Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 20:49   #16
BHPian

Decent mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its got weak mileage, suspension that bottoms out on full load and low seating! May not be to everyone's liking.
I thought 9 to 10 kpl is pretty decent in the city. My Civic gives me around 9 and 9.5 kpl.
Old 12th October 2007, 22:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess he is not alone---there are as 'many' as 14 guys who bought one between July and Sep, going by the Sales spreadsheet in another thread.
well i guess tht makes him one of the 14 chosen by the god from india
you are a chosen one
Old 12th October 2007, 22:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes Ofcourse it's a Good car.But doesn't suit for Indian condition.ingress & egress are not easy even for small frames.For city like chennai,It's not possible to drive the car with peace.Easily caught in potholes.Defn owners heart will break.hahaa.Even @ my TD ,i experienced the same.But I like that car very much.so many dislikes,though we can see a lot of Civic's in chennai.
Old 13th October 2007, 03:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No doubt Civic is ......., and a delight for an enthusiatic driver.
I would like to differ on that.
Old 13th October 2007, 08:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I second that . I know some one who has an Astra and Civic . According to him , Astra is more stable at higher speeds .
Old 13th October 2007, 08:47   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
I thought 9 to 10 kpl is pretty decent in the city. My Civic gives me around 9 and 9.5 kpl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I second that . I know some one who has an Astra and Civic . According to him , Astra is more stable at higher speeds .

Don't own the Civic. My opinion was from what i heard from friends on and off the forum. And my immediate neighbour who has a Civic.

By 'delight for an enthusiastic driver', i was referring to VTec, which offers good top-end.
Old 13th October 2007, 10:18   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
I guess Civic SELLS......and thats why it RESELLS! Period. People hardly buy Accords these days and are very much willing to compromise with lower segment Civic.
Absolutely. A car that is popular in the new car market will logically be so in the used car market. Civic owners are generally a happy lot so I dont see any cause for concern over so many Civics in the used car market.
Old 13th October 2007, 10:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
It's the same one. 1self keeps selling it and then buys it back for its "uniqueness"

A good one pal. Very creative
Old 13th October 2007, 15:57   #24
BANNED

some how i drove both and the at i left is way slower than the manual. but id still get the auto itself cuz of the paddle shifts and i dont remember the last time i wanted to touch redline.
Old 13th October 2007, 16:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Absolutely. A car that is popular in the new car market will logically be so in the used car market. Civic owners are generally a happy lot so I dont see any cause for concern over so many Civics in the used car market.
Somehow this logic seems a little skewed to me. If a car is popular in the new car market and its owners are happy with it, why would they want to sell it? For the longest time it was very difficult to get a second hand Accent CRDi in the Bangalore market, allegedly because no one wanted to sell their car. Is it not logical that fewer cars should make their way into the used car market if the owners are more than happy with the car?
Old 13th October 2007, 17:02   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar
If a car is popular in the new car market and its owners are happy with it, why would they want to sell it?
That's what bothers to me & i fail to understand ,why should anyone will sell their car if he's happy with his car ? , seems like something is wrong with Civic - suspension ?

Last edited by unknown : 13th October 2007 at 17:05.
Old 13th October 2007, 17:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

I remember when the car was launched most people I know bought it because of its lineage & the fancy instrumentation. But most of the owners are fairly happy with the car, though it is NOT really an enthusiasts first choice - but is a decent daily drive with reasonable comfort levels & not hard on the maintainence front. The one disappointment people talk of is the mileage - even when driven with a light foot.

Have driven the AT myself & is comfortable to drive but nothing to write home about if one were to push it.

Maybe re-sale is happening coz of dis-illusioned owners. Socha kuch nikla kuch :-)

Cheers
Old 13th October 2007, 18:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

The Civic is definetely a Beautiful Car - Modern, Sophisticated, Good Looking and a good performer.

Now the question is why do we see so many Civics in the 2nd Hand Market ? One reason is already given - It sells so It Resells !! Very True.

The other reason which someone else mentioned to me a few weeks back was that when the Civic was launched a year back a lot of Young People / IT & BPO Proffessionals in their Mid Twenties brought this vehicle Immediately as it was the rage among the Young Crowd who had just started climbing their Career Ladder BUT along the way after a few months the EMI of this expensive Mid Size Sedan started proving Costly ( 15 - 20k a month ), Suddenly there were quite a few Civics appearing in the 2nd Hand Market ( especially Metropolitans and NCR Delhi ). Some of them at very very good deals. Also not being able to Pay the EMI many of them started defaulting - which eventually forced them to see this vehicle off.

In Fact one of my friends I remember buying a 2nd Hand Civic ( Grey Colour - 6 Months Old ) with around 7k on the ODO and even the Plastic Wrapping was not removed from the rear seats and the headrests, he brought it for something like 8.5 - 9 Lacs !!! Now thats a deal.

Other things Like Low Suspension are Minor Setbacks - People do not sell a 12 Lac car in a few months just because it is not very friendly around Speedbreakers and Potholes !!!
Old 13th October 2007, 22:09   #29
BHPian

A car that sells more obviously comes to the used car bazar,but, isnt it a bit early for the civic to come to the used car`market considering the car is only a year`or 2 max in India.
Old 13th October 2007, 22:19   #30
BHPian

The logic of sells / resells isnt holding good if one were to go by recent history. Like the case of CRDi, the santro was also one such candidate. There were even articles written in english dailies about how big a h it santro was and the case in point was they cited non availability of santro in the second hand mmarket as an evidence for the same. I was skeptical and scanned the sunday papers every week for santros and there used ot be hardly 5-10 cars in a 3 page section full of used cars and I'm talking about the The Hindu newspaper which is the market leader in the south and the period is 2002-2003 which was a good 5-6 years after the lauch of the car.
Honestly like many have pointed out it does not make sense why civic is in the used car markets so soon. Technically we can take it for granted that Hondas are always good cars. Some of their automobiles maybe staid and boring but they are flawless.
It still is a mystery. I will scan the newspapers tom and see how many civics are available compared to say a corolla or a verna or an SX4 which are also recent in the market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed