Team-BHP - 3.5lacs : Gypsy / Bolero / Safari?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   3.5lacs : Gypsy / Bolero / Safari? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/30783-3-5lacs-gypsy-bolero-safari.html)

Hi,
Just wanted an open minded advice.
what would be the best option from the Gypsy King (may be a 2006 one) , Bolero (2005 one) , Safari (2004 one) for 3.5 lacs.

I do understand Gypsy would not be comfy, and expensive. But its quite smooth and can go anywhere, plus with little mods (filter/exhaust etc) , it can go fast too!

I do understand the Bolero is the slowest but then its frugal, a/c is good and the jeep can take a lot of abuse

I do understand a 2004 Safari would have gone thru a lot. The usual lil niggles, but then the safari will be comfy and its big.

What would ur advice be on the above three vehicles ?

Old Safaris are underpowered and a strict NO

dunno much abt Bolero cos never kept one

buy a zypsy in gud condition(1.5-2 Lakhs) and spend rest of money to make it go fast and confortable.

I chose the Gypsy on the assumption that you are not too worried about FE:D and that you'd be doing more of solo mountaineering in it

I choose the Gypsy King for the modding capabilities. Buy One for about 2.0 - 2.5 Lacs and then spend the remaining for making it a comfortable ride over any terrain.

-Harshavardhan

my dad owned the first version 1.0 for 4yrs, sold it at 98000km. and it took 8 of us to shimla during the record dec 1989 snow. im so much inclined towards the gypsy.
neways, im ready to 'bear' the harsh ride. but with 235 tyres, tubeless, running slightly less air pressure, how good does the ride become? bearable ? (please say yes!!)
our 1.0 used to return around 9kmpl, how much does the 1.3 L MPFI return?
Our 1.0 used to do around 110max, how much does the 1.3L MPFI do?

my heart says gypsy, my mind is confused between bolero/safari

ps: the purchase wont take place for another 2 months or so, so that means i have ample time in my hands to look out for a good less used car (gypsy..? ok, bolero and safari too!)

PPS : OMG, what a slide - YouTube - Jaideep in Action

PPPS: Drawbacks of the hard suspension! - YouTube - Rallying a Maruti gypsie
Same place : This gypsy managed it - YouTube - RALLY DESERT STORM ACTION 2

Bunny, i would always prefer a Bolero. Safari is just out of the question. Gypsy is gud, but would't give me the comfort of a bolero, plus the gypsy runs on petrol. The plus points of the bolero is that it runs on diesel, has good a/c, power steering, power window...cheaper to maintain, and its a very solid vehicle which can take quite a bit of abuse....

I would pick the Gypsy, if you wanna off roads, its the best of the other options in here. Quite good off road.

Is Bolero not as good as Gypsy in off roading?

Drove the Bolero DI a lot in Pune.. the issue is that findin a 4*4 second hand wud be next to impossible. and also the heavy weight of the car is a big hinderance while offroading..

You are an enthusiast; thus the Gypsy would be the best buy from the list. It will also require the least upkeep from the list. As long as your monthly running is not in the range of 1500 - 2000 kms, go ahead with the Gypsy King.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyPunia (Post 613631)
my dad owned the first version 1.0 for 4yrs, sold it at 98000km. and it took 8 of us to shimla during the record dec 1989 snow. im so much inclined towards the gypsy.
neways, im ready to 'bear' the harsh ride. but with 235 tyres, tubeless, running slightly less air pressure, how good does the ride become? bearable ? (please say yes!!)
our 1.0 used to return around 9kmpl, how much does the 1.3 L MPFI return?
Our 1.0 used to do around 110max, how much does the 1.3L MPFI do?

my heart says gypsy,

YES! Please see the bold print.
Everything points toward a Gypsy. Buying a car is not fully a 'rational' decision - there HAS to be involvement of the heart to a large extent.
As one who owned a Gypsy 1000 for nearly 8 years and travelled freely in the mountains (with family), all I can say is: go right ahead and get one. A most satisfying ownership experience. Complete freedom to simply go wherever there is a track.
Do not try to fit 235 tyres, stay with 215 max. (215/65R15)
While the old Gypsy used to be screaming at 80 kmph (4000 rpm) the king will do a lot better on the highways. It has 5 gears (old one had 4) and 80 bhp (old was 45 bhp).
You ought to get mileage of 11 if the old one gave you 9 kmpl.
All the best.

I would go for the safari. Its big, and can double as a family car.

The gypsy can go anywhere, but do you really take it off roading that often? The safari on theother hand can be a nice highway car and can do nicely in the city with upto 5 people which the gypsy cant. I would go for the safari.

yuppy :)
we owned the old Gypsy 1.0, it took us to our farm in sampla (outside delhi) in rains with the 4*4, it took us to shimla in the record 1989 snow fall (4 adults, 4 children). i still have faint memories of how we were the only people to be able to drive into shimla (without snow chains!). my dad still tells me that when he sold the gypsy at around the 96000km mark, all the car went thru were the usual services. ntn else!
The only changes the gypsy had seen were - change over to MRF Zigma, and the exhaust was changed once (broke while offroading in sampla..)

The bolero is good on bad roads (which is also offroading), but i guess the gypsy is more attractive here. I would still prefer a bolero for the comfortable ride & great AC. Stay away from an old safari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by govigov (Post 614385)
but do you really take it off roading that often?

Very interesting 'thought' I'd like to present to you.
Off roading is not the word. It is the very very simple ability to 'travel where you please'. I did not 'plan' any 'off-roading' - I am NOT into off-roading. BUT, I AM an acute lover of the mountains and always travelled with my family. The Gypsy allowed me that freedom like nothing else can! I currently use a Scorpio 4WD. It is plain to me that I am NOT where I was with my Gypsy.
That is MHO.