Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 16:51   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I am amazed how people take things so literally.

Ok forget the M800. Talking about length, why doesn't a BMW 3 scrape it's bottom? Why doesn't a Mercedes C,E and S class scrape it's bottom? Even the VW Passat and the Volvo S80 which came in yesterday into the Indian market don't scrape their bottom?! Surely these are much longer cars then the Civic. Coming to Civic's segment, why doesn't a Laura, Optra Magnum, Corolla, Elantra scrape it's bottom?

Bottom line is the hypocrisy. Would we have said the same Lambo, Porsche thing if the car in question was a Fiesta, Indigo, Linea, Aveo, Logan, Verna, Octavia?

Another point is even if Honda didn't realise that the Civic would scrape because of it's length, now they know. Don't they? For a company with so much of technical prowess, how long does it take to rectify this issue? Oh I forgot. Honda says there is nothing wrong with the Civic's GC. Well what do we know. What do Honda owners know? If Honda says that, they must be right!

Would Honda issue the same statement if this problem happened in America?
Mate! I have been driving around in the Civic for the better part of two months and I am yet to scrape the bottom. The fact of the matter is that the issue is blown out of proportions and is more evident in the mountaneous speed breakers made in some cities. And you bet! Take out a S class, a C class or an E class and it will scrape on those. My 800 used to btw and if you have anything less than a hummer it probably will.

What actually happens is that some people read a review in some car mag where it scrapes the bottom and then go around saying that it scrapes it scrapes! Please! It does not in normal driving conditions and if someone is insane then why should Honda be blamed for it?
Old 11th December 2007, 16:53   #92
BANNED

Make a mountain out of a mole hill - thats what the Civic's GC issue is all about. Agreed Civic's GC is 170mm with long wheelbase & soft suspension.
But does it scrap on all available speed breakers? No.
Then where? On some unusual ones, where most other cars would scrap their underbellies too.
Old 11th December 2007, 17:03   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I'd rather drive the Civic with its GC issues than the unnaturally raised SX4 or Corolla!
I would too (excluding the SX4 because I already own it! )
Old 11th December 2007, 17:12   #94
Team-BHP Support

LOL Amit! I didn't mean it that way! Just that I feel, as someone mentioned, this whole GC thing is really being blown out of proportion!

Instead of accusing Honda of a bad attitude (which they do have, just like all other car makers), we should be accusing our Govt. of misusing the funds allocated towards maintenance of roads!
Old 11th December 2007, 17:25   #95
BHPian

Well, I have been using a Civic for 2 months now. No issues with GC even with 5 people on board. Touchwood !
Old 11th December 2007, 19:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

Man, you drive in Bangalore - Mysore Ring road and you will scrape every speedbreaker there with your Civic. I thought I would beach my Civic on one of those speedbreakers.. I was fully loaded.. dunno about single occupancy driving.. didn't have the patience to try that out !!!
Old 12th December 2007, 13:12   #97
BHPian

how come noone compared it to the Cedia?
heheh
in the same segment right?
Old 12th December 2007, 14:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithc View Post
how come noone compared it to the Cedia?
heheh
in the same segment right?
U mean as a Car to car comparison. Its been done and dusted with. Do a search.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:21   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Man, you drive in Bangalore - Mysore Ring road and you will scrape every speedbreaker there with your Civic. I thought I would beach my Civic on one of those speedbreakers.. I was fully loaded.. dunno about single occupancy driving.. didn't have the patience to try that out !!!
Which one are you talking about? The ones before and after PES college?
Haven't driven there for a while now. Will try out shortly
Old 12th December 2007, 14:57   #100
BHPian

i think it is simple.
there are many "honda" fans (buyers) and some cant go for new ones so go for second hand as they expect price to be much less. this is motivation for people who even want to reconsider selling their cars.

Some people have lots of money and i guess those selling the car will not be for the GC etc.

Car will be sold only if there is some SERIOUS problem. that is middleclass mentality to adjust with something if it is going to be costly to replace.

as far as rich class (NOT super rich), they liked the new status symbol of civic. now it is found by the dozens on the road so value drops, and are sold off.
Old 12th December 2007, 15:00   #101
BHPian

Sentil,
I was just being naughty and trying to spark the comparison.
am aware of the posts in the forum as am a HAPPY owner of a Cedia )

actually decided on the car after going through posts for atleast 3-4 months.
Old 12th December 2007, 15:36   #102
BHPian

To add a few more drops... We did a TD on Civic (for a colleague friend who was considering it) on our normal daily route to office. With four people on board and no luggage (remember this is a TD), it scraped two speed breakers in the Whitefield area. Well, I have been driving this road and its speed breakers for the last 7 years on my Alto and then my Baleno (sometimes with 5 people on the car during short lunch outs), and never had scrapped their bellies. Of course, my CEDIA flies through them!!

Of course, my colleague decided against the Civic just because of the TD belly scraping experience. It was funny when the Honda rep told us that we need to use "some planning and technique to cross speed breakers". On a serious note, I do think, crossing speed breakers on a Civic may need some planning and technique.

OT: I am working my colleague towards a CEDIA and seem to be doing well on that!!
Old 13th December 2007, 23:55   #103
BANNED

guys, i dont know about other cities, i live in delhi and commute everyday from delhi to gurgaon or noida. i've never scraped the underbelly. its a great car to drive. so i dont think people of NCR have any problem with scraping of the underbelly of civic. the low gap between the wheels and the arc looks great unlike any other indian car. when i see cars like corolla or cedia(no offence, they are great cars) whit large wheels gaps and all the dirt can be seen, it spiols the whole look of the car. if GC would have been such an issue it wouldnt have been selling like this. it has made toyota reduce the prices of corrolla and give all kinds of schemes and options on it to sell. sorry for the people who are facing GC issues, this problem not faced by me and i believe many other. the low ground clearance makes it look soo sexy and chic.
Old 14th December 2007, 08:44   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I am amazed how people take things so literally.

Ok forget the M800. Talking about length, why doesn't a BMW 3 scrape it's bottom? Why doesn't a Mercedes C,E and S class scrape it's bottom? Even the VW Passat and the Volvo S80 which came in yesterday into the Indian market don't scrape their bottom?! Surely these are much longer cars then the Civic. Coming to Civic's segment, why doesn't a Laura, Optra Magnum, Corolla, Elantra scrape it's bottom?

Bottom line is the hypocrisy. Would we have said the same Lambo, Porsche thing if the car in question was a Fiesta, Indigo, Linea, Aveo, Logan, Verna, Octavia?

Another point is even if Honda didn't realise that the Civic would scrape because of it's length, now they know. Don't they? For a company with so much of technical prowess, how long does it take to rectify this issue? Oh I forgot. Honda says there is nothing wrong with the Civic's GC. Well what do we know. What do Honda owners know? If Honda says that, they must be right!

Would Honda issue the same statement if this problem happened in America?
I AGREE!! And I'm an owner of the Civic with about 30,000 km on the odo. Honda also says that there is nothing wrong with the suspension system, nothing wrong with the wipers and so on so forth. They have a terrible attitude and OSTRICH like outlook. If we hide our face in the sand the trouble will go away. I doubt their much hyped tecnical prowess, if they cant even launch a car with suspensions for the Indian Road. I being one of the earliest buyers am suffering from my haste. The car is good no doubt, but nothing exceptional - except the looks, which are subjective anyway.

Last edited by alankarm@sancha : 14th December 2007 at 08:50.
Old 14th December 2007, 23:00   #105

I was planning to book a Civic V AT, but looking at the feedback from the owners in this thread, I am confused now.

so I request the owners to suggest me whether its really worth going for this car ...

I would like to know, if the GC is a real issue, does the scrapping damage the car or any of the parts of that....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks