Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2008, 19:30   #106
BHPian

I just bought an H3 - the last one apparently - they stopped making it - this was '08
I got about 79k straight and another 10 k accessories
I also mulled between the two and found that given the kind of roads in Chennai - where I will be for at least 2 years - it made sense to go for the Corolla
3 reasons -
It was 1.8 lacs cheaper
It has a better height - translates to better view of your car - better ingress - less speedbreaker issues
I felt more comfortable sitting in a Corolla than in a Civic - the Civic would be a great car to drive in the US - but for drivability in India - I just found Corolla better
Old 14th March 2008, 06:49   #107
BHPian

The new Corolla is being launched in Malaysia today. This is probably what the Corolla in India would look like.
The site will take some time to open up, but its worth the wait. Its quite a detailed description of the new Corolla
Toyota Models | Altis - Main

I suspect that the variants may change in India, but the look will not.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:31   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinchawla View Post
The new Corolla is being launched in Malaysia today. This is probably what the Corolla in India would look like.
The site will take some time to open up, but its worth the wait. Its quite a detailed description of the new Corolla
Toyota Models | Altis - Main

I suspect that the variants may change in India, but the look will not.
Thanks for the link. In G series they have added what is like H matic- giving people option to manually control gears in sporty mode which is very desirable but its just 4 speed AT and paddle shifter should have been great.

Nice addition is 8 way power adjustable driver seat. There is just slight increase in max power, there is no mention of ground clearance but I guess it will be similar to current model.

Personally, I dont find it a very exciting changeover from the current model unless there are no upward revision in the prices over current model.
Any idea when are they planning to launch it in India. Anyone has any idea on the prices in Malaysia- that is whether they have launched Altis at old prices or higher prices?
Old 14th March 2008, 12:48   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
It has a better height - translates to better view of your car - better ingress - less speedbreaker issues
You should have checked the car specs for GC. Both cars have a GC of 170mm so speedbreaker would be as much an issue in corolla as in the civic.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:52   #110
BHPian

Expensive in Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Any idea when are they planning to launch it in India. Anyone has any idea on the prices in Malaysia- that is whether they have launched Altis at old prices or higher prices?
The website also has a link which mentions the price of all the models. The Corolla is a mighty expensive car in Malaysia. I tried to do a currency conversion and the cheapest one was almost 14 lakhs INR. But, then I did a comparison with the Honda Civic in Malaysia, which was even more expensive.
Cant say if that is indicative though for India. Who knows that Honda may be paying more duty in Malaysia for the Civic just as Toyota is paying in India for the Camry.
As you suggested, it will indeed be a good comparison if we can know the price of the old Corolla vs. this one.
There's no official word on when it will be launched in India. The most consistent date I've heard is August. BUt there was a comment on this thread earlier which mentioned May. Given the sort of benefits Toyota is offering on the current corolla (80K off and a chance to win Plasma TVs for 1 in 3 buyers, plus low EMIs), chances are they want to finish their inventory and launch the new one ASAP, at least I hope so
Old 14th March 2008, 15:13   #111
Senior - BHPian

No one outside Toyota would perhaps claim with accuracy when the new Corolla will be launched. Wait for a Toyota announcement or a sharp decline in production numbers. I would think that they would at least try to capitalise on traditionally high March sales, and then perhaps gear up for the new one (around June-Aug.?).

I also wanted to buy the new one (when launched in 10/2006). But when I got around to buying in 2/07, I found out that the new one was more than a year away, and so settled for the present one. Seems like that info was correct.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:15   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
I just bought an H3 - the last one apparently - they stopped making it - this was '08
I got about 79k straight and another 10 k accessories
I also mulled between the two and found that given the kind of roads in Chennai - where I will be for at least 2 years - it made sense to go for the Corolla
3 reasons -
It was 1.8 lacs cheaper
I felt more comfortable sitting in a Corolla than in a Civic - the Civic would be a great car to drive in the US - but for drivability in India - I just found Corolla better

So what was the final OTR price for this model?
Old 17th March 2008, 16:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

The new Corolla has now been tested for safety and has achieved IIHS' `G' rating, which is the highest. For those not aware, IIHS is reputed to have the toughest testing standards and their testing parameters exceed NHTSA and NCAP. The test results are here:

IIHS-HLDI: Toyota Corolla

For info, Civic has the same rating.

