Team-BHP - High Time : Government Polluting The Enviornment
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   High Time : Government Polluting The Enviornment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/30972-high-time-government-polluting-enviornment.html)

I have been wondering at times about the pollution problems our planet is facing, day by day it is getting worse. Now as I own a car which contributes to this damage we need to get our pollution control as on particular intervals and if by chance it is expired and you are cornered by the cops you usually end up pleading not to get a ticket. Usually this pollution check excercise is done by the traffic police in order to make a quick buck from car owners.
Have you ever noticed (and i'm sure you have) whenever a Govt bus passes by or a truck or even a government official veh (diesel) 6 out ot 10 are majorly polluting the environment leaving huge smoke clouds and nothing has ever been done about that.
No state transport has ever been fined by the Govt, who actually are responsible for an extra 55-60% of posionous gas emissions due to their non maintainence. On the otherhand our cars and LMV emissions can hardly be seen but if you dont' have a pollution check slip updated you are penalised. What i feel is that any vehicle if it is emitting smoke must be fined on the spot and if it has a valid pollution check, the issuing station should be prosecuted.

CAN WE DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ....?please:

You make a valid point, but unfortunately I don't think the Govt gives a **** about older vehicles polluting, except, as you said, for the cops wanting bribes for no PUC certificate in private cars.

A very valid point indeed! In Calcutta, a very high percentage of thick, black smoke spewing vehicles belong to different Govt. departments. In fact, some of the worst polluting vehicles I've seen are police jeeps and trucks.

Firstly, we must all be responsible for OUR vehicles, not blame govt/....

Secondly, if you're so concerned, join a NGO that goes and tunes them up. Most vehicles just need a little tuning for the pollution to reduce significantly.

Else, plant a tree :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvd (Post 618217)
A very valid point indeed! In Calcutta, a very high percentage of thick, black smoke spewing vehicles belong to different Govt. departments. In fact, some of the worst polluting vehicles I've seen are police jeeps and trucks.

very true - but do they actually care about pollution? i dont think so - except the convoy cars (read red/white Marshals/Sumos/Gypsies) the rest of the cop cars are good for nothing but one of the main sources of pollution.

simply think of the blue old M&M marshals they use.

well a bit OT - but i spotted a Hyundai Accent Cop car in Calcutta some days back @ Saltlake Sector V (near Rajarhat)

@ Phamilyman - we are responsible for our vehicles - arent we? its true that there is no point blaming the govt - but actually they DON'T care about the vehicles they use.

maybe a case else where but in mumbai. most of the govt. vehicles are less than 5 yrs. old and older ones are CNG and newer ones are bs2 or newer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 618300)

Secondly, if you're so concerned, join a NGO that goes and tunes them up. Most vehicles just need a little tuning for the pollution to reduce significantly.

Dude...the point here is that MOST private vehicles, except really badly maintained and / or VERY old ones don't pollute all that much compared to the many Central / State Govt. owned buses, trucks, vans, jeeps, etc.

You've just contradicted yourself with your first and second point. Just as we must be responsible for our vehicles, so too must the Govt. be for theirs. Joining an NGO and doing their dirty work for them is not the solution.

Planting a tree may help reduce CO2, but not the myriad other noxious gases that are emitted by badly maintained, old vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 618300)

Phamilyman, Joining an NGO does not mean that you go and tune the Govt vehicles every time they go beyond the emission norms (its an NGO not a 'dial a service' dept.)and even after that what garuntee do we have that they would not pollute in the future or the Govt would maintain them properly.