Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2007, 13:32   #1
BHPian

My observation - American Cars getting good foot hold in Bangalore!

Hi Bhpeans,

I was having my lazy breakfast of idili vada today morning on inner ring road at Kamakya Theater, BSK III stg traffic signal and unconsciously observed pattern of car for about 30 - 40 mins.

I was really surprised not to see a single Honda City. Most number of sedans I saw was Ford Fiesta and most of them relatively new ones. Second most number of sedans I saw .. Hang on... it was Chevrolet Aveo. In hatchback categories I saw plenty of Hyudnai Santro and Maruti Swift. It gave me impression that Ford is really doing well with their Fiesta in sedan category. It seems to have caught attention of those seeking value (diesel) and good handling characteristics based on high rating it received in auto magazine in recent months.

Is common perception that American cars are fun to drive (as opposed to Japanese ones) catching in India??? Or was this just a coincidence?

Last edited by nispatel : 7th October 2007 at 13:33.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

I agree with your observation as well. But as to whether this is a paradigm shift in the way an Indian buyer evaluates cars, I am not too sure. I think it all boils down to:

1. More disposable income
2. More choice
3. The snooty Japanese (read Honda).

What would have happened if Honda and Toyota had targeted the Indian middle class (the real middle class) like they did in the US in 60s and 70s, is anyone's guess.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:40   #3
BANNED

Good observation nispatel. Some people see only NHC on roads
Any sight of SX4? It was supposed to selling in large numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post
Is common perception that American cars are fun to drive (as opposed to Japanese ones) catching in India??? Or was this just a coincidence?
Fun to drive an Aveo, SRV? Got to be kidding.

Last edited by diabloo : 7th October 2007 at 13:45.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Good observation nispatel. Some people see only NHC on roads
Didn't see any SX4 this monring...
Old 7th October 2007, 13:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't see any SX4 this monring...
I see two or three everyday. They are selling I think, at least in Mumbai as an alternative to the NHC. Both look ugly. I guess that is why. Heh heh.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

For me, every day the scenario varies---on some days, I see a lot of Vernas, on another day many Fiestas, then Cities on yet another day.
Whenever I need a break from my computer job, I go to the corner cabin and stare at all the swanky cars in Jubilee Hills on the road below.
Wonder why, but I see more on one make on any day.
One day, I saw 5 Mercs and 2 BMWs too.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well i see lots of Fiesta's, Aveo, SX4 & obvisouly the NHC. However a real way to see which car sells more is to check the monthly sales. For who knows it must be a Fiesta rally going around you
Old 7th October 2007, 14:03   #8
BHPian

Well, Indian customers, are not matured consumers in one way or another, and they are new to brands like Chevy, so they got to try it out. The concept of protectionism is not existant. (Imagine selling Indian brands to American public - they would never buy it for the benefit of their own country)

I have never bought an American car, and never will. Japanese cars rules anyday comparatively..
Old 7th October 2007, 14:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most number of sedans I saw was Ford Fiesta and most of them relatively new ones. Second most number of sedans I saw .. Hang on... it was Chevrolet Aveo.
Neither is truly American. The Fiesta is sold mostly in developing countries, and not in North America. The Aveo/Kalos was developed in South Korea by GM Daewoo and is also sold in Canada as, hold your breath, the Suzuki Swift+!

And fun to drive? Unless you mean a Dodge Viper, you're kidding, right?
Old 7th October 2007, 14:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
.... today morning on inner ring road at Kamakya Theater, .....
I was really surprised not to see a single Honda City. Most number of sedans I saw was Ford Fiesta and most of them relatively new ones. ....
Good observation. Try sitting in the same place on a weekday and see the difference. It will be another story. The IT folks would turn it around. You would see more of NHC and Swift than anything else. Ofcourse, the regular share of Santros/WRs will be there. But the 'Americans' would fade out in comparison.

Last edited by appuchan : 7th October 2007 at 14:37.
Old 7th October 2007, 16:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Damn have my eyes gone bling bling. I have developed this phobia for the Log-off's (Logans) , I have seen atleast a dozen or even more today.

All said , a true enthusiast will still be lurking around hunting for a OHC or a Baleno.
Old 7th October 2007, 18:05   #12
LLL
BHPian

well, in delhi/noida, i see quite a few city's, sx4's, aveos, fiestas. So cant generalise based on few days observations.

However, i agree with type0-ve...situation could have been very different had toyota and honda targeted real indian middle class which buys a small hatchback.
Old 7th October 2007, 18:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
as an alternative to the NHC. Both look ugly. I guess that is why. Heh heh.
Right on that count. Seems like looks dont matter in India - as long as you have a Jap badge on the bonnet. OT: Are Honda really snooty in India? I thought Honda owners were a happy lot!

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th October 2007 at 18:22.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Absolutely. Where are the SX4s ? Maruti was putting on a show as if the demand was more than supply, but just cannot make them out on the roads. On the other hand Logans seem to be there in plenty.

Back to topic, I have always seen more NHCs, Swifts than Fords in Bangalore. Yes, there are many Ikons & Fiestas but not more than the Hondas & Marutis.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:24   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post
Well, Indian customers, are not matured consumers in one way or another, and they are new to brands like Chevy, so they got to try it out. The concept of protectionism is not existant. (Imagine selling Indian brands to American public - they would never buy it for the benefit of their own country)

I have never bought an American car, and never will. Japanese cars rules anyday comparatively..
Don't understand your post all. Can you elaborate? Both about the
protectionism angle & also about why you wouldn't buy an American car?

Most Viewed