IIHS-HLDI: Honda Civic

In addition to the IIHS, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration a branch of the Transportation Department, also conducts crash tests and other safety evaluations. These organizations each conduct front- and side-impact crash tests using different methodologies. Of the two, IIHS challenges vehicle designs more.

The IIHS front-crash test simulates what would happen if two cars of the same weight and type crashed head-on, left headlight to left headlight. In contrast to the NHTSA test, the impact speed is 40 mph instead of 35 mph, the barrier is deformable rather than rigid, and only the left front of the car hits the barrier. This is a more severe test than NHTSA's because the speed is higher and the crash energy is concentrated on a smaller area. An instrument-equipped crash dummy in the driver's seat records forces to the head and neck, chest, legs, and feet. Vehicles are rated as Good or G, Acceptable or A, Marginal or M, or Poor or P based on what happens to vehicle structure, as well as forces on the dummies.

The IIHS side-impact test is more sophisticated and also more severe than NHTSA's. The test uses a heavier striking barrier (3,300 pounds), compared with NHTSA's (3,015 pounds). Further, the IIHS barrier strikes higher up on the tested vehicle to simulate a car being hit on the side at 90 degrees by a typical-height SUV or truck. The IIHS bases its scores on head, neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis and leg injury rather than just chest injury, as NHTSA does.

The two dummies in the IIHS side-crash test represent a small adult female or a 12-year-old adolescent. One is the driver, the other a left-rear passenger. Other crash tests performed by NHTSA and the IIHS use a dummy that simulates an average-sized adult male.

The huge difference between G and A can be seen very clearly in IIHS crash test videos which show the damage done to the vehicle and learn about the potential injuries. These are hosted by Consumer Reports and Business Week:

ConsumerReports.org - Car crash test

Of course, safety ratings matter for nothing in case of rash driving and excessive speeds.

Last edited by vasudeva : 17th March 2008 at 16:03.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:27   #114
BHPian

10th Generation Review

Found this review of the 10th Generation Corolla and found it quite good. They've compared the dimensions with the old Corolla and also with the current Civic
New Corolla Altis, 10th Generation - Part I CAR CRAZY
Old 18th March 2008, 18:25   #115

i have seen the car in person and looks pretty good if you ask me.
you can get it with navigation etc. a friend of mine is thinking about picking it up.
Old 19th March 2008, 00:03   #116
BHPian

Which country did you see the car in? The one in US and Canada is quite different from the one available in South Asia?
Old 19th March 2008, 22:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

Sorry. Bit off topic: Any news about facelifted Innova?
Also I heard that they stopped th 7 seaters totally. Is that true?
Old 19th March 2008, 23:06   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Also I heard that they stopped th 7 seaters totally. Is that true?
That's not true; last I heard, in Bangalore, a private vehicle registration is allowed only with 7 seaters. 8 seaters can only be taxis.
Old 21st March 2008, 01:05   #119
BHPian

The best review I have read so far about the new Corolla
MALAYSIAN MOTOR TRADER NEWS - LOCAL NEWS - Toyota Corolla Altis Generation 10

Some more contradicting news
a) Economic times (March 20th) stated that the new Corolla will launch in September 2008 in the price range of 9-14 lakhs and engine variants 1.8 to 2,4

b) On the same day, a Toyota dealer told me that the launch is not going to happen till Jan '09 and variants will be 1.6 and 1.8, with the 1.8 competing with the cars in the higher segment
Old 22nd March 2008, 18:35   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinchawla View Post
The best review I have read so far about the new Corolla
MALAYSIAN MOTOR TRADER NEWS - LOCAL NEWS - Toyota Corolla Altis Generation 10

Some more contradicting news
a) Economic times (March 20th) stated that the new Corolla will launch in September 2008 in the price range of 9-14 lakhs and engine variants 1.8 to 2,4

b) On the same day, a Toyota dealer told me that the launch is not going to happen till Jan '09 and variants will be 1.6 and 1.8, with the 1.8 competing with the cars in the higher segment
Dealers don't tell the truth in this regard. Either they don't know or they lie - as they have to! :-)

Most Viewed