Team-BHP - Will Maruti ever launch Gypsy with 1.3L DDI-S Engine ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Will Maruti ever launch Gypsy with 1.3L DDI-S Engine ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/30402-will-maruti-ever-launch-gypsy-1-3l-ddi-s-engine.html)

Hi All,

Will Maruti Suzuki ever launch Gypsy with 1.3L DDI-S engine ? I think it makes tremendous sense (marketing & cost economics). Imagine a Gypsy with 1.3L DDI-S engine, revised dash and instrument cluster (with Tachometer), EPS, 4-Wheel Discs + ABS, Soft-top at the price of a Swift DDI-S ? You have off-roading capability coupled with the cost economics of diesel + A.S.S of Maruti :thumbs up . You have one capable machine.

I know M&M makes the Invader, but the 4 X 4 does not have PS option ...

PS - Tried searching for an identical thread, could not find it. Moderators please merge this thread with the existing one if another already exists. Thanks.

-Harshavardhan

Now THAT would be just AWESOME!! No competition whatsoever, and even today a great looking car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harshavardhan (Post 603853)
Hi All,

Will Maruti Suzuki ever launch Gypsy with 1.3L DDI-S engine ? I think it makes tremendous sense (marketing & cost economics). Imagine a Gypsy with 1.3L DDI-S engine, revised dash and instrument cluster (with Tachometer), EPS, 4-Wheel Discs + ABS, Soft-top at the price of a Swift DDI-S ? You have off-roading capability coupled with the cost economics of diesel + A.S.S of Maruti :thumbs up . You have one capable machine.

I know M&M makes the Invader, but the 4 X 4 does not have PS option ...

PS - Tried searching for an identical thread, could not find it. Moderators please merge this thread with the existing one if another already exists. Thanks.

-Harshavardhan

To answer your question as simply as possible : No.

Why not there are news about launching of Jimmy which is a near clone of gypsy & this model is available with 1.5DDIs engine with abs airbags & some good comfort levels at around 7 to 9 lakhs for a 4x4 model in europe. Its also having a decent efficiency of around 16 for diesel & 13.5 for petrol which is 1300 cc VVT engine please find below the details.

This is also available with manual & automatic transmission & 4x2 & 4x4.

Check out photo gallery also wherein u will find a good dashboard also.

Translated version of http://www.suzuki.fr/pages/gamme/jimny/presentation.asp

Some snaps of ineteriors

Lovely snaps there.
The open top silver one in the second snap looks awsome.

Give me one, Maruti...

Lack of rear passenger doors might hinder sales and hence marketing decision.

My understanding is that Maruti R&D did indeed try to mate a diesel to the Gypsy just within the last year put gave up the idea after a time because there was not enough room in the engine compartment for a diesel engine big enough to be practical.

Harsha, I am just happy that they havent killed the Gypsy yet. Its almost 20 years old sells in such low numbers that Maruti have decided to drag in on until it dies a natural death. I'll be surprised if they allocate any funds for updating this aging icon.

A diesel should have been done 10 years ago, if not 20. Heck, they did'nt even bother to launch a 2wd version (90% of mahindra/Tata sales are 2wd)....such is the vision of the product planners. Very rarely will Maruti do anything on their own for Indian market. Usually we are happy if they bring in what Suzuki sells overseas.

Of course exceptions were ZenD and EsteemD. If the army or police asks for it, MUL may do it, because right now they are the biggest customers. Otherwise slim chance

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...el-santro.html

And seems the 1.1/1.2 CRDi is not yet ready for PA ( source techy who went for training for PA)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 604163)
My understanding is that Maruti R&D did indeed try to mate a diesel to the Gypsy just within the last year put gave up the idea after a time because there was not enough room in the engine compartment for a diesel engine big enough to be practical.

What is the source of your information? There are many Gypsies running around with aftermarket Isuzu 1.8 diesels, Toyota diesels and who knows what else. The big boxy front end should provide plenty of room. More room can always be created by moving jack and battery to the rear.

Maruti would most definitely have done it a few years back. Heck, they would have loved to do it now as well. But with competition's newer models making them look bad before the Swift and the resultant model spruce-up underway, there's a very remote chance that they'll release any such thing now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 Bond (Post 604025)

Harsh, a Gypsy at this point with re-done interiors and ABS would not make much sense. But after seeing the picture above, I am hooked on the Jimny! If maruti can sell one of those for a price range between the Swift and the Fusion, there is every chance that they might just open up an affordable lifestyle segment which began and ended with the M&M Classic. Come on Maruti, do something fun!

The 1.3 MJD in Gypsy, even if one gets to package it in the Gypsy chassis, will not work. Offroaders needs plenty of torque available at low revs, where the 1.3 MJD only builds torque in truckloads only after the 1800-2000 rpm zone.

Moreover, sales brochure pics? If only we could base our buying decisions based on those pics. Pictures they say are worth a thousand words, quite true, but what words they are trying to convey may not be the complete truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 604232)
The 1.3 MJD in Gypsy, even if one gets to package it in the Gypsy chassis, will not work. Offroaders needs plenty of torque available at low revs, where the 1.3 MJD only builds torque in truckloads only after the 1800-2000 rpm zone.

Moreover, sales brochure pics? If only we could base our buying decisions based on those pics. Pictures they say are worth a thousand words, quite true, but what words they are trying to convey may not be the complete truth.

Turbo can be upgraded to VGT, power can be tuned to 90BHP (like on other Fiat cars) and you are all set.