Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2007, 16:22   #1
BANNED

Logan named among best cars not sold in US

NEW DELHI: Mahindra & Mahindra's (M&M) entry level sedan Logan, which hit the Indian roads some six months back, may not have set its sales register soaring exactly, but it has been named among the 16 best cars not sold in America by a leading US magazine.

In the list of 'The Best Cars Not Sold in America', compiled by BusinessWeek in its latest edition, Logan is the only Indian car along side 15 others being sold in the non-American markets.

"The car (Logan) itself is not that interesting by the standards of US consumers -- for starters, it has got right-hand drive and the base engine is only 75 hp -- but its heritage shows how the world is shrinking," BusinessWeek said about the car.

Pointing out that Logan is originally a model from Romanian automaker Dacia, the magazine noted, "Mahindra and Mahindra would probably love to export cars to this country (US) some day, but that day is probably several years away."

Dacia is part of Renault which was bailed out of the American market way back in 1986.

Most of the other cars named in the list are from Europe and Japan, such as Opel Zafira, Peugeot 308, Renault Scenic, Citroen C3 Pluriel, Alfa Romeo Spider, Ford Focus, Smart for Two and Mercedes-Benz A Class.

The list also includes a Chinese car Cherry QQ, Nissan Pino (Japan), Holden VE Ute (Australia), Citroen C-Crosser, SEAT Altea Freetrack and Alfa Romeo 8C.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2478964.cms
Old 24th October 2007, 16:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wow, if Logan is on the same list as Cherry QQ, its not a good thing. I wonder how cherry QQ is a "Best car".
One look at the crash video, and you would be scared to be even in a stationary QQ.
that thing is more unsafe than a Bajaj three wheeler.
Old 24th October 2007, 16:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

IMO,The Suzuki Swift should be on the list too.
Old 24th October 2007, 16:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

From What I know Swift is not on sale in US. Correct me If I am wrong.

Btw Is logan being exported as a Mahindra to US ? What made them do so I wonder
Old 24th October 2007, 17:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
From What I know Swift is not on sale in US. Correct me If I am wrong.
Thats why it should be in the list.
Old 24th October 2007, 17:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
n the list of 'The Best Cars Not Sold in America', compiled by BusinessWeek in its latest edition, Logan is the only Indian car along side 15 others
The grass is always greener on the other side .

Quote:
From What I know Swift is not on sale in US.
North American Swift is the Chevrolet Aveo badged as Suzuki Swift!

But, considering that Suzuki have launched the SX4 in NA, they could revamp the American Swift with the Indian/Euro Swift.
Old 24th October 2007, 17:48   #7
BHPian

Is this a credit to Logan or discredit ? ..confused
Old 24th October 2007, 18:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

^My point too. Is it the best thing to have happened that the Logan is not sold in the US or is the Logan one of the better cars of those not sold in the US?
Old 24th October 2007, 18:24   #9
BANNED

Cherry QQ

Nissan Pino

Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Cherry QQ, Nissan Pino (Japan), Holden VE Ute (Australia), Citroen C-Crosser, SEAT Altea Freetrack and Alfa Romeo 8C.
Old 24th October 2007, 21:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
"Mahindra and Mahindra would probably love to export cars to this country (US) some day, but that day is probably several years away."
Imagine how dated it will look by then!

(although space is something i admire in that car!)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th October 2007 at 21:23.
Old 24th October 2007, 21:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dont know what to make of this. Many of its Indian compatriots are currently. or at some point of time been sold in US. So this does not really compare the Logan with the others in its segment in India. On the otherhand the Indigo is just a independent first-gen attempt from a truck manufacturer on a learning curve, so expectation wasn't really huge of it.

Does this prove any point?

Anyway is it just a coincidence that all the above cars look ugly.

Last edited by 1100D : 24th October 2007 at 21:46.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Come to think about it, the Logan does make a lot of sense for North America. The yankees, like Indians, are sedan crazy and the Logan will stand head to head with the American GM's and Ford's there in build quality too . Also, cheap and affordable transportation is what most Americans need which the Logan will fulfill quite well. Only thing is they should put a 2.0L engine with about 125-135 bhp and it can be a good alternative to the Cobalt's, Aveo's, Focus's etc.
Old 25th October 2007, 17:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

I've not been able to locate the original article from Businessweek. Just wanted to read whether they are really mentioning Mahindra. That's because, First of all.. the Logan is not an Indian car, it just gets assembled here. Secondly, Mahindra is not yet the biggest seller of the Logan in the world, nor does it sell the best ones (with ABS,Airbags..blah blah). Then why the hell will the mag mention Mahindra when it can take the name of Renault or Nissan (Mexico).
Old 25th October 2007, 17:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Ashutosh, the same article was also published in the TOI, although i dont remember the exact date. You can check up that as well.
Old 25th October 2007, 17:47   #15
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Come to think about it, the Logan does make a lot of sense for North America. The yankees, like Indians, are sedan crazy and the Logan will stand head to head with the American GM's and Ford's there in build quality too . Also, cheap and affordable transportation is what most Americans need which the Logan will fulfill quite well. Only thing is they should put a 2.0L engine with about 125-135 bhp and it can be a good alternative to the Cobalt's, Aveo's, Focus's etc.
But you forget one thing, the logan is fuel efficient , unlike the GM and Ford variants.

VBV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks