Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 12:48   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Did you actually watch that video yourself ? It is an ad from Hyundai.

It is like saying that Suzuki SX4 has better ground clearance than a Porsche and is cheaper, hence it is a better car.
I know and i'm not saying that it is better
But they can make ads like this without any issues?
Old 29th December 2007, 16:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
and cut the crap of camparing it with LC and montero its foolish you talk of mature car markets like dubai,US etc with india is totally your ignorance
Expressing an opinion about 3 vehicles one have driven around isnt what one might call crap. Talking about vehicles one hasnt experienced might be.

The Indian market is a very different place. The volumes in that price bracket are not significant enough for companies to position their vehicles differently just to get the odd dozen sales. People here pay significantly higher amounts for a Prado (not an LC - there is a diff) than they do for a Pajero (Montero) though they are both in the same segment.

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th December 2007 at 17:05.
Old 29th December 2007, 17:18   #63
BHPian

When will this volumes argument end, it doesn't make sense.

A. Because if the CRV for instance was priced at $50000 dollars as it is in India believe me it won't have much of a market in the US, its only because its priced at $20000 that it sells in numbers in the US as it would in India if priced similarly, so if anything its the other way around.

B. There are many markets worldwide where again for instance CRV sells at equivalent to US prices even though it will not have the same volumes.

Why do fellow Indians find it so difficulty to accept that we are being had? I know for some of us prices are relative to income so lakhs may not make not make much of a difference but there is a context in the Indian marketplace, the salaries of professionals are limited and fractions less than in other countries (This in turn puts a lot more purchasing power in the hands of businesses which our car makers seem to be content to target with inflated prices) and yet the prices are double or more of what developed countries pay which clearly indicates something is off.

If the CRV or any other car for that instance was priced as it is in the US believe me Honda would have a lot of volumes. But marketers here continue the cream strategy targeting business people and limiting volumes as a consequence.

Taxes exist in all countries so the Indian tax argument doesn't account for this large increase, marketing, labour costs & general business costs are multiples, we are talking 10 times plus in the US, of what are in India yet they can profitably sell these vehicles at less than half the prices. So whats the truth here.

Last edited by raul : 29th December 2007 at 17:22.
Old 29th December 2007, 18:13   #64
BHPian

its easier to sell 1 crv and make the profit of selling 10 crvs?
Old 29th December 2007, 18:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Expressing an opinion about 3 vehicles one have driven around isnt what one might call crap. Talking about vehicles one hasnt experienced might be.

The Indian market is a very different place. The volumes in that price bracket are not significant enough for companies to position their vehicles differently just to get the odd dozen sales. People here pay significantly higher amounts for a Prado (not an LC - there is a diff) than they do for a Pajero (Montero) though they are both in the same segment.
fine, crap is rather arrogant
but it certainly makes no sence considering this
i already mention examples which make no pratical sence
and i also said anything above 15 lac is not seen as a VFM like i said earlier

also the pajero is available for as much as 18 lacs brand new(the old generation)

the (also known as pajero) montero and the prado come for about 35 lacs,both of them

and D segment cars are not sold in dozens,they are sold in few hundreds in a year
if the car is chosen wrong they they might not be able to sell more than 10 in a year
the reaon you feel a few dozens are sold because you look at failures like mondeo,vectra,superb etc

but if you see camry,acccord,CRV endeavour laura
you will see them selling decent numbers
agreed these numbers are not high

but if a carmaker is spending a lot on homologation cahrges them they need a car that will atleast sell sustainable numbers

agreed sante fe is a good SUV with good features but that might not help it selling numbers
lets face it hyundai sonata is facing the same prolem when it ca beat accord in many ways and it is also a powerfull competitor for the accord in in the US

if a car like sonata embera can have trouble selling how can we expect sante fe to sell good at a price tag ranging from 20-25 lacs

highly unreasonable expectaion
Old 5th January 2008, 01:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

We are using Santa Fe .......all I can say is....it's not a great SUV(toy!!!)

Can post some pic if u need....
Old 5th January 2008, 01:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We are using Santa Fe .......all I can say is....it's not a great SUV(toy!!!)

Can post some pic if u need....
The Santa Fe comes with its own set of problems. If the one you have is of the earlier style (probably '06 and earlier),then there are numerous issues that have been faced.
Do post some pics.. Absolutely no harm including pics here in this discussion.
Old 5th January 2008, 02:06   #68
BHPian

I was over at the rav4world forums sometime ago where lots of posters considering RAV4 were also looking at the Santa FE and some even opted for Sante FE. Some posters find it delivers more value for the price and is slightly bigger than RAV4, only when it comes to handling RAV4 is the leader by far.
Old 5th January 2008, 02:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I was over at the rav4world forums sometime ago where lots of posters considering RAV4 were also looking at the Santa FE and some even opted for Sante FE. Some posters find it delivers more value for the price and is slightly bigger than RAV4, only when it comes to handling RAV4 is the leader by far.
Having driven the '07 RAV4 & the '07 Santa Fe,I feel the RAV4 is much more refined than the Santa Fe. The latter comes with a nice set of options,and being bigger in size,a lot of people were inclined towards it. The RAV4 is a proven winner,and that makes it stand apart from almost any competition in its class.
Old 5th January 2008, 03:47   #70
BHPian

If Hyundai sells the Santa fe for 8.5 lakhs, then they have to follow their erstwhile brother Dawood motors in shutting shop.

I am sure the article was a typo, it must have meant 18 lakhs..
Old 5th January 2008, 05:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
If Hyundai sells the Santa fe for 8.5 lakhs, then they have to follow their erstwhile brother Dawood motors in shutting shop.

I am sure the article was a typo, it must have meant 18 lakhs..
Could be 8L, consider the US price $20K, for a V6 with all goodies like Traction Control, Auto Transmission etc.
You can't justfy if it is 18L, even if a 100% excise duty on it.
Old 10th January 2008, 11:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I nearly got run off the road yesterday by a convoy of Santa Fe(s). Four in total with the protective white stickers on hood and sides. They seemed pretty fast and quiet. But, they had temp Bhutan plates.
Old 11th January 2008, 18:06   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Could be 8L, consider the US price $20K, for a V6 with all goodies like Traction Control, Auto Transmission etc.
You can't justfy if it is 18L, even if a 100% excise duty on it.
I spoke to the Hyundai company and they told me its not going to be prised so low. Particularly because of the import tax which is at 100%. So it should cost atleast 14 lakhs.
Old 11th January 2008, 20:59   #74
BHPian

RE: Santa fe

The figures floating are in the 15 - 18Lac range which doesnt make it as a terracan replacement. Anything above 18lac and no one would buy it. not a hyundai.
Old 12th January 2008, 00:16   #75
BHPian

Is Hyudai going to launch the SantaFe at the show? Seems like there is not price announcement... Any news from talking to them?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks