Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 14:41   #1

GM india Slashed "Spark's" price by 50,000

I just watched news channel "Aajtak" that GM india has slashed its small car Spark's price by Rs.50,000. This offer is just for 10 days. I assume other companies like Hyundai, Maruti Suzuki, etc will surely react with this step.There will be real hot competition during upcoming festival season.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:44   #2
BANNED

Only way GM thinks it can boost the sales
Old 11th October 2007, 14:59   #3
BHPian

Why just 10 days.

Discounts be on till December !!!
Old 11th October 2007, 15:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good move.. I've already started seeing quite a few Sparks on the road.. now with the discount there's more "Sparks" set to fly.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Didn't they already have a 35k discount ongoing? Koshun is now, what discounts stay?!

the website still indicates the old price!

Funnily, I've got to admit, I saw more sparks on mumbai roads than I saw them in delhi!! Delhi instead shows MANY new estilos, which barely I saw in Mumbai. Guess delhi walas prefer good ole maruti!

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th October 2007 at 15:34.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:36   #6
BHPian

Chevrolet Spark = Daewoo Matiz

AFAIK, following poor sales of Matiz in initial years, Daewoo reduced price to boost up sale. But Matiz never became a rival for Zen/Alto.

History proves that initial pricing must be correct. Else, you'll lose out forever.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is interesting. I have always maintained that the Spark has failed to take off in the market. GM has successfully managed to create a hoopla around the car by saying that because of capacity restrictions they can only make 2000 units/month and therefore there aren't too many sparks on the roads. This price reduction is GM's acceptance of the fact that the Spark has flopped.

Ever since the car was launched it has been doing about 1800-2000 units per month. If the demand is so high why can't GM transfer some capacity to manufacturing the Spark? In any case, none of their cars are best sellers so it's not like they are struggling to meet demand of all their models.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post

AFAIK, following poor sales of Matiz in initial years, Daewoo reduced price to boost up sale. But Matiz never became a rival for Zen/Alto.

History proves that initial pricing must be correct. Else, you'll lose out forever.
Well Matiz & Santro were released at almost the same time and Daewoo was winning the war until it turned sick. I don't think they were ever in competition with the Zen/Alto.
Old 11th October 2007, 16:21   #9
BHPian

Where is our poor Nimz?
Old 11th October 2007, 16:28   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Simply excellent......this is a step in the right direction. I only wish that it wasnt temporary, but a permanent reduction in price. Here is what I wrote after a brief drive:

Quote:
Overall a Spark offers a decent package as a product. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I feel that General Motors has gone a little over-board with the pricing. Here are the Mumbai on-road prices for individual registration:

1.0 E : 366,926 (no air-con)
1.0 : 393,384 (air-con only)
1.0 LS : 425213 (air-con + power steering)
1.0 LT : 460059 (above + front power windows and some frills)
1.0 LT OP : 500925 (Fully loaded).

As you can see, the 1.0 mid-equipped version is at 4.25 lacs!! And with no front power-windows but everything else (and more), the Swift retails for 4.6 lacs on the road. What would anyone really opt for? That 35,000 more gets you a whole lot more car (power, resale, space etc.). Heck, this makes the over-priced Aveo (4.70 on road) suddenly look like a value price.
Old 11th October 2007, 16:33   #11
BHPian

So history might repeat for the Spark (Matiz) Anyways have not come across
even 50 of them since its launch in Delhi. Well GM has started to feel the heat and can sense the future for their sparkle..........GM All the Best
Old 11th October 2007, 22:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

and so those who have spent 50k more should now get free petrol worth 20k perhaps if you compare what steve jobs did
Old 11th October 2007, 22:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post

I know quite a few matiz-es that have been still running without any problems till date. I think it was a real good car though it did not sell much in numbers.
Old 11th October 2007, 22:10   #14
BANNED

News GM offers up to Rs 53,000 discount on Chevrolet Spark- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: General Motors (GM) India on Thursday said it will offer a discount of up to Rs 53,000 on its small car Chevrolet Spark as part of the centennial celebrations of its parent company General Motors Corp.

Chevrolet Spark's base model would now be available for Rs 2.79 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), a discount of Rs 53,000 over the existing price of Rs 3.32 lakh. As part of the scheme, the company would offer discount across all variants of Spark.

The offer is valid only for bookings taking place between October 12 and October 22, while the car would be delivered to the customer at a later date, the company said in a release.

"The Spark has received rave reviews from auto experts and customers alike for its class-leading performances. This special promotion is GM India's way of thanking our discerning customers, who have shown tremendous enthusiasm for our carlines," GM India Vice-President Marketing Sales and After Sales Ankush Arora said.

The promotional scheme announced today is in addition to financing schemes already being offered by GM India, it added.
Old 11th October 2007, 23:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hope they get a favourable response from the buying public. Because if they do, this will leave pointers to not only GM but even others who fail to price their products competitively.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks