Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2008, 07:32   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Doesn't anyone think that the new Corolla looks a lot like the existing gen? I am a car guy, and I did have to look twice to see the difference. To me, it only looked like a face lift.

Actually, Toyota is made up of a pretty self-contradictory bunch of managers. They complain that the average Toyota buyers age is shooting higher and higher......and then, they launch a new car which would only appeal to my Grandfather.
I think its little premature to pass a verdict on a car and the company much before the car is launched in India. Once the car is launched, only then will you be able to judge how good or bad the new one is

Its also not right to compare the Corolla here with the one in the US for two simple reasons
a) the version in the US is significantly different from the one in SE Asia (including the engine)
b) the Corolla is an Economy car in India. Its a 'small car' there. Even when I dove the Corolla there after having driven the Accord, Focus, Impala and the Grand Prix, I found the Corolla grossly plain and underpowered. So when your sample set is bigger more powerful cars, its never a fair comparison
Old 27th April 2008, 08:29   #167
Senior - BHPian

Looking at just the interior, the Corolla doesnt look half as good as the Civic. Its just too boring.
Old 27th April 2008, 12:53   #168
Senior - BHPian

I don't expect significant 'interesting' changes to Indian models.
Based on the versions I have seen in US vs India, you might only get some minor frills added without changing the dash/steering, etc.
Typical changes are
1. Alloys
2. Upholstery/Leather
3. some basic cosmetics and frills
Old 27th April 2008, 13:19   #169
BANNED

im wondering if civic sales will take a little dent after this car comes in. i hope civic gets a good discount rather than free insurance. whats this new civic thing i hear in july ?
Old 27th April 2008, 18:30   #170
BHPian

The interiors are completely disappointing as compared to Civic. I dont think that it would affect the sales of Civic but SX4 might have to run an extra mile.
Old 27th April 2008, 20:08   #171
BANNED

If we look at the Civic interiors, even the Camry doesn't have such a great interior to boast. So, I don't think that's not were Toyota is paying much attention on.

What about all those problems the current one has? All solved or not? I will be looking at those details if I was in the market to buy one Toyota in that price range. Believe me! There're many nuts like me who just looks out for Toyotas when buying a car. If there're some problems in that certain Toyota, then we will wait till those are solved and will be happy with some other car till then.
Old 27th April 2008, 20:42   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
What about all those problems the current one has? All solved or not? I will be looking at those details if I was in the market to buy one Toyota in that price range. Believe me! There're many nuts like me who just looks out for Toyotas when buying a car. If there're some problems in that certain Toyota, then we will wait till those are solved and will be happy with some other car till then.
What problems? are there any known (serious) issues abt the current toyota(other than looks, low VFM) which puts you off from buying ?
Old 27th April 2008, 21:06   #173
BANNED

There was never a serious issue in the current Corolla (as with all other Toyotas).
By the current problems, I meant was the complaints many had about the car. Like flimsy build quality (though, it never failed from it's job), very bland design, a bit of bling bling missing, uncomfortable ride in certain conditions, not so good interior trim etc.. to name a few which just sprang out in my mind (I'm a person who finds no fault in any Toyota).
Old 28th April 2008, 16:30   #174
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think its little premature to pass a verdict on a car and the company much before the car is launched in India. Once the car is launched, only then will you be able to judge how good or bad the new one is
It may be an F430 under the skin, but I am only talking about the looks. Compared to the super hot Civic, the new Corolla looks like a plain-jane toaster.
Old 28th April 2008, 16:49   #175
BHPian

Anyways even the current Gen- Corolla is no stunner when compared to the Civic(and this i am only talking in terms of looks), but is certainly a good designed car in its own right. And the same holds true with the new look/ Gen Corolla. Afterall no two cars are compared just on the basis of looks, right??
Old 28th April 2008, 17:30   #176
BHPian

Back of the car looks like "damaged" and not designed! How are they going to compete with the Civic!! No way! But may be reliability and pricing will help them to do better! Honda will anyway up the game!
Old 28th April 2008, 18:41   #177
BHPian

If the new Corolla looks anything like what ACI reports in the May 08 issue, it won't make any difference to the existing situation. Those who buy Civic due to it's modern looks, will continue to do so. And with such a face lift, I also don't see how Toyota will justify a price increase (which the dealers have been talking about) unless they come out with a host of new features.

From what I've heard, there is no engine change happening. And they will soon have additional competition from the VW Jetta diesel.

Having said that, I hear that the Corolla is taking away some sales from the Octavia Ambiente due to the huge discounts being offered on it. Skoda has reacted by offering discounts on the Ambiente.
Old 28th April 2008, 19:24   #178
BHPian

I have seen the new Corolla here in Europe, it looks quite good in flesh,much better than the current generation

it looked like a squeezed camry, (same as NHC, as it looks like a squeezed Civic)

But no way near to the civic interior.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks