Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 12:24   #1
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Registration charges on Motor vehicles in karnataka

I have seen some discussion on this topic in safari 2.2 thread. then i explored and found out the actual charges as per the budget speech of finance minister. as per this that tax rates on cars is

Upto 5 lakhs 10% ( 9% existing)
5-10 lakhs 11%(10% existing)
above 10 lakhs 14% ( 12% existing)
but when one sees the rates quoted by car dealers( both TATA and hyundai) they are charging 11% for cars below 5 lakhs( one can check || Prerana Motors (P) Ltd || and Trident Hyundai)

similarly for motor vehicles the new tax is 8 % for those below 50K and 10% for above 50K. but here too dealers are asking 8.8%
does any one know why is it so.
who is getting this one percent excess charges by dealers?
this does not include other charges at RTO for that car dealers/bike dealers are charging separately as handling charges. in case of bikes the other RTO charges amount to rs 250/- but they are charging another 600 extra
for cars hyundai dealer is asking for 4.5 K for santro.
TATA dealers 3K for indica
the link for budget proposals is
http://www.kar.nic.in/finance/bud2007/ann07.htm

Mods: if it is felt that new thread is not required it may please be moved to appropriate thread/section

Last edited by rkg : 12th October 2007 at 12:26.
Old 12th October 2007, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

the Karnataka RTO link gives the following rates :

There is also a 5 sqmt clause which is unclear, but you are right, there is a lot of confusion in this and someone is making the best out of it inbetween. Thats why i suggested that the RTI act needs to be invoked for this with the RTO for clarity.
Old 12th October 2007, 13:10   #3
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Dadu
RTO site is not updated. in the link posted it clearly gives existing rates and the proposed rates for the year 2007-08. it is very clear the rates are increased. but the dealers are charging one percent more than prescribed by govt. where this is going?
Old 12th October 2007, 13:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

You are right, although the index page shows "18/09/2007" as the last updated date for the RTO website, but the budget shows proposed rates, and I believe the budget was accepted without amendments.

But still as you said, dealers are charging even extra than these rates.

Any BHPian who is planning to buy now can confront the dealer with this information and lets see what their response is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Dadu
RTO site is not updated. in the link posted it clearly gives existing rates and the proposed rates for the year 2007-08. it is very clear the rates are increased. but the dealers are charging one percent more than prescribed by govt. where this is going?
Old 12th October 2007, 23:40   #5
BHPian

Its daylight robbery if this is true. How can the dealers get away with this? There has to be a catch here?
Old 15th October 2007, 10:59   #6
BHPian

If i remember correctly this registration amount needs to be given as a separate DD favoring the respective RTO, not sure how can the dealer get a kick back from this.
If its a cheque in favor of the dealer, then its a different scene.

Karthik
Old 21st November 2014, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Re: Registration charges on Motor vehicles in karnataka

Digging up an Old Thread..

As per Trident Renault, the Road Tax payable is 205,475 for an ex showroom price of 1,088,900. If I back calculate the same, it turns out to be 18.86% which is way more than what is RTO prescribed 17%.

Also as per the Nov-Dec offer, the Invoice Value of the Car (Ex-Showroom Price) is now at 998,000 and hence the taxation rate should fall under 14 % bracket. But in my case the Dealer Trident Renault refuses to agree on this.

What options do I have?
Old 21st November 2014, 16:49   #8
BHPian

Since this topic came up, I want clarification on one more issue.When the vehicle dealer is giving discount on the car, why are we paying the road tax for the discounted amount too? For example, a car with Ex showroom price 5 lac have Rs.50,000 as Road tax(at the rate of 10%). But when the manufacturer gives a discount of 50,000 in the ex-showroom price, still we pay the same tax.This comes to about 5000 Rs. How is this shown in the RTO records?
As per the query above,whats the actual taxation rate? Is it including vat?
Really confused.Any help would be great!

Last edited by commonman : 21st November 2014 at 16:49. Reason: information required
Old 21st November 2014, 16:52   #9
BHPian

OK this is an educated guess 17% becomes 18.86% with the addition of government service tax of 12% or so from my discussion with the sales rep at navnit motors I understood that for invoice over 20 lakhs road tax is calculated at 18% which translates to 19.98% after adding service tax. One always pays road tax on the price mentioned in the invoice, at least that's from my experience. So the slab is decided by the invoice price. You can talk to your dealer about this and have it corrected. Nowadays I think everyone just pays the whole OTR to the dealer and then they take care of the DD towards RTO. So this probably gives the dealer a chance to make some more money

Last edited by zombiedriver : 21st November 2014 at 16:55.
Old 7th February 2016, 04:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone help me with the rate applicable for reregistration of out of state vehicles.

I intend to bring a 6 yr old vehicle and register in KA.
Old 7th February 2016, 14:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Can anyone help me with the rate applicable for reregistration of out of state vehicles.

The depreciated rates are provided somewhere towards the end of this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tached-46.html

You might want to do a search and might end up with the post. Else, you might have to scan the last 15-20 pages.

Edit:: Please see below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2859732

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th February 2016 at 14:19. Reason: Added the "Edit" portion
Old 7th February 2016, 16:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:

@ MileCruncher
1. You can get NOC issued from other state RTO in your name and can register car in Bangalore through owner transfer ship process at Bangalore RTO.

2. Charges would be depending on car's retail invoice value ( if available), otherwise invoice would be considered by Bangalore RTO on at that time prevailing rate. You need to pay defined % by RTO with respect to RTO charges ( Road tax+ vat + Cess) ( eg. < 10 L= 15.54%) .

3. Fine to be paid (if any) against issued NOC date is 1% of derived RTO charges. This is applicable only if transfer is not done within 1 month.

4. Around INR 450 for misc. charges with all receipts from RTO.

FYI, last month just got transferred fluidic verna from UP to BLR. Car was in family only and then transferred to my name at KR Puram RTO. Do not hesitate if more info is required.
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:41   #13
BHPian

@aeroamit did you apply for a refund of tax from UP? A friend of mine said that your new RTO would do that on your behalf automatically, I find that hard to believe. Please let me know if you did and the process and timescales please
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:

I advise you to put your decision on hold. The Karnataka High Court has reserved its judgment on the writ petition challenging the KMV Rules requiring a out of state registered vehicle to pay road tax in Karnataka. I read it in today's Deccan Herald. So you may think of it after the verdict of the High Court is delivered.
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
I advise you to put your decision on hold. The Karnataka High Court has reserved its judgment on the writ petition challenging the KMV Rules requiring a out of state registered vehicle to pay road tax in Karnataka. I read it in today's Deccan Herald. So you may think of it after the verdict of the High Court is delivered.
Well I'm already aware of that and also aware of the repercussions. The present laws are the worst case scenario which is what I have accounted for. It can only get better from here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks