Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 20:40   #16
BHPian

The 2009 Corolla doesn't have a look similar to Verna, but its body shape looked like that of Honda City, and also low ground clearance. Thankfully this won't be the New Corolla that would be coming to India later in 2008.

And oh yeah, the current look of the Indian Corolla is much better than the Japanese version of the Corolla posted earlier.

cya
A
Old 1st November 2007, 20:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is the car that was revealed yesterday for the north american markets.
Old 1st November 2007, 20:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Seems like its got 70% of its inspiration from the Toyota Yaris. A few lines from the older style of Corolla too. The curves towards the boot seem more like the new Civic.
Old 1st November 2007, 22:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post

This is the car that was revealed yesterday for the north american markets.

dude.. this is a souped up version for the SEMA show.. and not the regular USDM corolla.
Old 1st November 2007, 22:06   #20
BHPian

the shape of the new Corolla is similar to Civic....will this model be launched in india in 2008???
Old 1st November 2007, 22:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Seems like its got 70% of its inspiration from the Toyota Yaris. A few lines from the older style of Corolla too. The curves towards the boot seem more like the new Civic.
well to me it looks like its got 90 % inspiration from the CAMRY
and i love the way it looks in the blue pic posted by RAHUL_INTLAD

in fact the way it looks in the last pic in blue color with those silver grills i think it can beat the civic
ofcouse instead of blue you can choose some sober colours aswell but i liked the combo of the silver grills i think they should launch this in india

Last edited by AMATMO : 1st November 2007 at 22:12.
Old 1st November 2007, 22:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Not good. Looks like streched Verna grill wil the headlights of Getz Prime. Not a typical Japanese design.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Although Corolla may not look as good as the Civic, but then Toyota's USP was never making good-looking cars. Inspite of its `plain Jane looks', the present `outdated, obsolete' old Corolla still outsells the new Civic in the US (no Corolla vs Civic wars here) In fact, it is the largest selling `small' car in the US (a segment that also includes the Civic)
There are other factors at work here. Lets not get into a debate as to why the Corolla outsells the Civic and the Camry outsells the Accord. The answers can be found in another thread I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
why isn't toyota taking an effort?? can't believe they call honda designs boring in UK.
Honda was much maligned for its downmarket designs until the Civic arrived and now the Accord (2008).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The Standard, LE and XLE models will be equipped with 1.8 L DOHC four-cylinder engine with Dual VVT-i producing 132 hp at 6,000 rpm and 128 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm. I think this is the model that may make it to India in late-2008.
Those numbers dont seem too great if they are the US versions.. We can assume a further drop in the numbers when they hit India. Will it be less powerful that the current Corolla (125 bhp) Must be a very frugual engine!

All said and done I dont think that pictures ever do justice to a car. We have to see it in person (??) before we can actually gauge its beauty!
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Honda was much maligned for its downmarket designs until the Civic arrived and now the Accord (2008).
Who maligned Honda?. Young enthusiasts who have no intention of buying and are arm chair critics. For people with money in their pockets, both Civic and Accord are best sellers.
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Those numbers dont seem too great if they are the US versions.. We can assume a further drop in the numbers when they hit India. Will it be less powerful that the current Corolla (125 bhp) Must be a very frugual engine!
My opinion is that the engine and power on basic version should be the same in US and India, except for the XRS sporty version which has a higher power. But even in the present generation Corolla in the US, I think they are no longer selling the XRS sporty version.

As regards FE, Toyota claims that the new car gives preliminary EPA FE figure of 27/35 mpg. The present Corolla gives revised EPA FE of 26/35 mpg for auto, and 28/37 mpg for manual. Can't say much from these figures about the FE advantage or otherwise of the new Corolla.
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
the US new version toyota could be called "new and fresh" if it was 1997. and the japanese version (toyota axio) isnt that great either. it just looks like an improvization of the US version.

why isn't toyota taking an effort?? can't believe they call honda designs boring in UK.
Well, a lot of people who buy these toyotas and hondas aren't exactly aspiring for Veyrons and Enzo's like members of T-BHP. So what you feel boring is considered 'conservative' and 'tastefully designed' by many of the buyers.
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:55   #27

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Well, a lot of people who buy these toyotas and hondas aren't exactly aspiring for Veyrons and Enzo's like members of T-BHP. So what you feel boring is considered 'conservative' and 'tastefully designed' by many of the buyers.
very well said.these cars are designed to be hassle free,bulletproof commuters from point 'a' to point 'b'.these are not meant to excite and are designed to deliver what an automobile is supposed to.
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Compare the new corolla with this and the corolla looks dated even before its released.

Old 3rd November 2007, 00:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

The 2008 lancer is a big jump,in terms of design. The previous style was way too simple,and not at all eye-catching.Throw in some really nice design work,sharpen the headlights & viola!! You've got a stunner. The new Corolla looks like any other ordinary looking car.Guess its time for the Mitsubishi design engineers to move over to the Toyota design room!
Old 4th November 2007, 19:50   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking about LOOKS & PERFORMANCE , well i feel the COROLLA XRS (2008) would be a good competetion to the EVO-X , check it out ;

Most Viewed