Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2007, 00:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Well..let me pitch in too... the only proper comparo test i remember ..was between Corsa, Baleno, Accent tornado and Ikon ..done sometime around end 2005 (yes yes yes...all 1.6 l engines ...lost the Autocar issue that had the test).

Baleno was the fastest AND the most fuel efficient of the lot..in fact Baleno was the fastest, Ikon the second fastest and the Accent Tornado was not in the league..so it was more in line with Corsa.

Baleno was 4 secs faster to 140kmph than Accent Tornado 1.6 DOHC GLX .

What carwale.com have done is collect data from different sources and put on their website...now I for one will not take Baleno's accleration from overdrive, Accent from ACI and then compare the two together...
to me the aforementioned comparo done by ACI remains the most believable since the cars were together and tested by the same drivers and the same equipment...
In addition, please dont forget that Baleno is the widest car of the lot mentioned above (!.69 mm versus 1.67 for accent and 1.62 for ikon).
Needless to mention, my vote goes for Baleno and I test drove the Accent (yes 1.6) too before I reconfirmed my decision.

@harshavardhan...what do you mean by saying that Accent is 150 kgs heavier.. IMHO the difference is < 15kgs to the best of my knowledge unless you start adding up the drivers weight too

Last edited by Buffetfan : 24th October 2007 at 00:12.
Old 24th October 2007, 00:16   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Well..let me pitch in too... the only proper comparo test i remember ..was between Corsa, Baleno, Accent tornado and Ikon ..done sometime around end 2005 (yes yes yes...all 1.6 l engines ...lost the Autocar issue that had the test).

Baleno was the fastest AND the most fuel efficient of the lot..in fact Baleno was the fastest, Ikon the second fastest and the Accent Tornado was not in the league..so it was more in line with Corsa.

Baleno was 4 secs faster to 140kmph than Accent Tornado 1.6 DOHC GLX .

What carwale.com have done is collect data from different sources and put on their website...now I for one will not take Baleno's accleration from overdrive, Accent from ACI and then compare the two together...
to me the aforementioned comparo done by ACI remains the most believable since the cars were together and tested by the same drivers and the same equipment...
In addition, please dont forget that Baleno is the widest car of the lot mentioned above (!.69 mm versus 1.67 for accent and 1.62 for ikon).
Needless to mention, my vote goes for Baleno and I test drove the Accent (yes 1.6) too before I reconfirmed my decision.

@harshavardhan...what do you mean by saying that Accent is 150 kgs heavier.. IMHO the difference is < 15kgs to the best of my knowledge unless you start adding up the drivers weight too
Was this a Euro II Baleno or the Euro III one.
Hyundai Lover please take it forward.
Old 24th October 2007, 07:45   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post

1) You mean 1690 mm, 1670 mm, 1620 mm.? That's more like REAL cars.
2) The difference is close to 150 kg between the Baloney and the Accident.

Note from Team-BHP Staff: Kindly spell the car names properly, the owners of these two well-loved cars surely won't appreciate your repeated mockery.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th October 2007 at 09:31.
Old 24th October 2007, 09:14   #109
BANNED

I guess you mean between Baleno & Accent
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
2) The difference is close to 150 kg between the Baloney and the Accident.
Old 24th October 2007, 09:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Note from Team-BHP Staff: Kindly spell the car names properly, the owners of these two well-loved cars surely won't appreciate your repeated mockery.

I love them both, though my personal favourite is the Baleno.
I regret the fact that it is no more.
Old 24th October 2007, 10:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, All Hyundai cars look good on paper. Some of them are good even in real life usage. Hyundai Accent is one of them, buttt as Jeremy Clarkson would probably say, it has got no soul.. it is something you buy to get from point A to point B.

And it gets worse with the Verna.. Sure, the point A to point B journey would probably be much more exciting in a Verna compared to a Baleno.. but no guarantees that u would reach point B though
Old 24th October 2007, 10:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. lol.

While it could be debatable as to whether the Accent1.6 or Baleno is faster, what is proven is that a thread on them accelerates from 1 to 8 pages in a matter of days. Hmm.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Accent :
+
  • Well proprtioned in looks
  • Better looking dashboard
Baleno
+
  • Engine that doesnt feel stressed at higher RPM
  • Better handler
Apart from this there are many but I really dont think the comments posted by many are rational and clearly both are not hardcore driving machines either . They can be modified into better driving machines and in this sense Baleno may be at advantage. And people who are going all out on hyundai engines , just try driving an Elantra Diesel . And when making statement just plot out the matter not matter+emtion.
I like baleno but that doesnt meant I have to hate an accent . Both are competent products . As far as the matter better packaging is concerned the belief of our Aam Janata is very clear.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:15   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

@max - Baleno is also bigger and more comfortable and much better VFM than the Accent. Not to mention more FE as well.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:17   #115
Senior - BHPian

Still so much of activity here on this thread, now it is becoming a true thread with not many fights here

It really amazes me to see that so much of activity on cars which have almost ceased to be in production ( Accent still there, Baleno out )

IMHO I feel MUL did a blunder by stopping to make the Baleno. They could have slashed the price to about 5 - 5.3 Lacs and continue selling it.

Look at Hyundai, They started seling the Verna but did not discontinue the Accent. In fact I assume Accent Petrol GLE 1.5 is selling more than all Petrol Variants of Verna combined. Their true sales are mostly Verna in CRDi Variant.

In Fact what MUL Should have done is stopped the Esteem ( Or have they done that already ? )

Anyways, Sorry for going OT - Moral of the Story is - Both cars are excellent and very reliable cars. Maybe a + / - point here or there, does not matter really.

I have driven my Accent 05 GLE for 30,000 kms and been to places like Manali, Rohtang Pass, Mussoorie, Places where roads do not exist on stock tyres, and places with steep inclines where even other cars twice as expensive were struggling. The Accent never ever gave up on me, it kept going strong. This is what I call a well engineered car which you can trust.

I am sure people who own Baleno's would have similar stories to tell but I am only telling you my side of the story of the car I own.

You can see a few pics in my gallery
Cheers to both the cars !!!
Old 24th October 2007, 11:18   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@max - Baleno is also bigger and more comfortable and much better VFM than the Accent. Not to mention more FE as well.
also the balenos ac which is awesome.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
also the balenos ac which is awesome.
This even I can back up. In fact I sat in a Baleno a few years back when it was originally launched, The AC was simply excellent even at 1 speed.

Also a few years back ACI Did a Car AC Comparison test and I think the Baleno was ranked in cooling better than the S class !! Which is a big feat in itself.
Old 24th October 2007, 12:36   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The GLS came with 175 13" tyres
The GTX with 185 14" tyres

- You mention that the GLS has wider tyres than the GTX. What tyres does your car have?
- Could you please elaborate on the slight difference in engine and gearbox between the GLS & GTX?
@Hyundai_Lover - bump !
Would be nice if you responded to these queries.
Old 24th October 2007, 12:48   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
neither of the korean or japenese work well for me...
Korean - no refinement, unusaul power band, understeer , pathetic car(clarkson says).
Japenese - paper weight(indica hatch is heavier), fuel efficiency over safety is their moto, parts unrelaible.. etc etc....

German - the Complete car.
"Part unreliable" ??....and that too the Japs ????? I hope you were in your right senses when you disconnected reliability with Japanese cars. Also, what else do the "etc etc" mean ??
Old 24th October 2007, 12:54   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post

And it gets worse with the Verna.. Sure, the point A to point B journey would probably be much more exciting in a Verna compared to a Baleno.. but no guarantees that u would reach point B though

That is even more exciting, isn't it ? Not knowing when the axle decides to detach itself from the car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed