Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2007, 23:37   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
One reason is already given - It sells so It Resells !! Very True.
Yes. True, but this logic applies better to cars after some years of sale. A car with better sales will appear more on the classifields/websites as more and more owners upgrade/change cars.

However, we are talking about recently bought cars here. One with very less mileage. A car-buyer buying a Civic, if he is such a happy man, why sell a car that has done less than 10k on the odo, within an year of ownership?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
I will scan the newspapers tom and see how many civics are available compared to say a corolla or a verna or an SX4 which are also recent in the market.
No point in debating unless someone has some comparitive figures on the used car market.
Old 14th October 2007, 00:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
As someone on elantraclub.com said....'if you manage to drive the civic & have fun...shows how much you are willing to compromise'....

Look who's talking!
Old 14th October 2007, 03:16   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

From what i have read, the elantra is very good to drive.
About the civic.
Quite surprising but true.
If a car sells well and is a good car there should be no reason for the owner to sell it. The Fiesta sells well but there are very few in the resale market adn are priced quite high.
The reason the people must be reselling the civic in such a short span is because they weren't happy with the car for some reason.
Old 14th October 2007, 08:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well in a way all of you are right. There might be some trouble with the car for the reason people are selling it.

I can only think of Low Suspension and Low Mileage as 2 of the major problems.
Old 14th October 2007, 09:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

@vkochar - low suspension, poor space and comfort (im 6 foot and had to put the front seat fully behind to sit. That's bad!
Difficult to drive because there is almost 0 visibility over the dash and the A pillars come in the way.
Old 14th October 2007, 12:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@vkochar - low suspension, poor space and comfort (im 6 foot and had to put the front seat fully behind to sit. That's bad!
Difficult to drive because there is almost 0 visibility over the dash and the A pillars come in the way.
I hav the same feeling as above...The car from teh exterior feels very smart and trendy, even in the inside when u try to get a glimpse it impresses with the digital speedo and the latest styling dash...but some how when you try driving it, u are too low on the ground the seat does not give u adequate comfort levels u are expecting, visibilty tends to be poor when u take a curve an on top of that with some luggage and 3 at rear taking a bump u scrape the bottom...the interiors arent that roomy either..
not something u expect from a HONDA
Old 14th October 2007, 12:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hi Lambo - Well I am also 6 ft and weigh 90 kgs + ( Big Built ) See my Profile ( Pic there ). I would say comfort is there, BUT Yes Visibility is very poor - especially when reversing. A Pillars are also quite Big.

But I guess everyone's driving style is different. There are people like you and me who pull the seat as back as possible so that there is a good distance between our body and the steering, and then there are people who simply sit on top of the steering ( so close & it's dangerous too !!! ).

But then if the Civic has these problems in it, why is it still selling so well ?( Hardly any discounts ). I guess Indian Customers are still partial & prefer the 'H' Brand.

And as you said earlier - Cars like the Elantra have excellent driving Positions ( nearly flawless ), but sadly due to Hyundai's Bad marketing they have failed in selling the Elantra. Surprisingly Elantra can be hardly found in the 2nd Hand Car Market.

Last edited by vkochar : 14th October 2007 at 13:00.
Old 14th October 2007, 13:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well without any figures and comparo figures with other cars we can't conclude that Civic owners are selling off their cars within 10k kms or a few months. We need figures to carry this dicussion forward. Are these used Civics for sale at Honda dealerships or with used car dealers because I haven't seen any at a used car dealer lot but I have been seeing an advert from a Mumbai Honda dealer who has a maroon A/T Civic for sale for the last couple of months in ACI or OD. Thats the only used Civic I have seen up for sale.

On the other hand, I have seen at least 3-4 Aveo sedans for sale at used car dealer lots. No used Fiesta at any lot on the other hand.
Old 14th October 2007, 15:41   #39
BHPian

Ha ha ha

If this wasn't funny enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
There is elantraclub.com??? I thought you were the ONLY one who bought one
this one totally cracked me up
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
It's the same one. 1self keeps selling it and then buys it back for its "uniqueness"
Old 14th October 2007, 15:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
... Cars like the Elantra have excellent driving Positions ( nearly flawless )
Not true really. I've driven the 'GT' a couple of times and did not think much better of the driving position than in my Baleno, which I think is much lower than it should have been. But then I've not driven the Civic so I dont know your comparison standpoints.

Quote:
...but sadly due to Hyundai's Bad marketing they have failed in selling the Elantra. Surprisingly Elantra can be hardly found in the 2nd Hand Car Market.
If there arent enough Elantra's sold new to start with, there wont be too many in the second hand market. I think they would be great bargains though. You can get a fully loaded 2 yr old Elantra in Bangalore for between 5 and 5.5.
Old 14th October 2007, 16:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think this reflects in any thing bad about the Civic. I guess some people bought it without doing their homework if the car suits them or not - as one tends to think one can't go wrong with this car.
Old 14th October 2007, 17:44   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There might be some trouble with the car for the reason people are selling it.
Can't be called problems. Civic is still a nice choice, and if I am to buy a car in the segment, choice would naturally be between Civic/Magnum.

These are just some factors in the design that may not suit everyone. Most people dont do an extensive TD, so realise only late that the car is not what they expected.

A small example. Already mentioned here that my neighbour has a Civic. They have other cars as well, and the Civic remains particularly unused because of the comparitively low mileage and visibility issues. (Only used when their son comes during some weekends)
Old 14th October 2007, 17:57   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Well without any figures and comparo figures with other cars we can't conclude that Civic owners are selling off their cars within 10k kms or a few months. We need figures to carry this dicussion forward.
Have a look -

Source- Civic for sale
Old 14th October 2007, 17:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
I've driven the 'GT' a couple of times and did not think much better of the driving position than in my Baleno, which I think is much lower than it should have been. But then I've not driven the Civic so I dont know your comparison standpoints.
Surprising you say that. I think it is one of the best driveable cars around, I am saying that owning one.

I have driven the Civic quite a bit, I find it to be excellent (maybe because I am used to low seating and low visibility). That again, is my opinion. I prefer the low seating - that is exactly why I like Esteem and Baleno.

It may be an issue for someone used to the SUV or high-seating cars, but I can't think of anything wrong with the seating in the Civic. Besides, there is always a "getting used to it" factor.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 14th October 2007 at 18:01.
Old 14th October 2007, 19:36   #45
BHPian

Let me try to post an unbiased view(am a Civic owner he he), each time I visit the Honda dealer for service, I see no less than 3-4 Civics which have suffered an accident.

Some are rather obvious - damage on the door sills, nasty looking and irritating -like reversing into a kerb, that you never saw in the first place. Blame it on the low seats and the fact that you forget to adjust the mirrors, just to check the kerb out

Some were really surprising, the cars looked intact, except that the rear tyres were either pointing inwards or outwards. So they were beached on some thing at speed. I did not see any that had been in a collision

My guess, the owners get them repaired and are trying to sell them off.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks