Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2007, 23:17   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
I would definately buy this particular civic to a new one, 3.5 lakh hit in 2 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!
Honda's have very good resale value. 3.5L in 2 weeks?
Old 18th October 2007, 23:49   #77
BANNED

guys...i am not comparing civic to a porsche or lambos, i am just talking about the suspension bottoming out and scraping the underbelly and comparing this problem with even other sports cars. i totallt agree with "Shrishiva". people should know what they are buying. a person buying a porsche or lambo would not be concerned with its ground clearance. its not only sprts cars..many other imported cars do get scraped on our speedbreakers. so, if people are so concerned about this problem, then they shouldn't be buying civic.

guys, don't start an argue on this, please.
Old 19th October 2007, 12:24   #78
BHPian

Quote:
was offered a 16 day old civic 2 weeks ago, 400 km on the odo, violet, manual for 9.7 L, V model

I would definately buy this particular civic to a new one, 3.5 lakh hit in 2 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!
If it is a clean vehicle (not much could have been done anyway in only a couple of weeks) then it really is a nice deal!
Old 19th October 2007, 17:15   #79
BANNED

Quote:
was offered a 16 day old civic 2 weeks ago, 400 km on the odo, violet, manual for 9.7 L, V model

Either the customer who is selling their car they are not aware of market price , else it's maybe a accidentall car .
Old 19th October 2007, 17:16   #80
BHPian

Bro unknown: If I remember right you were also enquiring into a Civic for some 9 lakhs right? Did that deal come through?
Old 19th October 2007, 17:36   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Bro unknown: If I remember right you were also enquiring into a Civic for some 9 lakhs right? Did that deal come through?
Nope - can't make it up on that one .
Old 19th October 2007, 17:45   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The Civic is definetely a Beautiful Car - Modern, Sophisticated, Good Looking and a good performer.

Now the question is why do we see so many Civics in the 2nd Hand Market ? One reason is already given - It sells so It Resells !! Very True.

The other reason which someone else mentioned to me a few weeks back was that when the Civic was launched a year back a lot of Young People / IT & BPO Proffessionals in their Mid Twenties brought this vehicle Immediately as it was the rage among the Young Crowd who had just started climbing their Career Ladder BUT along the way after a few months the EMI of this expensive Mid Size Sedan started proving Costly ( 15 - 20k a month ), Suddenly there were quite a few Civics appearing in the 2nd Hand Market ( especially Metropolitans and NCR Delhi ). Some of them at very very good deals. Also not being able to Pay the EMI many of them started defaulting - which eventually forced them to see this vehicle off.

Other things Like Low Suspension are Minor Setbacks - People do not sell a 12 Lac car in a few months just because it is not very friendly around Speedbreakers and Potholes !!!
I agree with this view 100%. Civic is by far the best looking car in that segment, with a terrific dashboard, profile, et al. Almost took my breath away when I first saw it, and it looked a lot better than the Civic my pal had in the US in 2004. I too spent many hours dreaming about owning one each time an ad came out in the papers.
When I was planning to upgrade to a sedan this year, my entire family had only one recommendation--a Civic. But I convinced them that with the EMIs I'd have to pay, we would have to spend the next few years eating only 'Rasam' and rice, with no vegetables (luckily age and financial prudence was in my favour). This apart, I'd heard from Honda owners that all Hondas in India, save the CRV, have issues with bottoming out on most speed-breakers, which is a real let down if one spends that much.
Perhaps the younger crowd yielded to temptation and bought one right away, but had to reconcile to selling it when the EMIs became un-affordable.
Old 19th October 2007, 19:31   #83
BHPian

I dont know how Civic's GC is an issue, it has a better GC than the Skoda Rider and I dont see a lot of them coming back on the resale market. I am sure GC cant be the only issue. As far as looks and the pep and also the handling I dont think there is any other car in this class which is comparable.
Old 19th October 2007, 19:42   #84
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
I dont know how Civic's GC is an issue, it has a better GC than the Skoda Rider and I dont see a lot of them coming back on the resale market. I am sure GC cant be the only issue. As far as looks and the pep and also the handling I dont think there is any other car in this class which is comparable.
Speaking as a layman, from whatever I have been able to gather - the Skoda has a tighter/stiffer suspension and the Civic has a softer suspension. which is why the Civic may bottom out more.

And I dont think the Civic is in the after market because of ANY issues. Like someone quoted earlier: more sale = more resale!

regards
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:50   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

When even the measly M800 doesn't scrape it's underbelly, why should the Civic? Didn't a company like Honda which is famed for it's technological prowess do any research before launching the car? Didn't they test the car on Indian roads before launching it? From the looks of if, it certainly looks like it.
I completely agree with Amit here. Honda does not seem to have a sense of responsibility before launching in India. I own both a Maruti 800 and Tata Safari. As Amit has rightly pointed, even the humble M800 does not have issues with the ground clearance on most of the speed breakers.
Imagine the hue and cry we would have raised if an Indian car maker like TATA had made the same mistake. We would have said they hardly know to make cars and what not.
Since it is grave blunder made by HONDA, people are even going to the extent of comparing with Porsches, Lamborghinis and justifying the ground clearance.
Welcome to the world of Indian hypocrisy and foreign obsession
Old 23rd October 2007, 03:50   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When even the measly M800 doesn't scrape it's underbelly, why should the Civic?
Look at the length of the 800 and compare it with the Civic. By the time the front wheel of an 800 goes over the hump and comes down, the rear climbs up. Unfortunately, that is not true with long cars. Even the Baleno scrapes out more often than not. Why wasn't the same question asked taking Baleno into consideration?

As far as my opinion goes, it is beyond scraping bottom - if there is an issue, that is.
Old 11th December 2007, 15:25   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power_Ranger
I completely agree with Amit here. Honda does not seem to have a sense of responsibility before launching in India. I own both a Maruti 800 and Tata Safari. As Amit has rightly pointed, even the humble M800 does not have issues with the ground clearance on most of the speed breakers.
Imagine the hue and cry we would have raised if an Indian car maker like TATA had made the same mistake. We would have said they hardly know to make cars and what not.
Since it is grave blunder made by HONDA, people are even going to the extent of comparing with Porsches, Lamborghinis and justifying the ground clearance.
Welcome to the world of Indian hypocrisy and foreign obsession
I am amazed at the thought process some people have...
It's like saying, if an M800 can squeeze through space between 2 autos, then why can;t Civic (or BMW) do it, after all their owners have paid more for their Foreign cars!!!

Last edited by ST7677 : 11th December 2007 at 15:27.
Old 11th December 2007, 15:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M.

Beware, sounds to good to be true, there is a high probability that it might be
1. Flooded vehicle
2. Accident vehicle
3. Stolen vehicle

There is no reason why a sensible person will sell the car much below prevalent market rate.
Old 11th December 2007, 16:38   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I am amazed at the thought process some people have...
It's like saying, if an M800 can squeeze through space between 2 autos, then why can;t Civic (or BMW) do it, after all their owners have paid more for their Foreign cars!!!
Quote:
Look at the length of the 800 and compare it with the Civic.
I am amazed how people take things so literally.

Ok forget the M800. Talking about length, why doesn't a BMW 3 scrape it's bottom? Why doesn't a Mercedes C,E and S class scrape it's bottom? Even the VW Passat and the Volvo S80 which came in yesterday into the Indian market don't scrape their bottom?! Surely these are much longer cars then the Civic. Coming to Civic's segment, why doesn't a Laura, Optra Magnum, Corolla, Elantra scrape it's bottom?

Bottom line is the hypocrisy. Would we have said the same Lambo, Porsche thing if the car in question was a Fiesta, Indigo, Linea, Aveo, Logan, Verna, Octavia?

Another point is even if Honda didn't realise that the Civic would scrape because of it's length, now they know. Don't they? For a company with so much of technical prowess, how long does it take to rectify this issue? Oh I forgot. Honda says there is nothing wrong with the Civic's GC. Well what do we know. What do Honda owners know? If Honda says that, they must be right!

Would Honda issue the same statement if this problem happened in America?

Last edited by amit : 11th December 2007 at 16:42.
Old 11th December 2007, 16:46   #90
Team-BHP Support

I'd rather drive the Civic with its GC issues than the unnaturally raised SX4 or Corolla!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed