Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2008, 21:18   #121
BHPian

while both cars have 170mm GC, the problem with the Civic is its longer wheelbase i.e.the front and rear wheels are further apart compared to any other car. This results in it hitting the roadhumps more than any other car.
The other reason is also that its rear suspension is much softer than other cars so it bottoms out when loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
You should have checked the car specs for GC. Both cars have a GC of 170mm so speedbreaker would be as much an issue in corolla as in the civic.
Old 30th March 2008, 23:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
So what was the final OTR price for this model?
Approx 12 on the road
Old 31st March 2008, 00:01   #123
BHPian

The sales guys in Nippon Toyota Kochi is telling that the new corolla will be priced above Civic in the range of 15 lakhs.Any inside news regarding the pricing???The maximum discount they offer is about 70k(road taxfor H5) + mat,uv coating etc..
Old 31st March 2008, 09:04   #124
BHPian

I had a close look at the Corolla which is launched here in Brunei. Personally I do not like the front grill but better looking face than the Vios. Felt the size is a bit smaller than the older corolla (or it may be just me). side and rear view is good though. The interior is the best part for a Toyota! Console looks more modern but nowhere near Civic. Pricewise there are not much difference between the new and the old.

For pics please check this out : TOYOTA Corolla

Last edited by sgmuser : 31st March 2008 at 09:06.
Old 31st March 2008, 10:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
The sales guys in Nippon Toyota Kochi is telling that the new corolla will be priced above Civic in the range of 15 lakhs.Any inside news regarding the pricing???The maximum discount they offer is about 70k(road taxfor H5) + mat,uv coating etc..

Unlikely. Corrolla & Civic are competitors worldwide and priced in the same bracket. He might be saying that just to clear his current stocks.
Old 31st March 2008, 10:54   #126
Senior - BHPian

15 lakhs for new Corolla?. Highly unlikely. On the other hand, Toyota is known to not sell cars at losses to gain share. Refer Camry price.

15 lakhs seems rich. Perhaps for a top spec car. I would expect a price inflation of around 10%.
Old 31st March 2008, 19:55   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
The sales guys in Nippon Toyota Kochi is telling that the new corolla will be priced above Civic in the range of 15 lakhs.
First of all, you are lucky At least the Toyota dealer acknowledges that a new Corolla is on the way .
Did he mention when is the new Corolla expected?
As for the price range, the common theme I heard from Toyota dealers is that all new generations lead to a price increase. The example quoted is Qualis to Innova (not exactly a generation change) and the one with the old and new Camry. I think its done more to convince people that the current deal is too good to let go and that you'll have to shell out a lot more money to get the new Corolla.

Looking at all the South Asia launches of the new Corolla, I'd be surprised if the new Corolla has as many variants as the current one. They probably wont have more than 2 for manual and 2 for the automatic (quite like the Civic).

It will also be surprising if they price it in the 15L price range. With the Civic selling like hot cake and only cosmetic changes in the new Corolla; Toyota would be naive in thinking that they will be able to compete with the civic with that pricing

BTW, rumour also has it that a diesel variant of the Corolla may also be launched. That battle will be interesting to see; Skoda Laura vs. Toyota Corolla Diesel cheers:

I almost bought myself a H5, but decided to cancel at the last moment. I wanted to keep the car for over 5 years, so I've decided to wait the extra 6 months
Old 4th April 2008, 16:30   #128
Senior - BHPian

Read the Wall Street Journal's review of the new Corolla!

The Driver's Seat - WSJ.com
Old 4th April 2008, 17:10   #129
BHPian

I agree with the review - design is good but just inches away from being a cult design -

The lights (both front and rear) are very similar to the Civic (new version)

RD
Old 24th April 2008, 01:23   #130
BHPian

Just visited the AutocarIndia website. I am getting my May issue tomorrow. Looks like the new Corolla is finally going to arrive soon:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Old 24th April 2008, 08:41   #131
Senior - BHPian

I am driving the 2009 Corolla now in US and i am extremely unimpressed with it. The dash is boring, the car looks & feels smaller than the one we have in in India and performance is ordinary. If they bring it in India it will not have a half chance against Civic!

But its not an entry level car like US, so probably they will give it more upmarket look (at least interiors) when they launch it here in August.
Old 24th April 2008, 08:45   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I am driving the 2009 Corolla now in US and i am extremely unimpressed with it. The dash is boring, the car looks & feels smaller than the one we have in in India and performance is ordinary. If they bring it in India it will not have a half chance against Civic!

But its not an entry level car like US, so probably they will give it more upmarket look (at least interiors) when they launch it here in August.
Thanks for the update. Mind uploading some pics of the Corolla you driving?
Old 24th April 2008, 13:37   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Very unlikely, if you ask me. I've never seen a car that was made to look and feel better in India, compared to its US counterpart.

I thought the Civic was once exception, but I was wrong. They released the new Civic in the US too, a little before they did in India. I had travelled in the old gen Civic in 2004, which was not as good-looking as the next gen Civic, and hence my mistaken impression that this was one exception.
Old 24th April 2008, 17:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Thanks for the update. Mind uploading some pics of the Corolla you driving?
Sure. The pics were already available in this thread - thats why i didn't upload them. however, will take some snaps & upload them by tomorrow morning IST.
Old 24th April 2008, 17:28   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinchawla View Post
Just visited the AutocarIndia website. I am getting my May issue tomorrow. Looks like the new Corolla is finally going to arrive soon:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Fotunately the person who delivers my morning newspaper delivered the magazine as well today in the morning

Here's my take on the article I read. Its their assessment in summary
a) Not as exciting looking as the Civic. Design is still conservative and unexciting, specially at the back
b) Build quality is superior compared to the current Corolla. Autocar has this phrase they use for the current Corolla..."Built to a price". They've officially removed that badge from the new one
c) Ride quality is better than the current Corolla and the current Civic
d) The car gives the feel of a big car, which according to them is lacking in the current Corolla (I disagree though, the current Corolla also seems very spacious)
e) It is lower than the current model butnot as low as the Civic
f) Steering control is better than the current Corolla. The new Corolla comes with EPS for the first time.
g) Automatic will still be superior in the Civic

Net net, in their review, they believe that the new Corolla addresses a lot of issuse that the current one has and is a very good and practical car. It is still not an object of desire like the current Civic though

Personally, I like practical so I am waiting.

Most Viewed