Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 12:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Honda Accord Review by Canadian Driver.

I am beginning to like the looks of the new Accord. It looks very rich and luxurious. Steering wheel could have been better designed though. The maroon colour in the review also looks very good on the car.
Old 28th November 2007, 12:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

So they are bringing the higher power version of 4 cylinder (with little detune) ?
Old 2nd December 2007, 20:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

In stock form the New Accord doens't look as stunning as the presetn one but what if someone could fabricate a body kit like this for the 4 door sedan in India?

Source - Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Honda Introduces a World-Debut Concept Vehicle at 2007 SEMA Show

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd December 2007 at 20:26.
Old 2nd December 2007, 20:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...270 horses...yum...

Gawd. How I wish they'd get the 6-speed manual....
Old 21st December 2007, 20:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

First hand report?

Was at the Dubai Motor Show last month [aaahhh koenigsegg] and happened to have a look at the 2008 Accord as well though I was obviously distracted by far more exotic stuff, so i went over to the Honda dealership on Shk.Zayed Road to have a good look at the new one,for it might just be the next car. And i must say, exterior styling is as much of a step downwards as it was upwards with the last redesign of 2004. There's nothing about it, nothing really, that makes the car feel even slightly special. Its just too functional!

Of course, Honda ain't got everything wrong. The interiors, IMO, were great, in terms of quality and space [rear legroom was a bit tight though, maybe coz a couple others were sitting in front so i couldn't push the seats up further. Still, overall impressions of the interior are positive. Its simply put, a nice place to be in.

Therefore, a mixed bag. Somehow, I just cant justify the styling. Ape an Embera?
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

On seeing the first few cars on the roads, they felt better. Welcome change from the far too futuristic styling they are excersizing. Looks more substantial and seems to have some personality about it.
Old 22nd December 2007, 14:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

will honda be launching the v6 version straight form the very begining of the sale or will they launch it later? that is the question.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Ummm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Looks more substantial and seems to have some personality about it.
Well somehow it looked really insignificant to me. This, standing in the Honda showroom itself, when you see the car puts its best foot forward to attract buyers. I keep saying this but its too ordinary IMO. And i'll tell you why. In USA where this ar is driven by pretty much everything or everyone that can drive, the styling isn't exactly the first priority that's considered by the prospective buyer [unless its a college student]. However, in India, people who have a fairly large bag of money to move around buy this car, and they except a certain stature for this kinda car.

Observe;

[a] The old Sonata sold like crazy till people realized its fundamentally not as good as people thought it to be. The new one, although a brilliant car (CRDi 6MT) does not sell much because it doesn't say it's worth what it is. The interiors don't really make the cut.

[b] The old Accord sold fairly slowly against the Sonata. Styling not that great, too close to the OHC in layman's terms in every way, even the column stalks were borrowed over. Just didn't look or feel that expensive against the old Sonata. As soon as the new one was out, your neighbour knew you were spending Sixteen. And even the last few are selling rather well, but not as well as they were, thats cause of my next example.

[c] The old Camry, a rather disproportionate and ungainly bum IMO, far too much the gentlemanly car. Of course that worked out perfectly for a few people and those were exactly the ones who bought it. It sold decently, although mainly as hotel fleet eg. JW (Mumbai). Soon as the 2003 Accord was here, sales slowed considerably, and only picked up once again when the newest one was launched last year (or was it this year?). Now the new Camry looked every inch a nice and expensive looking car, so whatever little sales my exhibit four (i.e. the Superb) was clocking were reduced even further.

So basically, what i'm trying to say is although it is a really good car as far as the interiors are concerned [atleast the few I sat inside in Dubai felt good and were well-equipped], I don't agree with the styling of the 2008 Accord.

Open to discussion, of course. Please put forward your opinions.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:59   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
In stock form the New Accord doens't look as stunning as the presetn one but what if someone could fabricate a body kit like this for the 4 door sedan in India?
You mean something like this Shan2nu? The inspire is the Honda accord sold as the Inspire in Japan.

source:Mugen Tuning for New Honda Inspire
Old 23rd December 2007, 00:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Well somehow it looked really insignificant to me. This, standing in the Honda showroom itself, when you see the car puts its best foot forward to attract buyers. I keep saying this but its too ordinary IMO. And i'll tell you why. In USA where this ar is driven by pretty much everything or everyone that can drive, the styling isn't exactly the first priority that's considered by the prospective buyer [unless its a college student]. However, in India, people who have a fairly large bag of money to move around buy this car, and they except a certain stature for this kinda car.

Observe;

[a] The old Sonata sold like crazy till people realized its fundamentally not as good as people thought it to be. The new one, although a brilliant car (CRDi 6MT) does not sell much because it doesn't say it's worth what it is. The interiors don't really make the cut.

[b] The old Accord sold fairly slowly against the Sonata. Styling not that great, too close to the OHC in layman's terms in every way, even the column stalks were borrowed over. Just didn't look or feel that expensive against the old Sonata. As soon as the new one was out, your neighbour knew you were spending Sixteen. And even the last few are selling rather well, but not as well as they were, thats cause of my next example.

[c] The old Camry, a rather disproportionate and ungainly bum IMO, far too much the gentlemanly car. Of course that worked out perfectly for a few people and those were exactly the ones who bought it. It sold decently, although mainly as hotel fleet eg. JW (Mumbai). Soon as the 2003 Accord was here, sales slowed considerably, and only picked up once again when the newest one was launched last year (or was it this year?). Now the new Camry looked every inch a nice and expensive looking car, so whatever little sales my exhibit four (i.e. the Superb) was clocking were reduced even further.

So basically, what i'm trying to say is although it is a really good car as far as the interiors are concerned [atleast the few I sat inside in Dubai felt good and were well-equipped], I don't agree with the styling of the 2008 Accord.

Open to discussion, of course. Please put forward your opinions.
I am in a kind of agreement with what you are saying. You are probably right, however your point is also applicable elsewhere. Case in point would be the Bangled BMW's the purists hate them but the sales charts say otherwise. In anycase most people in India who are buying a car in that bracket is out to make a statement with his car and he would want his car to make a maximum statement for his money.

Now there are some (although very rare) who would rather prefer things subdued. Like a car that does not state things by its looks (neither being overtly ugly or being neo). Like a case of the late Baleno, to some it actually appealed as a no-nonsense performer without appearing to be externally so. There are some (a rarity) who beleive that a statement if made by showing your belongings is not skin deep. You are quite right that automakers should not feel a need to cater to that rarity.

Anyway, as for me, I prefer my conservative polished black boots to a myraid versatility that people turn up in gatherings. At the end, I dont feel them having made any more of a statement than what I have.
Old 23rd December 2007, 12:40   #56
BANNED

that is the dirtiest mugen everrrrrrrrr

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks