is not up-to-date in ICICI's records, but that is immaterial here.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:22   #134
BANNED

Hey Anand, thats an amazing analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
From the ICICI Lombard website (link given in the post above):

Honda Accord V6 AT:
Ex-showroom price = Rs. 1588329
Insurance premium = Rs. 49607

Skoda laura L&K AT:
Ex-showroom price = Rs. 1566844
Insurance premium = Rs. 60483

So, A Honda which is expensive than Laura by Rs.20,000 attracts lesser insurance premium (lesser by whooping Rs. 11,000)!!!

Note: The ex-showroom price is not up-to-date in ICICI's records, but that is immaterial here.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:22   #135
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, Skoda insurance costs are higher, as per 'What Car'. The magazine mentions the insurance costs for each car. Not sure how valid they are though. Never cross-checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks