Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 15:18   #46
BHPian

What about ride quality? Is it as good as in the Bolero?

I'm looking at buying a Bolero SLE, but the Scorpio M2DI sounds like a no-nonsense vehicle. I drive an 800 now, so performance is not a big issue. So, in a nutshell, would this be a better option than the Bolero?
Old 9th January 2010, 16:21   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
What about ride quality? Is it as good as in the Bolero?

I'm looking at buying a Bolero SLE, but the Scorpio M2DI sounds like a no-nonsense vehicle. I drive an 800 now, so performance is not a big issue. So, in a nutshell, would this be a better option than the Bolero?
I only took a brief ride in an M2Di and the ride is definitely better than the Bolero as the M2Di has coil springs at the back and Bolero has leaf springs. M2DI also has more space inside than the Bolero. If you don't mind the increase in cost the Scorpio is far superior to the Bolero as a personal use vehicle. Even from the performance front, it has adequate pick up. Definitely not as fast as the mhawk or 2.6 CRDe scorpio but it has enough torque to meet day to day driving needs. My vote is to take the M2Di over the Bolero because the Scorpio is superior to Bolero in many aspects.
Old 9th January 2010, 18:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

even i would say, go for the scorpio if you plan to use it as your personal vehicle.

the M2Di has a better ride quality, more space & IMHO looks better. it is refined enough & has adequate performance. FE is good for a 2 ton SUV though not as good as a tavera.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Now this thread is being run from almost 3 years apart from sparing posts and a lot of compatrision between mHawk and M2DI scorpio. Now my question is--> Is this M2DI still available or still produced. Can anyone paste a pic of the M2DI scorpio(Raj_5004 can do this as he owns one) so it will be easy for people like me who have stated to see the cars recently
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Now my question is--> Is this M2DI still available or still produced. Can anyone paste a pic of the M2DI scorpio(Raj_5004 can do this as he owns one) so it will be easy for people like me who have stated to see the cars recently
yes, the M2Di is still available at a price of Rs. 666,400 in mumbai, you can check-
::::: MAHINDRA SCORPIO :::::

i have also attached the pics of my M2Di.
Attached Thumbnails
Details of Scorpio M2DI ?-081120091241.jpg  

Details of Scorpio M2DI ?-081120091242.jpg  

Details of Scorpio M2DI ?-081120091243.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 21:08   #51
~~h
BHPian

The diff in price between M2Di and LX is just 50 K, I think you should consider that the mHawk is worth the delta you are paying.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes, the M2Di is still available at a price of Rs. 666,400 in mumbai, you can check-
::::: MAHINDRA SCORPIO :::::

i have also attached the pics of my M2Di.
Raj,Thanks for the info and photo.
All, can anyone tell me what is the difference between LX or other scorpios and the "GETAWAY SCORPIO"
Old 8th February 2010, 17:08   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

M2Di is the Scorpio with a Bolero engine in it and no turbo charger.
It is aimed at the Taxi/People mover segment who are looking for a relatively less expensive, reliable vehicle and not necessarily looking for Power, Performance and other bells and whistles that the private buyer holds dear.

this vehicle is quite popular in the non metro areas and indeed you will have a problem registering it in metro areas because of the emission norms it conforms to.

Its not ideal for personal use because one will tend to be highly unhappy with the engine in comparison to the 2.2Mhawk.

Therefore I second Scorpio_fan's comment that you should go for the 2.2 Hawk LX version at a small price upcharge - well worth it believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
@Arun,
You should check whether you can get it registered in your city. Because of emission issues, I think it cannot be registered in metro.

Also the difference between LX and M2DI is approximately 50k, so I feel you should go for LX.

Innova is very comfortable and car like to drive and very easy on the effort needed to drive it.
However it is quite long and in a traffic congested city like Calcutta you may find the Scorpio's relatively compact proportions a good advantage.
The Scorpio's low end torque will see you through most issues in the city traffic scenario and its good on highways too.

M&M does not list the M2DI in the section "MEET THE SCORPIO" section, but available in the price list.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th February 2010 at 17:10.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

As shankar has explained, the LX is well worth the price difference. i am sure 50k wont matter much when you are buying a 8 lakh car. getaway is the pickup version of the scorpio with more length (no difference in the cabin) & leaf springs at the rear. it gets the older scorpio's CRDe engine.
Old 15th March 2010, 00:08   #55
BHPian

Hi guys, the dealer at Siliguri (west bengal) here was offering me Rs. 40,000 off on the M2DI engined scorpio mid last year.

Also i read that this engine, the M2DI is BSII so why is it still available in metros like mumbai today?

and my final question, what will happen to this scorpio (with the M2DI engine) once BSIV hits metros and BSIII hits all other cities after April 1?
Old 15th March 2010, 10:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

hi buddy, the scorpio M2Di is NOT available in metros.

after BSIV comes, this M2Di will either be upgraded to BSIII or worst case, discontinued.
Old 15th March 2010, 11:49   #57
BHPian

Hi" raj 5004", thank you for the information. I see that you actually own a M2DI. Can you give me some information on how it is to drive please. I am considering a bolero but now i am confused as to whether or not i should go for this scorpio with the M2DI engine. I live in Siliguri and make frequent visits to the hills of Darjeeling for work. The roads are quite terrible around here and the hilly roads are quite steep. Yesterday we had gone up to Darjeeling in a Ford Fusion and with 3 people in it the vehicle was mostly using 2nd gear and sometimes using 1st gear around bends. So i think from this you get an idea of the steepness of the roads here. I checked the figures for the Fusion and found the following: weight 1180kgs, power 68 BHP, torque 16 kgm.

My main concern is the lack of BHP and the 1800+kg weight of the scorpio. The Bolero with the same engine weighs 200-300 kgs less.

Any info would be of great help thank you all :-)
Old 15th March 2010, 14:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

as i advise everybody, i would suggest you to go for the scorpio LX with the fantastic mHawk engine.

as you can see from here, the price difference between the M2Di & the scorpio LX is just 40,000. for that amount, you get a much more powerful engine which will take the ghats you mentioned in 2nd gear easily. also, you get more creature comforts as in power windows which is absent in the M2Di.

the scorpio will take rough roads & abuse easily.

well, coming to your question, between the bolero & scorpio M2Di, i would opt for the bolero. simply because the bolero is comparatively trouble free & also because if at all i go for a scorpio, it would be the LX.

yes, the scorpio is definitely more refined than the bolero & has a better ride comfort & has more space as well.

now you have to select one based on your priorities!

Most Viewed