Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 12:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Dont think that ugly thing will be introduced in the place of esteem,instead jimny in the 5door avatar or sx4 hatch could be better options to fill the gap.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:28   #32
BHPian

Another great car heading for the exit. Esteem was lucky that it had a longer stay in the market compared to OHC and Baleno.

Suzi folks...We want Esteem replacement to be a true car, not a CARTOON
Old 8th October 2007, 12:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

I only Hope they produce 25000 of them for the taxi market, before stopping. they will be able to sell them off, and our taxi condition will Improve Greatly!! [sorry fiatwalle, but the taxiwallas dont maintain their cars anywhere close to youll]
as their stock gets older theyll give bigger discounts to lure the taxiwallas, and so a win win situation!!
Ive used an automatic in the house from 1997 to 2004, and it was a very dependable car.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Funny thing is that, all those who have called Esteem 'outdated', 'tinny', 'boxy' and all will now start shedding tears for it. (Like Zen and baleno before)
Isn't that quite natural CrAzY dRiVeR? At the time of retirement people would/should talk graciously.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:20   #35
BHPian

Farewell to one of the greatest car we had! We owned an Esteem and sold it off at the 110k mark. It served us excellently! I'll miss this car in the market (but somehow I don't like the rear of the present Esteem). The '98 look was best! It was a gem of an engine.. Lovely power!

cya
A
Old 9th October 2007, 19:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Farewell! Esteem has indeed played a very important role in the history of Indian automobiles. At one point in time, we had 5 Esteems in our (greater) family!
Old 9th October 2007, 20:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Another great car heading for the exit. Esteem was lucky that it had a longer stay in the market compared to OHC and Baleno.

Suzi folks...We want Esteem replacement to be a true car, not a CARTOON
Ha ha ha...

Well said.

Suzukis are getting increasingly ugly looking these days
Old 9th October 2007, 20:37   #38
BHPian

sad ..still cherish the 6 years of esteem before i had sell her off , still have the keys with me though .
Old 9th October 2007, 21:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

A graceful retirement,indeed. Having had 2 of them one after the other,its the only car that I loved to throw around corners,and put the pedal to the metal.
The 1st Esteem we had was a very well maintained one,driven by an elderly person.The 2nd one was used in rallies,and boy..it had some goodies on it. Really miss driving them.

Bye bye...esteem!
Old 9th October 2007, 22:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
At the time of retirement people would/should talk graciously.

Like they never did for the sienna & the petra. come on this is not an obituary.
Old 10th October 2007, 00:00   #41
BHPian

Very touching what you guys have written above. But i have had my first days as a driver in an esteem...i've too sneaked it out without a license, had my first kiss in it(and more!!), and took it up to hairy speeds(For an esteem) of over 100..where it felt like it was coming apart. I remember how the 1.3 L sticker on the fender fell off and i searched for hours to find a replacement coz i wanted to differentiate my car from the 1000's of err...1000's(maruti) on the road...it stayed reliable and if my memory serves me right it never ever broke down...EVER!!!..We sold it to a person in Bhopal and went in for an accent..which broke down twice in its 7 and a half year life with us...shame!...Great job maruti...you've earned crores from this car...but as someone else in this forum said...dont ever flog another car for so long...dead horses will only go so far
Old 10th October 2007, 00:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Esteem has carved a niche for itself in its segment. As the adage goes, all good things must come to an end and thats typical of the Esteem. I would say the Esteem has made a graceful and honourable exit.

Whatever car replaces the Esteem, it better live upto the standards that the Esteem has set. I would have been glad if the new sedan had retained the Esteem badge like the new zen estilo. And of course, not only the badge but also the legend.

Last edited by rr_zen : 10th October 2007 at 00:22.
Old 10th October 2007, 10:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Like they never did for the sienna & the petra. come on this is not an obituary.
Esteem Lover, I said retirement, not obituary. And who knows, Petra might reincarnate again as 'xxxxxxx'

Like 'Zen', Maruti/Suzuki would like to continue with the 'Esteem' moniker for sure.
Old 10th October 2007, 11:42   #44
BHPian

That's definitely a sad news! Though the car's been there since ages, I still like the way it looks and love driving it. Nice power and maneuverability. I just hope that it gets a worthy replacement that can live to (and exceed) the benchmark that the current Esteem has set.
Old 10th October 2007, 13:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm time has come for esteem to exit from the market .
Really fantastic car.
According to me Maruti has produced 3 great cars namely 800 , Zen , Esteem, sad to hear that already in these 3 one has gone ( Zen) ( Forget the Zen estilo - it's never a Zen for me), other (esteem) time has riped .. these two cars are truely an auto enthusiasts car accroding to me. Particularly those carb ones.
Why are good car always put into rest, even though they were/are doing good in the market. some ex .. Zen , Esteem, OHC, Qualis etc ...

Can't maruti do a makeover to esteem, a slight modification for the front grille , n rear reverse lights ( new one's look ugly ) as someone said .. Yeah 98 esteem is the best looking one.
Add 1.3 multijet fiat engine .. n then try selling it ? I don't think it will hamper the SX4 market ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks