Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:09   #106
BHPian

OK, I think everyone misunderstood my post :( . I'm saying WE SHOULD NOT compare Safari with foreign SUVs as someone was a couple of pages back. I think its a great vehicle today, but only to those who are serious about offroading or has frequent long distance highway usage. My only grouse with Safari is that if Tatas believe they have a perfect vehicle in hand, they may not try to fix the obvious problems with cluthc, handling
and gear shifting which will make the vehicle far more appealing to softroaders like me without driving up the costs much.

ps: I have done a short TD on Safari before buying Innova, _only_ because of the ease to drive.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Though many may not agree with me, but as far as passenger vehicles from the TATA stable go, I prefer to wait at least for a year after the launch of a new product and them think of going for it.

During that time the product is extensively road tested by users and that feedback gives the company to improve & rectify the irritants & glitches.

2.0 TCIC was launched in '98 but the later models of 2000 + year perform better than the initial lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Well, I suggest everyone go through this read once by Harjeev ( new owner of 2.2 Ex 2x4 )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post614496

I am a little shocked by reading his story - what do you people advise ?

I was very close to buying a Safari 2.2 when it was launched BUT people advised me to rethink. I am still a Hardcore admirer of Safari.
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:06   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Well, I suggest everyone go through this read once by Harjeev ( new owner of 2.2 Ex 2x4 )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post614496

I am a little shocked by reading his story - what do you people advise ?

I was very close to buying a Safari 2.2 when it was launched BUT people advised me to rethink. I am still a Hardcore admirer of Safari.
vkochar, the answer is simple, go for 3.0 and live ever happily after. Look for my posting 153 on Safari TD thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
vkochar, the answer is simple, go for 3.0 and live ever happily after.
You are looking at no less than 2 years!!
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:17   #110
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please type your post in full and proper english. Other community users would greatly benefit from that.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2007 at 15:47.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:14   #111
BHPian

Guys.. I know there are many who are Safari fans out there 7 many scorpio...
I myself safari for its more macho look and believe that it has ruled the space and too fair & square...

but guys.. just leave the money part.. i mean.. I know it is priced cheap.. but not that cheap, that Tata guys, cant give us properly fitted interiors, Non-squeaking doors, handles coming out all of a Car which is sitting pretty in the showroom with 30 kms in the meter reading.

I know 7.5 lacs is less as far as SUVs are concerned.. but atleast they can look at these basic things..

Even safari owners here in this forum will agree that you cant give a Car whose Dashborad has the rubber coming out at all the places, It instantly puts an impression to the buyer that as if he is not getting full value of his car ....

Safari, should be improved upon not only in terms of handling but these basic points should be kept in mind while launching a commercial vehicle..

I mean how many cars going at 100 kph on a highway with all the windows closed.. give a feeling that air is gushing in from somewhere from the rear door .... Indica gives you that feeling....
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:15   #112
Team-BHP Support

Cute Beast

Its the beast with a cute side..

[img=http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8215/sleeprs4.th.jpg]

PS:
I did not bother to hide the number plates, cos the Innova is Temp and the Safari aint doing anything naughty.
Mods is it Ok?
I can change the pic if required

Last edited by bblost : 2nd November 2007 at 16:16. Reason: pic url corrected
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its the beast with a cute side..

[img=http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8215/sleeprs4.th.jpg]

PS:
I did not bother to hide the number plates, cos the Innova is Temp and the Safari aint doing anything naughty.
Mods is it Ok?
I can change the pic if required
what are you trying to say here ?
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:38   #114
Team-BHP Support

>what are you trying to say here ?

Its about the the picture, I have uploaded.
taken in my apartment parking lot, found these kittens with their mummy sleeping on the bullbar.

Just found it very cute, with the beast having the kittens in its arms.

The PS part is because of a rule that number plates should be hidden, unless there is a explicit approval from the owner.

Direct URL
ImageShack - Hosting :: sleeprs4.jpg
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:17   #115
BHPian

Friends......I am pretty disappointed with TATAs not offerring 4WD in the LX version...this is over shooting my budget as this costs over 10L. Would any of you know when the scorpio eagle would be launched & does M&M ever think of a spacey rear leg room???

News on eagle is deeply appreciated!!
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:20   #116
BHPian

[QUOTE I know 7.5 lacs is less as far as SUVs are concerned.. but atleast they can look at these basic things..[/quote]

7.5l is too much! In Brunei, XTrail 2.5l Automatic, Tucson 2.2l CRDi and all comes around 8lakhs when you convert to Rs from Brunei dollor. I tell you something, we are being robbed virtually! ;-)
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:31   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
7.5l is too much! In Brunei, XTrail 2.5l Automatic, Tucson 2.2l CRDi and all comes around 8lakhs when you convert to Rs from Brunei dollor. I tell you something, we are being robbed virtually! ;-)
Yes my dear for that money you can buy a Tucson here too. For the price I have paid for the Ex 4x4 I could buy a Mitsubishi Pajero or a Dodge Durango or a Hummer H3 or (now) a Toyota FJ Cruiser here.

One of my friends is selling his 2006 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel for about Dhs.70,000 (Rs.7.7 lakhs), too.

I am just about to go (in about 5 minutes) for a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 test drive with fellow-BHPian California Knight. It wont cost me much more than what I paid for my Safari back home, and will give me about 450 bhp and insane amounts of torque.

However, when I want a vehicle back in India would I sit back and say I could buy a Hummer in Dubai ? Nope. Thats not going to get me around, is it?

Would you stop eating in Bandar Seri Bagwan or will Dirty Dan stop washing his clothes in the US of A because its cheaper in India? Dont people still pay insane amounts to buy poorly built property in Mumbai when they could buy really good villas for the same amount here in Dubai (or wherever else they may be based)?

So lets stop this comparison with foreign cars, or lets start comparing EVERYTHING abroad. You will probably conclude that its cheaper to live in India, then.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:52   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
My dear sir, I do not wish to offend but I beg to differ with you.

I am a U.S. citizen and have spent most of my life there. I travelled extensively for my job logging over 1.9 million kilimeters in about 25 years. My vehicle at home is a Ford F350 heavy duty 4x4 pickup truck with a 6.4L 325 BHP twin turbo diesel 8 cylinder engine in it. It weighs almost twice what a Safari weighs and is much wider and much longer. The thing is, it handles infinitely better than the Safari. Also, in my younger days I was a test driver/engineering tech for Dana Spicer, one of the world's leading suppliers of drive train and four wheel drive components. So please, do not presume to tell me that the Safari is a SUV and not a 'this' or a 'that'. We who driven professionally and extensively know what it is. It handles poorly for an SUV or for anything else.
Flawed comparison dear. Absolutely.

Would it be good if I went on to compare Baleno handling with Mondeo handling without any considerations to price and segment? Or a Skoda Laura and BMW 3 series? I'm sure, even you wouldnt agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I've put many a kilometer on the company scorpio and the handling is not as scary as its portrayed.
Now that you have enough kilometres under belt for a Scorpio, why not try and drive a safari spiritedly on the same stretch?
It will be a eye opening for you. I'm sure.

in my case, in Scorpio, 140 on speedo = Mom, Dad screaming from back row demanding to slow down vehicle.

Same stretch, one month later, roughly same amount of traffic, 140 on speedo in Safari. Dad is happily attending calls in front seat and writing bits and pieces of info on his letterpad. Family is comfortably sleeping in back seat. No complains from anyone. Cousin trying to keep up in his scorpio till Delhi is scared as hell. Sweaty palms and his family isnt too happy at him also.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 2nd November 2007 at 19:59.
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:59   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Same stretch, one month later, roughly same amount of traffic, 140 on speedo in Safari. Dad is happily attending calls in front seat and writing bits and pieces of info on his letterpad. Family is comfortably sleeping in back seat. No complains from anyone. Cousin trying to keep up in his scorpio till Delhi is scared as hell. Sweaty palms and his family isnt too happy at him also.
Flawed comparison dear. Absolutely.
Family should be awake and watching. Many people are allergic to 140.
And cousin does not seem like a speed enthusiast. Which is what came as a dis-appointment to his family as well! I'm not surprised.
Old 2nd November 2007, 21:34   #120
BHPian

"6) Suitability for the crazy traffic conditions in the NCR (as in road presence factor - the "Don't mess with me" kind)
I true that. When i took the test drive i honked at the auto guy he looked back and the way he changed the lane to give me the way was like i was YAMRAJ and if he didn't gave me side he will be sitting on the hood of SAFARI and we will be flying to HELL"

Fully agree!

1. Going into a round about, a PTC (state transport corporation) bus actually stopped in his tracks to let me go by. Has never happened to me before (even though I had the right of way in the same position) when driving an Innova or a Scorpio.

2. A sedan driver lowered his glass and personally requested by signalling that he cross my line of takeoff when waiting for a 'U' turn. Had a similar experience with a 'share auto' (the daredevils on Chennai roads)!

Enough reason to buy a Safari apart from a host of others!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed