Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 23:03   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
It's not about that.
What if you don't live to tell the story?

-- Torqy

C'mon Torqy! That was sarcasm!
Now try doing a poll asking how many people have had accidents.
Hardly any! You know why? Because a lot of people have justified it in their minds as not being their fault, and so it wasn't really 'their' accident, not their fault!
As for funerals, they don't happen to skilled drivers.
Old 17th October 2007, 23:14   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
As for funerals, they don't happen to skilled drivers.
I have no comments on this.

-- Torqy
Old 17th October 2007, 23:39   #108
BHPian

Speed thrills but kills.............cliched but true!!
Old 17th October 2007, 23:50   #109
Team-BHP Support

Speed never kills anybody... Its the stop
Old 18th October 2007, 00:13   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
That is not the way it works.
I agree with all your points. the problem is not whether you are a good driver or not, the problem is whether everybody else should believe the same, and let you speed.

you have given some proof of maturity in your post, but still, the fact is, if one listens to you, there is no reason why he should not listen to some other Joe.

Hence the rules. And skilled or not, everybody needs to stick to rules, including the speed limits.

Speed limits being insane on some stretches is a different issue altogether, and not an excuse for breaking the law.
Old 18th October 2007, 00:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

What sort of question is this? Because we're obsessed with these things, for crying out loud. This is a forum about cars, either fast, or sharp, or large. I mean, do you hear anyone saying, 'I have the SLOWEST car here'?!
Old 18th October 2007, 00:32   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do you hear anyone saying, 'I have the SLOWEST car here'?!
There are no Reva owners on the forum
Old 18th October 2007, 02:23   #113
BHPian

hhmm, I feel the people who dont know how to drive fast will complain against it.

Dont be blind and drive fast. Learn ur way to speed up and be responsible.

If u dont know to drive u can kill people even at 40 kmph.

What would u do on the expressway, keep ur car on the rightmost lane and drive at 80 kmph, it more dangerous than going at 140-160 on the same lane.

when there is empty road no harm in speeding up. one must learn to drive.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 28th December 2007 at 09:38. Reason: Extra smiley. Read the rules, only 2 smilies per post allowed.
princesri1981 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th October 2007, 07:54   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesri1981 View Post
hhmm, I feel the people who dont know how to drive fast will complain against it.
There is no such thing. Everyone knows how to press the accelerator!
That's why such horrendous accidents take place.
Responsible drivers might not be causing these accidents, but how many people realize that they are NOT skilled enough to be going fast??
Old 18th October 2007, 09:49   #115
Senior - BHPian

[quote=princesri1981;598720]hhmm, I feel the people who dont know how to drive fast will complain against it.

Thanks a lot for saying your feelings only, and not stating it as a definitive fact. There are people eveywhere who are skilled, can drive fast and safely, and have all the skills needed for outracing everyone on the road. Yet they do not excessively overspeed, just because they respect the law (even if it is ridiculous and enforcement is negligible), know what excessive speeding can do, and more importantly in our country, they do not want to cause grief to others. How does that sound for a justification?
Old 18th October 2007, 10:35   #116
BANNED

Just because you paid lakhs of rupees more, should your car do 0~100 in couple of seconds less? What will you do with those 2 seconds?
Note: If you feel those 2 seconds matter, then you are in wrong place. You should on a race track, instead of passenger road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
they give you more power, mostly to be used for quick acceleration. incidentally it can take you to higher speeds too. if you check, the figures to flaunt are mostly 0-100 kmph (or 0-60 mph). did you see anybody boasting of XXX seconds for 0-150?
If the authorities want every vehicle on the road to adhere to the speed limit of that country, then all vehicles sold in that country should have speed limiter, which will not let the vehicle go over the limit.
Otherwise it will like giving a chocolate to a kid and ask him to eat half, throw the rest away. What the kid will do is eat the other half hiding from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
now you don't expect authorities to put delimiters on everything in life, do you? that itself will be a huge cost to the taxpayers.
Old 18th October 2007, 10:44   #117
BHPian

The thing is that this is a debate- which is discussing about a vital issue. There is no denial to the fact that many road accidents resulting into fatalities are possibly avoidable by following trafffic rules, do and donts, using common sense, experience and above all being sane on the road, behind the wheels or on foot.
Are the cars speeding past the speed limits, only cause of concern and does the question really points directly to the speeds and are speeds only cause of accidents and fatalities?
A rational answer is definitely - NO. Fatigue- a nap-drowsy feeling-sleeping while at wheels, absence of mind, drinking, slow reflex, mechanical failure, pedestrians, animals, unsafe roads, landslides, broken roads, flash floods, unmarked danger zones- under construction sites, stupid speed breakers with no warning signs, markers, unlit roads, improperly loaded vehicles and loads coming off, sudden and blind curves- in my opinion contribute to everything and above all may be yes the speed- but not necessarily beyond limits. At any speeds these hazards are still hazards - equally dangerous and potentially fatal. Do we all start crawling? is that the solution- surely not. Being careful, alert, in control is the answer. Burst tyres, slippery roads and occassionally no roads also contribute and then highway robberies. what about that.
Mountaineers get lost and die in avalanche, surfers are bitten/eaten by sharks, sailors sink in the storms and typhoons, Tsunami comes and washes away the shores, rains & floods cause havoc, epidemics, bird flu, Aids, cancer, drink and drive, talking on phones while driving- can you figure out whats the odd man out here? Lolz - its anyone's rational guess. Now comes quetion of more power, more torque, insane speeds- hey guys, you heard of space toruism in rockets!! All you Jet setters- sit at homes- cause of air accidents? no shoppers' stops cause of bomb scare- terrorism strikes, bomb blasts in trains- hey guys - can we stop commuting? Oh what do I do- last I heard- roof collapsed, building collapsed!
And sitting on couch- obesity, diabetes are bigger killers- high bp or low bp- arent they lethal- much worse than it?
Now comes my vote- cars- bigger n better n safer n environment friendly. Yes Yes Yes. friends its not the machine alone- lets see larger picture in the whole context of the things. Its the man behind the machine, the road that it runs on, the people that it runs with, the signals that it jumps and the speed breakers that it hits and then on other hand we have people who hit it from front and behind, the animals that pounce at it- two or four wheeled or four legged- that cause it. And then some insensibilities, some casualness, some complacence, some over confidence and a bit of a lot of things. Global warming? Oh carbon credits- too is a fad now- you heard of carbon signatures?
Come on - I would love to admire beauties full of power, technological marvels, affordable- better than the best - evolved, intelligent machines- and get them- be with them. Men have loved machines and tools from immemorial time and while I go round the sun astride this beautiful planet at insane speed- before an asteroid- decimates me, I would love to catch up - catch up with everything that more enterprising and more technologically advanced men and artificial intelligence have put together.

A closing sentence- its not the bullet that kills- its the politics that fires it!
Old 18th October 2007, 10:44   #118
BHPian

Strictly looking at the thread title- It is a question I would rather avoid.

I used to ask simiar questions when I was a kid, samples given below (I was a good boy )
1) Dad, why are we walking on 2 legs when our doggie is on four?
2) Why are the exams always have max 100?
3) Why are the starts not falling from the sky

Now, I keep getting similar questions from kids around me, including mine, such as
1) Uncle, why are you staring at that aunty?
Err....can't share more questions

Now, why is everyone obsessed with speed? Do I care? yes I do. It is a human intution built in due to hundreds of thousand years of evolution. It is the question of SURVIVAL. According to the law of the jungle, the fastest has better chance of survival. So every animal has instinct to go faster.

Now, some on wishes to reverse it? Again that would take thousands of years of evolution.

Lucky- I won't be alive by then. I wouldn't like that company anyway
Old 18th October 2007, 11:50   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
There are people eveywhere who are skilled, can drive fast and safely, and have all the skills needed for outracing everyone on the road. Yet they do not excessively overspeed, just because they respect the law (even if it is ridiculous and enforcement is negligible), know what excessive speeding can do, and more importantly in our country, they do not want to cause grief to others. How does that sound for a justification?
Well said. There are Fast and Safe drivers. But public roads are not the place to show off. Imagine every one being a Colin McRae in the morning rush hour.

Mature / responsible drivers know when to speed and when not to speed and they do respect the law even if its absurd. Somebody driving slow in city traffic DOES NOT mean that he is not skilled. He is just NOT SHOWING OFF.

-- Torqy
Old 18th October 2007, 12:28   #120
BHPian

As I See It

whether you are obssesed with speed or not
whether you are literate or illeterate

the key factor to all accidents is understanding the WHAT IF factor
even if your vehicle is in the best of condition with the best rubber and how to overcome the unexpected.

sceanrio SUV / Sedan
WHAT IF
above 100 / 140 kmh - a burst tyre front / rear-how to manage to bring to stop rather than swerve / panic mode.
a truck / bus parked on the left suddenly decides for a U turn or enter your lane, not just slam the brakes but (if time permits to LOOK and have a lane change)
at an intersection even though you have right of way the other driver meant to stop decides to drive thru always be prepared. NOT possible at high speed to react.
i can go on...

but then its every drivers own judgement at high speed to decide for himself and the others travelling with him to have some traffic sense always knowing
1) that the driver in front, behind, to the left and to the right is a potential idiot / maniac
2) his vehicle stopping power
3) his vehicle dynamics
The Mumbai Pune Expressway also has certain stretches where the car can skid on bends especially rains due to concrete roads.

end of the preaching
now the aarthi!!!
if you want to check speed try it on some deserted road or some straight stretch after having calculated the injury to others is a Zero and if anything happens it only has to be YOU with the pain to your family members.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed