Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:50   #1
BHPian

Baleno - A failure??

Hey guys.... I was in hibernation for a while, but this really woke me up! I was reading a review of the SX4 in a newspaper a couple of days back (I know its kinda late, but I read about anything that has wheels.. anytime). And the journalist (whoever he was, he did the smart thing by not revealing his name) had boldy stated "Let's hope that the SX4 doesn't follow the same path as its predecessor and become a complete failure".
Now, being a proud and happy owner of a Baleno myself, these words weren't exactly pleasing to my eyes! While it is true that the initial sales of the Baleno wasn't upto the expected mark due to the pricing (nice going MUL), I feel it really picked up after the price cuts. In fact, I wasn't surprised that there are lots of members in this forum who have Balenos. When I first booked my car, lots of friends (guys who dont know the difference between ABS and SRS airbags!!) ridiculed my decision. But something told me that it was a good decision and my Baleno proved me right. Even a service manger at Bimal Auto claimed that, while the SX4 looks very modern and has a lot of gizmos, he doubts it'll ever come up the mark of the Baleno. I was pretty surprised to hear that, but nevertheless pleased. So what do you guys think? Baleno... failure?! I think not.... lots of happy owners can back me up here...
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Can not exactly comment on the success of the car as I did not follow it anytime but then when I got a chance to sit in this car, it really pleased me with the performance and handling.. Highly underrated car..
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:03   #3
BANNED

Hope this thread doesn't turn into SX4 vs Baleno, we know who the winner is,
Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
while the SX4 looks very modern and has a lot of gizmos, he doubts it'll ever come up the mark of the Baleno. I was pretty surprised to hear that, but nevertheless pleased. So what do you guys think?
Baleno sales did pick up after the price cuts. I guess they were selling 3K~4K Baleno+Esteem combined during good times. Though good numbers, not necessarily segment leading.
Baleno is perceived as an enthusiast's car. Since this an enthusiasts' forum, obviously, you will find lot of Baleno owners here.
Quote:
Baleno... failure?! I think not.... lots of happy owners can back me up here...
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Baleno is perceived as an enthusiast's car. Since this an enthusiasts' forum, obviously, you will find lot of Baleno owners here.
I was not an enthusiast until I bought my Baleno. It really brought out the driving devil in me

I am extremely pleased with the car and would not exchange it for an SX4
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:11   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Would I choose a SX4 over a baleno? NEVER!

That said, is the baleno better than an SX4? Not necessarily.

What I would like?

Baleno bundled with other features on the SX4 like ABS, airbags, steering audio controls etc. Now that would have been a bliss.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hope this thread doesn't turn into SX4 vs Baleno, we know who the winner is
This thread isnt about SX4 vs Baleno. They are two different cars with very little in common. I wanted to know what others thought about the Baleno. And if most of them agree with me, then I thought that we could may be form a hit squad and beat the living daylights out of these so-called auto journalists... jeeezz!!!
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:17   #7
BHPian

Exactly, the sales figures were better after the price cuts.
And i believe the car was never a failure because, most of the baleno owners are very much pleased with their car.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Baleno bundled with other features on the SX4 like ABS, airbags, steering audio controls etc. Now that would have been a bliss.
Hehehe... oh yea!! But on a serious note, has anyone tried to fit an aftermarket ABS on the Baleno? Will Maruti do it if we bugged them? I know airbags are out the question, but why can't ABS be added?
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:37   #9
BHPian

Calling Baleno a 'complete failure' is nonsense.

But based on Maruti starndards, Baleno might not be a big success.

Fact is that most of those who buy a Baleno are not enthusiasts, but poeple who look for VFM. I daily see too many Balenos here in bangalore, most of them with stock tyres and wheels.
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

If Baleno is a failure in terms of sales, I still don't regret my decision. At least, that has kept the Balenos from weird and sad mod jobs. I prefer owning a vehicle that is not very common.
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:56   #11
BHPian

no doubt baleno is/was a good car but the only problem why it didnot do as well as it should was may be the price it came with earlier.

aam janta who just wants a three box car went for the esteem rather than going for an expensive car made by the company which has been famous in india for making small hatchbacks.

so the suzuki created compition for themselves just like wagonr and estilo or swift ZXi and swift Vdi ( yeah yeah fuel is different but vdi has killed Zxi)
at that time honda old model vtech was a better choice any day...it still is (if available as it was)..
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:58   #12
Team-BHP Support

If you see the sales charts then Baleno is a failure. No matter how they priced it later on and all. It failed from its launch in '99 / '00. Did not set the sales charts on fire at any point of time in its tenure.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

In terms of sales n pricing.
Baleno
2000-2004 - Failure
2004-2006 - Success
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
2004-2006 - Success
How many were sold in this period?
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:07   #15
BHPian

about the later "success" of baleno, you wont call that success, you call it stock clearance, just like diwali sale
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks