Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 12:08   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
On page number 46, The turning circle diameter of Passat is marked as 11.2 mtr.
I think this is correct. Find it listed as 38 feet elsewhere. Was it mentioned differently elsewhere in the mag?
Old 10th July 2008, 18:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I think this is correct. Find it listed as 38 feet elsewhere. Was it mentioned differently elsewhere in the mag?

OK,
It was error in writing the turning diameter of Honda Accord and Toyota Camry as 5.5m and 5.6m respectively. They mangaged to mention the diameter of Passat but wrote radius for other two.

IMO, these small mistakes could create wrong impression. These small mistakes can be prevented.
Old 10th July 2008, 20:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

Its 40 bucks and quite informative.
If the figures not accurate, it is good none the less.
News , Mods, Reviews. Everything is good.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:46   #49
BHPian

Did not meet expectations

I brought this book and was disappointed. India Today ran big ads for Autobild India saying it is from the biggest German automagazine blah blah. I expected better quality in terms of content. I feel What Car is better when compared to AutoBild. May be I am used to going through so much details in T-BHP that my expectations are high.

Another section that needs mention is the buyer's guide, it had so many MISSING details.

Overall, I will not be buying this magazine again except for rare occurences.

Thiyags
Old 12th July 2008, 12:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Very Good!

Overall the magazine is very good, very informative. It worth a subscription - But I do not want to do as it comes from India TOday Group Subscription, and I am sure I can it only th 20th of each month.

I subscribed "Prevention" - a magazine managed by IT group, and It comes with hella lotta delays. Their subscription department the laziest.

I may stop one another magazine, and buy this regularly from the shops.
Old 26th July 2008, 16:56   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I thought I'd read a comparo-report by Auto Bild over lunch....what a royal farce it turned out to be. Utterly disappointing. Their Accord vs Camry vs Passat review:

- Praises showered big time on the VW Passats engine. Not even a mere mention of its annoying turbolag, which can be a pain in the city.

- According to Auto Bild, the Accords engine has been "updated and now produces upto 160 BHP." Huh?

- For all their talk of a uniquely decisive points system, the Accord gets equal points on equipment as the Passat & Camry. This is despite the fact that the Accord does NOT offer traction control, xenon lights, or even a tripmeter. The Passat on the other hand does offer electric blinds, a sunroof and more. But still, all three get the same points.

- The Accord is fastest in the 0 - 60, or 80, or 100 or 160. Their own times say so. But it receives lower marks in "acceleration" compared to the other two. Go figure!

- The Camry has good torque delivery at lower rpms, and offers superb urban driveability. This is a known fact. In their words, the Camrys engine : "with a strong bottom and good torque characteristics.....". The turbo-lagged Passat still gets an equal amount of points for driveability as the Camry. Surprisingly, the Accord with its high revving torque@max rpm engine gets full marks for driveability.

- According to Auto Bild, the Camry will retain as much of its resale value (in %) as the Accord. This is despite the Accord being locally built, and the Camry an overpriced CBU.

- According to their report, the Passat has the widest turning circle. But gets better marks for "steering element/turning circle" anyways.

- Statement of the month "It seems less spacious but the Passat cabins rear is quite roomy." Go figure!

Voila! The Passat wins this slugfest. This is yet another misleading car report that is (unfortunately) making its way toward the Indian reader. Reading the review makes you feel like it was done for the heck of it, in a hurry and only to checkmark something off a to-do list. The Indian car mag scenario is getting densely populated; unless newcomers do a fantastic job (read, better than market leaders ACI & OD), they are going to fade away.

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2008 at 16:57.
Old 26th July 2008, 17:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Good review GTO. Looks like every mag is either biased or falls in love with one car. The 6 lakh difference is too big to ignore.

Isint 40 bucks rather cheap.? Looks like this will have a price war among mags. Yippe!
Old 26th July 2008, 17:29   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good review GTO. Looks like every mag is either biased or falls in love with one car. The 6 lakh difference is too big to ignore.

Isint 40 bucks rather cheap.? Looks like this will have a price war among mags. Yippe!
its 40 bucks cuz its out twice a month.
Old 27th July 2008, 11:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

After going thru 2 issues of AutoBild, I have a very strong impression that it is meant as a VW marketing magazine. Compares Jetta, Superb, and Passat (and other VW group cars such as Audi and Skoda) with competitors, and the `2500 test point' score reveals VW as the winner. The only disconnect is the content which sometimes points in a different direction.

AutoBild just reinforces my strong belief that all auto mags are a waste of money and time. Frankly, T-BHP is free (at least for users, though the owners do incur a cost), and most importantly, is a better, comprehensive source of info on maintenance, and enables making a far better informed choice about buying a new/used car.
Old 27th July 2008, 11:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

@GTO:

Good review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Accord does NOT offer traction control, xenon lights, or even a tripmeter. The Passat on the other hand does offer electric blinds, a sunroof and more.
They have listed as Honda Accord having Xenon lights but then from one of the photographs of Honda Accord, anyone can come to know its not Xenon lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- The Accord is fastest in the 0 - 60, or 80, or 100 or 160. Their own times say so. But it receives lower marks in "acceleration" compared to the other two. Go figure!
This could be due to accrod having a slightly weaker power band from 2K to 4K rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Eventually it will cost 80 Rs. per month.
Old 27th July 2008, 14:46   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This could be due to accrod having a slightly weaker power band from 2K to 4K rpm.
Acceleration is just that. As long as it records the quickest times to the 60, 80, 100 and 160, a weaker powerband in the 2K-4K range counts for peanuts in a points table titled "Acceleration". Anyways, this would affect urban driveability, but the Accord gets full marks for this anyways!

How? Dont ask me.....though I am sure the "experts" at Auto Bild are left dumbfounded as well.
Old 27th July 2008, 15:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
I brought this book and was disappointed. India Today ran big ads for Autobild India saying it is from the biggest German automagazine blah blah. I expected better quality in terms of content. I feel What Car is better when compared to AutoBild. May be I am used to going through so much details in T-BHP that my expectations are high.

Overall, I will not be buying this magazine again except for rare occurences.

Fully agree here. I would say that most of the magazines these days disappoint -- atleast for the auto-enthusiast.

Why can't some one sense this opportunity and create a niche/custom magazine for the hard core petrolheads????
Old 27th July 2008, 19:51   #58
TOR
BHPian

Why not a 'TEAM-BHP magazine'- for the enthusiast, by the enthusiast and for the enthusiast. It could well be different from all the 'conventional magazines' with the amount of 'user generated' data available on the site.
Old 27th July 2008, 20:07   #59
BHPian

"TOPGEAR" RULES,It Offers everything TOP NOTCH......though sometimes it is chased by some issues of "OVERDRIVE" especially the anniversary issues.
Old 15th September 2008, 11:16   #60
BHPian

Just got myself a copy of Auto Bild !! I did enjoy the reading some facts.
The new kind of layout I feel I should get used to, the Porsche DVD was cool however. If you want to know the figures then there is no magazine other than this offering loads of them.
I didn't come across any errors as of now in my issue ! (pg 67 mentions the number of lights to be used in singapore GP as 1500, and this is true not 1600 as claimed by others)
the cover had fastest cars in the world and I was amazed to see only german makes !! of course Lam got a small corner but I expected Veyron and some hotties but they hadn't been mentioned ! I did came to know a lot about MTM bimoto. Its kinda of unique as they didn't go with known cars at all. This magazine is something really the german way. Believe me I can feel the German tinge in it! though Yogi is the editor, its definitely my German teacher's kind !!

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 15th September 2008 at 11:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks