Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to Replace Elantra with Genesis

Today's TOI reports that Hyundai will replace its Elantra with sports Sedan Genesis which was showcased at the Detroit Auto Show.

It is expected to be priced in Rs 12-14 lakh range

Here is how it looks

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncateg...6/genesis1.jpg

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncateg...6/genesis2.jpg

Looks somewhat like the Camry

Techno
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:36   #2
BHPian

So much for TOI's research! Looks like the next version of the azera.. It looks big to replace the elantra..

Hyundai Concept Genesis

In fact it is pitched against the BMW 5 series! Spied: 2009 Hyundai Genesis - Car News - Car and Driver June 2007

It’s full speed ahead for Hyundai’s 5-series fighter. Our advice: It'd better be good.
BY STEVE SILER, PHOTOGRAPHY KGP PHOTOGRAPHY June 2007

We’re still getting used to the idea that Hyundai will start producing a credible near-luxury sedan in the second half of 2008. The folks at Hyundai are in full-prep mode creating a rear-wheel-drive reality from the Genesis sedan concept that headlined its stand at the 2007 New York auto show in April.

From various angles, the Genesis caught testing looks like a lot of other cars we can think of, including the Infiniti G35, BMW 5-series, Acura TL, and various Lexuses. Funny concept, Hyundai copying Lexus—it wasn’t long ago that we accused Lexus of copying a certain German luxury maker.

In New York, Hyundai officials said about 90 percent of the Genesis concept cues would make it into production, with changes to include such tweaks to the front—where styling matters most—as fiddling with the fascia, as well as slight modifications to the rear. We knew the headlamps were slated to get bigger, but the cool high-set, squinting eyes on the concept appear to have grown into big normal-looking units—and thus into ubiquity. The sculpted three-bar grille has turned into a flat, conservative five-bar deal, and the full-width lower air intake with rectangular fog-lamp units has turned into a conventional triple-aperture design with round fogs. Yawn.

Too bad, because the interior should pass muster. Hyundai has promised it will pack the Genesis full of high-brow goodies—enough to compete with the likes of the aforementioned 5-series as well as the Mercedes-Benz E-class. Given how well equipped the $25.000-to-$30,000 Hyundai Azera is, we have no reason to doubt Hyundai’s abilities when given even more real estate (and budget) to work with. Just how closely Hyundai can imitate the fit and finish of its German rivals remains to be seen.

Last edited by rangaraj : 3rd November 2007 at 12:50.
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

wow looks to classy for that price range
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:46   #4
BHPian

Man! it looks like a mean machine. But, Elantra's replacement. I can't believe this.

Looks like Hyundai has got some good designers but poor marketing guys.!
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice though it is very similar looking to the New Camry. But I seriously doubt the pricing.
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

And I dont think that headlight cluster will make it to production
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Good move. I'm sure people like me would always prefer an amp to the Elantra
Old 3rd November 2007, 13:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Today's TOI reports that Hyundai will replace its Elantra with sports Sedan Genesis which was showcased at the Detroit Auto Show.

TOI is nuts. As is ET. No way this thing is going to sell for 12-14 lakhs and no way the Santa Fe is going to sell for 8.5.

Do you seriously expect a 4.6 litre 340 bhp V8 to sell for 12-14 lakhs? And how can we on THIS forum even quote a report like that which says that this RWD billed as a sporty luxury car will replace a 2.0 litre diesel econo sedan?

Somebody in TOI has been smoking some exotic stuff. However, we should be more responsible than this.
Old 3rd November 2007, 13:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

the car has toyota camry written all over it. i really doubt the pricing and like said by steeroid a 4.6 litre V8 sell for 12-14 lacs is a dream. it would be in the 21- 41 lac figure according to me. the car would definately aimed to compete against the likes of the E class, 5 series and the audi A6 segment. it sure is not a replacement for the elentra.
Old 3rd November 2007, 13:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
it would be in the 21- 41 lac figure according to me.
I'll go a step ahead and say that this wont make it to India. Ever. We dont have a performance luxury market large enough for the biggies - why would Hyundai want to try and get a share of the crumbs? Not worth the effort.

I think we should close this thread, and perhaps Hyundai should sue the TOI group. This is absolute nonsense and we are not doing ourselves any favours by discussing it in earnest.
Old 3rd November 2007, 13:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Auto CAR-06- Hyundai's Future Plans
1.Hyundai verna = October 06 Launch (tick)
2.Diesel Sonata = End 06 (tick)
3.Getz Diesel=End 07 (tick)
4.New Santro=End07 (tick)
5.New Hyundai Elantra = End 07 ????????? Am surprised that till now no one has spotted this being tested anywhere in India :( .
Old 3rd November 2007, 16:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Here is how it looks

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncateg...6/genesis1.jpg

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncateg...6/genesis2.jpg

Looks somewhat like the Camry

Techno
It is not coming as a replacement for Elantra.. But it is placed against BMW and Merc. in America and was first shown in New York Auto Show.

Dude its 4.6L V8 24 Valve and well over 300 hp sedan with 20" alloys. GPS system bla bla bla. Its price is well over 30k US, i think 38k USD. Not at all possible for 14-15 lakh. lol and Such a big Engine for just 14-15 lakh? na na

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 3rd November 2007 at 16:21.
Old 3rd November 2007, 16:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Auto CAR-06- Hyundai's Future Plans
1.Hyundai verna = October 06 Launch (tick)
2.Diesel Sonata = End 06 (tick)
3.Getz Diesel=End 07 (tick)
4.New Santro=End07 (tick)
5.New Hyundai Elantra = End 07 ????????? Am surprised that till now no one has spotted this being tested anywhere in India :( .
A confusion is there... either i30 will replace elantra i30 is a hatchback in other countries. But in an article in hindustan times i think they said i30 sedan will replace elantra. Dunno what's going on.... Elantra 2007 will replace old elantra or i30 sedan will replace?
Old 3rd November 2007, 22:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Replace the logo and its a camry........
Old 3rd November 2007, 23:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Replace the logo and its a camry........
Exactly. I wonder how folks are saying that Hyundai has good designers!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks