Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2007, 23:01   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Extreme cruise control is always on an automatic, do you want the car to do 100 + on 1st gear if you have set it on 100 and dont change gears.
Unless I'm mistaken, cruise control can be activated only after you crossed a specified speed. I remember driving a Pontiac GP, and (if I remember correctly) the cruise control couldn't be activated below 50 mph.

So that kind of rules out doing 100+ on 1st gear, unless one keeps the car in 1st, hits 100 kph and then turns on cruise control.
Old 9th November 2007, 00:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, cruise control can be activated only after you crossed a specified speed. I remember driving a Pontiac GP, and (if I remember correctly) the cruise control couldn't be activated below 50 mph.

So that kind of rules out doing 100+ on 1st gear, unless one keeps the car in 1st, hits 100 kph and then turns on cruise control.
Which car does 100kmph in 1st gear?!

Anyway, confirmed, My E320 when set to second gear cruises at 70 mph at 5000 rpm unless disturbed.
Old 9th November 2007, 01:08   #48
BHPian

woooooo 10.3 Ex-showroom, guess its too expensive considering the fact you can get a Safari Dicor LX for 7.3L ex-showroom and yea you get more legroom.

Last edited by turbolader : 9th November 2007 at 01:14.
Old 9th November 2007, 01:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

cruise control, what is the big deal? why is the thread being jacked? I think there is more talk about cruise control, rather than the scorpio itself.

regarding the scorpio, i dont like it, when you are putting a new engine, in a car, i want a new design! granted the scoop that is now working is good news, but could they have atleast redone that hideous back?
Old 9th November 2007, 11:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

I really dont think cruise control is a essential in India, Radar guided Cruise Control is more the order of the day, atleast in our country.

I just think Mahindra should have left the cruise control out, or make it optional, i certainly would not want to be paying all of 15k more for cruise control since i am certainly not gonna use it.
Old 9th November 2007, 12:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
what i'm saying basically is, i dont think you'll be a test mule for the new engine. you will not be part of an 'evolution' like the tata vehicles at least.
OT
Yup the engine on the Scorpio has always been brilliant, but lets not pretend Mahindra is bulletproof - previous Scorpio owners have been part of an evolution on suspensions, differentials, gearboxes and the like, just like Safari owners have been part of evolutions on plastics, rubber hoses, airconditioning, etc.

There is no need to drag Tata into Mahindra threads and vice versa. Each have their own strengths & weakness, so let them be. There is a Scorpio v/s Safari thread for comparative analysis.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th November 2007 at 12:30.
Old 9th November 2007, 12:49   #52
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
what i'm saying basically is, i dont think you'll be a test mule for the new engine. you will not be part of an 'evolution' like the tata vehicles at least. going by history, the scorpio has had a superb engine that no competition has been able to shake.
For the totally new 2.2 engine particularly, for both you will be part of the "evolution" if you may call so. It all depends upon who has used their services with AVL better. The 2.2 is totally new territory for both and past precedents may be misleading.

Those who are not confident and do not want to be a part of the "evolution process", will be happy with the 2.6 or the 3.0 of their respective brands and they have valid reasons for that.

For me TATA has got its 2.2 engine quite perfect and gears are smooth. It is regarding the fit and finish of interiors it has a lot to do and that will improve when the 2.2 MHawk comes up, Scorpio always had better interior finish - design is somewhat subjective and varies from person to person.

Last edited by adc : 9th November 2007 at 13:05.
Old 9th November 2007, 12:52   #53
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
OT
Yup the engine on the Scorpio has always been brilliant, but lets not pretend Mahindra is bulletproof - previous Scorpio owners have been part of an evolution on suspensions, differentials, gearboxes and the like, just like Safari owners have been part of evolutions on plastics, rubber hoses, airconditioning, etc.
nobody's pretending anything here. i was just quoting a first hand experience to a prospective buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
OT

There is no need to drag Tata into Mahindra threads and vice versa. Each have their own strengths & weakness, so let them be. There is a Scorpio v/s Safari thread for comparative analysis.
why not !? whats the point if you cant compare a vehicle to its nearest competition !? no one's bashing any manufacturer or vehicle here...its just a discussion. is there an issue here !?

Last edited by NIP : 9th November 2007 at 13:03.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:06   #54
BHPian

What a shame! M&M could have atleast done a few changes to the body shape. Not worth paying 10.3 lacs just for the engine upgrade. Neither is there enough space for tall guys over 6.2, Still feels like a truck. Had driven the old version to Ooty and wow! it sways like a boat, above 90KM. Very underpowered and the clutch my god, will need knee replacements shortly.

M&M could have atleast made the driver's seat more spacious with more leg room, better thigh support, better brakes, better handling etc.

Only time will tel how the new Eagle will do. Just swapping the engine will not do. Especially when all the new SUVs are coming into town.
Old 9th November 2007, 19:23   #55
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please take the effort of typing out in full and proper english. Other members of this community will benefit from your NOT using SMS / Slang language.

Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 11th November 2007 at 18:15.
neo_trace is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th November 2007, 21:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
What a shame! M&M could have atleast done a few changes to the body shape. Not worth paying 10.3 lacs just for the engine upgrade.
Got it, an engine upgrade is not substantial enough.

There is a huge segment that appreciate "cosmetics"

However if some had their way, they would actually make the scorpio go back to its initial form.
Old 9th November 2007, 21:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
What a shame! M&M could have atleast done a few changes to the body shape. Not worth paying 10.3 lacs just for the engine upgrade. Neither is there enough space for tall guys over 6.2, Still feels like a truck. Had driven the old version to Ooty and wow! it sways like a boat, above 90KM. Very underpowered and the clutch my god, will need knee replacements shortly.

M&M could have atleast made the driver's seat more spacious with more leg room, better thigh support, better brakes, better handling etc.

Only time will tel how the new Eagle will do. Just swapping the engine will not do. Especially when all the new SUVs are coming into town.
Bro, to each his own. You might appreciate an improvement more than the second person. Going by that standard, no car is perfect. Case point. The Swift DDSI and the Octavia. The Swift has better FE than the Octavia, More front legroom than the Octavia, Better handling than the Octavia, Evenly matched performance, Less maintainence costs than the Octavia. Newer looks than the Octavia. All at around 5.5L, less than half of an Octavia. Does that make Swift a better car than an Octavia? I would say no, because when you buy a car you look at the complete package, and dont pick up every little missing thing. The sales of the Scorpio is proof enough to qualify it to be a good complete package.

AS far as issues of cramped seating go, I would like to state this that the Scorpio is almost car like to drive in the city, primarily because its length is not huge. This advantage brings with it a somewhat cramped seating position. I drive in the city 70% of the times, and I can really appreciate the use of space.

Most of the Scorpio owners I know of quite like the present shape. Its raw and brute, and non-pretentious. Just as the Safari is grand, royal and aloof. Me mentioning the Safari here is because, 1. I owned that machine and have a partiality to it. 2. I like the shape of the car, and when the 2.2 was introduced in the vehicle, no-one asked for a shape change. 3. Its a direct/nearest comparison to the Scorpio, and therefore needs to be mentioned as a reference.

I cant quite understand your views about the power of the Scorpio, when you call it underpowered. For as far as I know, the Scorpio sets the bench mark in performance as fas as SUV's are concerned; sub 10L. Are you comparing the performance with a car? Also are you comparing the vehicle handling with a 10L + offroader/softroader?

Last edited by vibzez : 9th November 2007 at 21:59.
Old 10th November 2007, 01:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Extreme cruise control is always on an automatic, do you want the car to do 100 + on 1st gear if you have set it on 100 and dont change gears.
C.C. is automatically turned off or inactivated by applying the brakes or depressing the clutch. In India there is little need for C.C. In other countries with many long limited access highways C.C. is very handy to have because you can often travel 100K on these roads without needing to vary your speed. C.C. in this environment allows you to not have to constantly shift your attention from the speedometer to your foot on the throttle. This is less tiring and potentially safer as it allows you to watch out for other problems on the road. In India you have pedestrians, scooters, wild elephants, street dogs, drunks, stoats, goats, reticulated pythons and mad Tata bus drivers coming at you from all points of the compass every 50 meters. Hence you are always applying the brakes and going thru the gears hence little need for C.C.
Old 10th November 2007, 04:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a shame! M&M could have atleast done a few changes to the body shape. Not worth paying 10.3 lacs just for the engine upgrade.
They just did a big cosmetic upgrade a year or so ago. Want another already
Old 10th November 2007, 10:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
C.C. is automatically turned off or inactivated by applying the brakes or depressing the clutch. In India there is little need for C.C. In other countries with many long limited access highways C.C. is very handy to have because you can often travel 100K on these roads without needing to vary your speed. C.C. in this environment allows you to not have to constantly shift your attention from the speedometer to your foot on the throttle. This is less tiring and potentially safer as it allows you to watch out for other problems on the road. In India you have pedestrians, scooters, wild elephants, street dogs, drunks, stoats, goats, reticulated pythons and mad Tata bus drivers coming at you from all points of the compass every 50 meters. Hence you are always applying the brakes and going thru the gears hence little need for C.C.
Completely agree with you.
But I was wondering, if cars also start coming with Cruise Control feature, maybe it would encourage drivers to follow other vehicles in a line. What we usually see is that as soon as one sees a car in front, there is a natural tendency in majority of Indian drivers to overtake recklessly, or not letting the other vehicle pass. Maybe this feature being a novelty, would be used and then gradually catch on. Just a thought. Wish full thinking.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks