Team-BHP - Esteem Diesel on the Cards ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Esteem Diesel on the Cards ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/30392-esteem-diesel-cards.html)

Was talking to some friends and it appears that Esteem is going to be back next year in DIESEL format. Did anyone hear the same ? Would love to see the old beauty back on road

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 603529)
Was talking to some friends and it appears that Esteem is going to be back next year in DIESEL format. Did anyone hear the same ? Would love to see the old beauty back on road

I doubt if they will phase out a car and then bring it back again after their Zen experience.

If at all a diesel version is introduced, it should be in their new Swift sedan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 603534)
If at all a diesel version is introduced, it should be in their new Swift sedan

With the esteem name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 603541)
With the esteem name.

I dont think so. Because then they would not have made public the news that Esteem was being phased out and getting replaced with the Swift Sedan. I think I read somewhere on the forum that it might be called Swift Dzire.

Yes rumors are there that this Swift Sedan will come in both petrol and diesel.

Esteem still has a market, so Maruti shouldn't kill it. Infact whats the harm in having two products at the similar price points. A new Esteem diesel is good news in a sense that the Esteem is here to stay. Will keep the privateer rallyists happy.

and they could really price the esteem diesel well if they use the 1.3multijet currently doing duty in the swift.this could help maruti counter attack the logan diesel.i dont see why maruti wouldnt do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 604436)
Esteem still has a market, so Maruti shouldn't kill it.

I second your thought. The design and specs of the car may change but the brand should be retained. The Esteem is sure a car that is worthy enough to witness many generations.

If i remember correctly, there was an esteem diesel that was launched but it flopped as it was priced too high and barely offered any features.
Even today, given Maruti's new image, no one will pay a 6.5L (1L more for diesel engine) for an esteem as it is still considered a VFM and cheap car and not in the same league as the Swift and SX4.

If the Swift sedan ends up within 50K of the Esteem, its it will be very hard from them to justify their co-existance. Now, if they want to drop the 1.1 liter engine in it and make it dirt cheap, there may be some opportunity there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 604436)
Esteem still has a market, so Maruti shouldn't kill it. Infact whats the harm in having two products at the similar price points. A new Esteem diesel is good news in a sense that the Esteem is here to stay. Will keep the privateer rallyists happy.

If they kill the Esteem, the prices of used Esteems will crash and the privateer rallyists will be more happy.

The SX4 diesel is pending too. I hope Maruti brings both the 1.8 for SX4 and 1.3 for Esteem/SSedan at the same time - that would be some serious beating for the competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 604476)
If the kill the Esteem, the prices of used Esteems will crash and the privateer rallyists will be more happy.

For only a few days.

However Esteems cater to the Taxi/hire-car market, which Maruti will most likely not want the Swift Sedan to appeal to.

IIRC, Esteem is among the cars that do not meet the crash safety regulations that are expected to be introduced in 2008. If that's true, there is little hope for Esteem.