Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Grapes are sour. It's ok my dear friend that you try to console yourself with the car you got stuck.
But anyway, we are car lovers here,not company lovers.So please be little bit civilized while posting your opinion about some car. It doesn't look good and only makes you look cheap. If you don't mind telling, are you from the indiaCar forum where I've seen only mud-slinging and car bashing?The things doesn't work like that here.
Yes,you have your right to have some opinion and so others also have the rights to take or trash your opinion.
Regards,

EDIT : BTW, I'm not a mod but that's what I feel about this forum and would love it to be remain as a friendly place of car lovers.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 22nd October 2007 at 16:42.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:51   #32
BHPian

@ Hyundai lover :

Owning an Accent 1.6 Gtx when it was launched at the very first (2002) I was also very keen at this accent 1.6 v/s baleno v/s city 1.5 v/s Ikon and wanted the accent to triumph because of road burning paper facts such as 103 Bhp , a 180+ top speed (as claimed by one of the articles in overdrive). But in reality i know what hardhip i have gone to make the car a reasonable buy. I was really happy about the features i was provided such as ABS, 6 cd changer. Alloys and what not. But even i failed to understand why it wasnt faster.One of the facts being the power to weight of Baleno is good (960 kgs) compared to accent 1.6 ltr (1125+ kgs).

The Accent engine was very very rough and wasnt the "begged to be revved" types where as its Jap counterparts aka Honda and Baleno were free revving at its best. I tried synthetic lubricants, K&N , free flow, plugs to make me "think" my car can go faster but that dint help it a lot .Then after 56000 kms i learnt to be satisfied atleast that things like smoothness, free revvability of the engine have improved to a certain extent as it felt way better than what it used to be when i bought it. Trust me the DOHC was hell to ride with in the beggining few kilometres and was noisy as hell. Thanks to Mr. Subbu's help I was able to source a few insulation pads from Hyundai and i added it on. Which definetly helped.
What I advice you is instead of getting agitated at the facts people telling you that your car is crap. Try and run it the way it is supposed to be like a family sedan, Neck on Neck performance's with Jap cars is not a daily deed you would be going through so just enjoy the power of car instead of trying to out race other cars and trust me the accent 1.6 ltr is quite a powerful car. Other accent 1.6 ltr owners will vouch for that.

P.S - This is just my 2 cents owning a accent 1.6 and owning a suzuki 1.3.
I dont mean to offend any comments.

Last edited by redrage : 22nd October 2007 at 16:59.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:32   #33
BHPian

Well, this is a really interesting topic. But it seems most people are posting without realizing that we are referring to the Accent 1.6 (a.k.a Accent Tornado) rather than the Accent 1.5 which is the one commonly found on our roads.

I've never driven the Accent 1.6, but the Baleno is one hell of a car to drive. One of my favorites. I found it rather surprising that on paper, the accent 1.6 seems to be quicker(Is that really true?). I am expecting people who have driven both cars to shed some light on this rather than go hyundai bashing which is what seems to be happening here more.
Old 22nd October 2007, 19:58   #34
BHPian

neither of the korean or japenese work well for me...
Korean - no refinement, unusaul power band, understeer , pathetic car(clarkson says).
Japenese - paper weight(indica hatch is heavier), fuel efficiency over safety is their moto, parts unrelaible.. etc etc....

German - the Complete car.
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Baleno was a failure of marketing strategy for maruti (the only one failure in India by Maruti).

All Hyundai and Maruti lovers, just try driving a FIAT UNO 1.2, a FIAT Palio 1.6, or a FIAT Adventure Sport 1.6. You'll realise what drive quality is all about.
Ever heard of the versa??

Yeah Right, buy anything else and realize what A** is all about!
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:33   #36
BHPian

Damn man!! Hyundai lover is all like 'Hail Hyundai'!! Oh well, each to his own. But don't dish out on other cars like this dude, have some respect!!
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:30   #37
BHPian

Have driven the Accent 1.5, Accent 1.6 Tornado and also the later version of Accent 1.6 GVS.

The accent is powerful no doubt, on paper 100 + horses is nothing to sneer about. But with around 10 horses less the baleno is much more fun than the accent. Accent is a outright family car, and baleno is a driver's car.

Like redrage said, the Accent feels quite rough when revved hard, still it will pick up revs but slower than the suzi engine. The jap smoothness is just not there. The engine note when revved hard begs you to stop and just drive around sedately. Baleno engines feels like butter compared to the korean couterpart. It just begs you to rev hard and to the moon. And moreover the 2nd gear adrenaline rush is unparalled.

Given a choice would buy the Baleno, becoz over everything else, engine rulez!
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:44   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Korean - no refinement, unusaul power band, understeer , pathetic car(clarkson says).
Japenese - paper weight(indica hatch is heavier), fuel efficiency over safety is their moto, parts unrelaible.. etc etc....

since when is this?
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:16   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post

Are you comparing Suzuki/Honda/hyundai cars with Mercedes/Audi/BMW league?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
I am expecting people who have driven both cars to shed some light on this
Think the two posts below prove the point beyond doubt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Have driven the Accent 1.5, Accent 1.6 Tornado and also the later version of Accent 1.6 GVS.Given a choice would buy the Baleno, becoz over everything else, engine rulez!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Owning an Accent 1.6 Gtx when it was launched at the very first (2002) Try and run it the way it is supposed to be like a family sedan

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd October 2007 at 22:21.
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Another friend who had forwarded it to 100 people is getting a mileage of 55.5kmpl for his Accent.
Now, isn't that incentive enough to spoil your reputation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
@ Hyundai lover :

Owning an Accent 1.6 Gtx when it was launched at the very first (2002) I was also very keen at this accent 1.6 v/s baleno v/s city 1.5 v/s Ikon and wanted the accent to triumph because of road burning paper facts such as 103 Bhp , a 180+ top speed (as claimed by one of the articles in overdrive). But in reality i know what hardhip i have gone to make the car a reasonable buy. I was really happy about the features i was provided such as ABS, 6 cd changer. Alloys and what not. But even i failed to understand why it wasnt faster.One of the facts being the power to weight of Baleno is good (960 kgs) compared to accent 1.6 ltr (1125+ kgs).

The Accent engine was very very rough and wasnt the "begged to be revved" types where as its Jap counterparts aka Honda and Baleno were free revving at its best. I tried synthetic lubricants, K&N , free flow, plugs to make me "think" my car can go faster but that dint help it a lot .Then after 56000 kms i learnt to be satisfied atleast that things like smoothness, free revvability of the engine have improved to a certain extent as it felt way better than what it used to be when i bought it. Trust me the DOHC was hell to ride with in the beggining few kilometres and was noisy as hell. Thanks to Mr. Subbu's help I was able to source a few insulation pads from Hyundai and i added it on. Which definetly helped.
What I advice you is instead of getting agitated at the facts people telling you that your car is crap. Try and run it the way it is supposed to be like a family sedan, Neck on Neck performance's with Jap cars is not a daily deed you would be going through so just enjoy the power of car instead of trying to out race other cars and trust me the accent 1.6 ltr is quite a powerful car. Other accent 1.6 ltr owners will vouch for that.

P.S - This is just my 2 cents owning a accent 1.6 and owning a suzuki 1.3.
I dont mean to offend any comments.

Fantastic review redrage. I have met many many accents 1.6, 1.5, CRDI et all on the highways with very enthu drivers but have never ever seen one of them beat a carb esteem for a 0-100. I find mr.x's observations at best imaginary. Baleno is a baleno , be it may with tin sheets (What are other cars made of ?).
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Anyway, according to Autocar India,
Baleno 0-100kmph in 11.13 sec
Accent 1.6 0-100kmph in 12.34 sec

Also HyundaiLover mentioned that Accent is better then Baleno, can you please elaborate what methods/benchmarking did you used to find out this?
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
they are able to provide airbags and bla bla in it. whats the use of 16" alloys if they are providing 3rd class tyres i.e JK Tyres. Duh!! really funny and people being less aware of it are booking it blindly, not a good ride quality in poor roads, big turning radius. Duh!! People are buying it because it is a Maruti lol.
Does hyundai provide you with quality bridgestones & michelins & pirellis ?? The max i have seen in a stock accent is a S322.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Well, decided to google on 0-100 figures for both cars. And, this is what I got.

Accent 1.6 - 10.9 secs and top speed of 189 kmph as per wikipedia

Baleno - 11.13 secs and top speed of 180 kmph as per domain-b.com

Was not able to find baleno timings on any other sites. Posting the links. Somebody confirm.

Hyundai Accent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
domain-b : Indian business : automotive : models : Maruti Baleno
Figures above could be for the international version of the accent, not the indian one.
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:21   #43
Team-BHP Support

All Hyundai lovers should watch Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift where Han gives them a good beating - "WHat do you think? I would let you drive a Hyundai ??? "

this thread is an insult to Baleno
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:36   #44
BHPian

I am going back to the times when we had a circuit racing and we had our opposition from coimbatore arriving in hyundai accents (5-6yrsback)...frustration spread prety soon and we had to pick an accent from a friend who had bought it...(I was running in the carb esteem,) took multiple spins to check the drive, it was the first time i was driving an accent and to my surprise, lap timings were poor in the accents, so was the same in a straight line drag...it was such a relief after that drive....
so when u say the 1.6 tornado beats the G16B it damn difficult to digest mate.....
and regarding the spare parts being unreliable on a japanese car,,,I wonder from which day did the Italians in India start to make them reliable??

Last edited by CaliforniaKnight : 23rd October 2007 at 01:37.
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Whatever is said in the "Fast and Furious" has to be taken very seriously. Steering grip positions shown by Vin Diesel is to be benchmarked.

However, some people know what to think of these films and the segment of people they glorify.

Some interesting Hyundai's may soon be on the roads. Infact the GETZ was a turnaround product. It displays Same tactile feel as many a European cars (only softly sprung). Lets just pray for better cars, irrespective of the brands they belong to.

This thread is about Accent Tornado and Baleno. Keep it at that. My take is that an Accent (including the tornado) is a car loaded with features but essentially middle-of-the-pack in every other area.

Last edited by 1100D : 23rd October 2007 at 01:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks