Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2007, 15:39   #1
BHPian

My friend bought Baleno and he blindly curse Hyundai for Accents. Mine is Accent 1.6L. One day, he told me thrice that Hyundai is $#%$# and they make #$%$ cars. I asked to compare his Baleno with mine by any means.

Started with the body... Baleno thin body. even a slight bump makes its body mold inside. lol mine was good hardcore if compared. then we compared engines... baleno 1.6L vs accent 1.6L again mine had a upper hand. then looks ofcourse accent. then handling... again accent. Now comes the real test of power. My fav. place... Expressway, Noida. Really Really poor gearbox of Maruti Baleno yucks!! Baleno Clean Bold and out.. now he bought Verna Petrol haha and his brother bought Sonata Emberra. haha

Maruti degrades their cars like anything, thats why they initiate their margine in their spare parts and after sale services.

Take an Example of Swift. Again Thin Sheets used. Poor Interior quality and Doors rattling sound. What the $%$# is that? after spending 5 lakh bucks on swift. We are getting this?

SX4 again thin sheets poor fittings, lame rear view, poor plastic quality, poor bumper quality, my friend's sx4 is giving problems with the dashboard not opening up. over drive oct. edition an angry man having sx4's door lock in his hands and told overdrive that his door handle is off for the 3rd time haha. they provided 1.6L dohc engine. but where is the performance? poor gearbox quality and all that things... they are able to provide airbags and bla bla in it. whats the use of 16" alloys if they are providing 3rd class tyres i.e JK Tyres. Duh!! really funny and people being less aware of it are booking it blindly, not a good ride quality in poor roads, big turning radius. Duh!! People are buying it because it is a Maruti lol.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd October 2007 at 08:04. Reason: turning OT to a new discussion
Old 21st October 2007, 19:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
Started with the body... Baleno thin body. even a slight bump makes its body mold inside. lol mine was good hardcore if compared. then we compared engines... baleno 1.6L vs accent 1.6L again mine had a upper hand. then looks ofcourse accent. then handling... again accent. Now comes the real test of power. My fav. place... Expressway, Noida. Really Really poor gearbox of Maruti Baleno yucks!! Baleno Clean Bold and out..
New in Team-BHP?

In Team-BHP nobody is going to buy the Accent 1.6L faster than Baleno story, assuming both are un-modded. But it is your opinion, so your entitled to it.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd October 2007 at 08:05.
Old 21st October 2007, 22:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
P.S: Guys, please don't start Baleno vs Accent discussion here, that wil be very much OT.
No no no no. Very far from everyone's mind I'm sure.
What is amazing is the way the man is RANTING - I picture him foaming at the mouth!!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2007, 22:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In Team-BHP nobody is going to buy the Accent 1.6L faster than Baleno story, assuming both are un-modded. But it is your opinion, so your entitled to it.

Well, decided to google on 0-100 figures for both cars. And, this is what I got.

Accent 1.6 - 10.9 secs and top speed of 189 kmph as per wikipedia

Baleno - 11.13 secs and top speed of 180 kmph as per domain-b.com

Was not able to find baleno timings on any other sites. Posting the links. Somebody confirm.

Hyundai Accent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
domain-b : Indian business : automotive : models : Maruti Baleno
Old 21st October 2007, 23:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

hyundai lover, i fail to understand one of your findings, in which way is a accent 1.6 better than a baleno 1.6? maybe on paper, but we drive on something different u see! (build quality and interiors i agree though!)

@Burnt: forget the paper figures, it all boils down to how they behave on road! and the baleno can whip tha accent anyday!

@Hyundai lover: pls refrain from comparing honda and hyundai! Both start with 'H', and the similarity ends there!(and pls don compare OHC vtec is only 1.5, and accent is 1.6 blah blah!)
P.S: sorry if i went OT

Last edited by JayD : 21st October 2007 at 23:21.
Old 21st October 2007, 23:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Accent 1.6 - 10.9 secs and top speed of 189 kmph as per wikipedia
On a good day with a cyclone-strength tail-wind behind you, yeah that might be possible. But under ideal conditions, sorry to say, no way is that going to happen.

Last edited by iraghava : 21st October 2007 at 23:53.
Old 22nd October 2007, 01:41   #7
BHPian

ok..!! no more accents and balenos from my side. Hey! Samurai..!! what are opinions for New Elantra ? :d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
hyundai lover, i fail to understand one of your findings, in which way is a accent 1.6 better than a baleno 1.6? maybe on paper, but we drive on something different u see! (build quality and interiors i agree though!)

@Burnt: forget the paper figures, it all boils down to how they behave on road! and the baleno can whip tha accent anyday!

@Hyundai lover: pls refrain from comparing honda and hyundai! Both start with 'H', and the similarity ends there!(and pls don compare OHC vtec is only 1.5, and accent is 1.6 blah blah!)
P.S: sorry if i went OT
Yup Samurai, i'm a bit new to this forum. Well..!! its my personal experience.
I havnt seen both the car's top speed 0-100 kmph bla bla ever in my life on the net. So, no paper work please. I had driven both of them. I had enough practical boosting of 4 different balenos at different time with my friends on express ways, noida till now. None of them was able to beat. Sorry, I don't think so. I think you are mistaken with the Accent 1.5L and Accent 1.6L, please both the cars are totally different from each other. Totally different Performance.

Talking of baleno, have ya ever seen thinnest metallic sheets used in baleno? Dude..!! Accent 1.6L have much much better gearbox than baleno, Which makes Accent to be more quicker and faster.

Now, i had seen people saying SX4 performance is an upgrade version of baleno. Duh!! poor torque delivery at low rpms. Sorry, to say and nothing personal, I had seen 5 people in my circle having 4 balenos and 1 was likely to buy a 2nd hand baleno. 2 of them switched over to Verna VGT, 1 of them to Verna Petrol, 1 of them to Accent 1.6L and the one who was about to buy baleno, switched over to accent 1.6L Viva.
Me myself was a Maruti Fan long time back, when i was not much aware of the cars. Oh Esteem Wow oh Baleno Wow. Me myself was about to buy baleno, but my luck my cousin asked me to have a TD of accent. Duh!! Shocked. and next day Accent. Yo!

Everybody have their personal experiences, well!! you must have wipped away the accents and i wipped away balenos sx4s honda cities fiestas aveos optras octavias (with top speeds hehe). You wont believe but my top speed ever in my car was 193 kmph. No mods done. Infact i have few vids of mine when i use to race around like a freak long back.

Anyways, Its an Elantra and Tucson discussion not Baleno vs Accent.

Waiting for New Elantra, if the reports are good in terms of handling etc. then my money on New Elantra over Civics. hehe
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

Since this topic has never been discussed, I created a new thread.

Be Nice, be Civil. Personal attacks will not be allowed.
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Definitely the Hyundais are better VFM than the marutis.. PERIOD.
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well !! I have currently a Accent 1.5 and I have driven Baleno quite a bit. I think to be fair, both cars are equally good !!

I would not say the Baleno is a better car or the Accent is. Both are very very good. Yes, the Accent sold huge numbers these last few years ( still sells well ). Baleno never took off. In fact it is more in demand after car has been stopped.

As far as 0 - 100 goes, Top speed of Accent is no way 189 !!! I can back this up. More like 175 - 178 kph.

Looks - Well both cars are old school designs ( I like both of them ). Interiors - Accent is far better.

Engine - Baleno's a winner here.

So that's my thinking !! Cheers !!

Last edited by vkochar : 22nd October 2007 at 08:26.
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:43   #11
BHPian

In other markets, Hyundai cars are cheap to buy and the quality is not comparable to japanese cars. But in India, Hyundai cars are overpriced inspite of being manufactured locally.

I would any day buy a Suzuki/Honda/Toyota brand car over a Hyundai.
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Forget other markets, but in india atleast i think the hyundai cars come with better build quality, finish and features than maruti. Wheres maruti cars start rattling away to glory very soon, hyundais last better. The engine and gearbox are usually where maruti/suzuki has an edge.
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
My friend bought Baleno and he blindly curse Hyundai for Accents. Mine is Accent 1.6L. One day, he told me thrice that Hyundai is $#%$# and they make #$%$ cars. I asked to compare his Baleno with mine by any means.

Started with the body... Baleno thin body. even a slight bump makes its body mold inside. lol mine was good hardcore if compared. then we compared engines... baleno 1.6L vs accent 1.6L again mine had a upper hand. then looks ofcourse accent. then handling... again accent. Now comes the real test of power. My fav. place... Expressway, Noida. Really Really poor gearbox of Maruti Baleno yucks!! Baleno Clean Bold and out.. now he bought Verna Petrol haha and his brother bought Sonata Emberra. haha

Maruti degrades their cars like anything, thats why they initiate their margine in their spare parts and after sale services.

Take an Example of Swift. Again Thin Sheets used. Poor Interior quality and Doors rattling sound. What the $%$# is that? after spending 5 lakh bucks on swift. We are getting this?

SX4 again thin sheets poor fittings, lame rear view, poor plastic quality, poor bumper quality, my friend's sx4 is giving problems with the dashboard not opening up. over drive oct. edition an angry man having sx4's door lock in his hands and told overdrive that his door handle is off for the 3rd time haha. they provided 1.6L dohc engine. but where is the performance? poor gearbox quality and all that things... they are able to provide airbags and bla bla in it. whats the use of 16" alloys if they are providing 3rd class tyres i.e JK Tyres. Duh!! really funny and people being less aware of it are booking it blindly, not a good ride quality in poor roads, big turning radius. Duh!! People are buying it because it is a Maruti lol.
Please do not cut this chain. This was started by Kim Chom from Korea in the year 2000. Please send it to 7 people whom you know. My friend who refused to send it got his engine (of course Maruti car) bursted while driving.
Another friend who had forwarded it to 100 people is getting a mileage of 55.5kmpl for his Accent.

Last edited by sivadas : 22nd October 2007 at 09:04.
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Please do not cut this chain. This was started by Kim Chom from Korea in the year 2000. Please send it to 7 people whom you know. My friend who refused to send it got his engine (of course Maruti car) bursted while driving.
Another friend who had forwarded it to 100 people is getting a mileage of 55.5kmpl for his Accent.

(twenty charecters)
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Definitely the Hyundais are better VFM than the marutis.. PERIOD.
I support the statement vehemently & wholeheartedly!!

Yes...hyundai is overpricing their cars here by quite a margin though. Buttttttt they don't sell till they reduce this substantially (an example is the Elantra)...but they come with all the bells & whistles & safety features one is looking for & then some!!!

I can confidently say my next car (or upgrade) WILL be another HYUNDAI!

HYUNDAI ROCKS!!

Last edited by 1self : 22nd October 2007 at 09:41.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed