Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2007, 16:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Great snaps of the still now elusive 2.2 Hawk.

Leaving aside the handling, [though quite driver dependent that is], the supposed 10.3 L Hawk should/will give the Safari EX and VX versions some sweat - on first impressions.

The things missing in the Safari till now most probably will be added in the EX and VX versions for competition sake.
Are they seriously going to sell it for 10.3L ?

If they are they must be living on cloud cuckoo land. The pricing is a joke.
Old 10th November 2007, 20:52   #62
BHPian

booohooooooooo

I just bought mine 2 months ago - hope they fixed the roll though, Coz, the current roll will scare many a driver to get this beast to topple

IMHO the short wheelbase makes it an easy drive in the city. Ask my wife, she will vouch for that. .
Additionally it is the only SUV in that range available as an 8 seater. Yeah Yeah.I know that the Innova and the Tavera do too, but they aint SUVs and the Sumo Victa too crude for me.) . Some of us have families to seat and big ones at that.

My tuppence
Old 10th November 2007, 23:13   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I just bought mine 2 months ago - hope they fixed the roll though, Coz, the current roll will scare many a driver to get this beast to topple

IMHO the short wheelbase makes it an easy drive in the city. Ask my wife, she will vouch for that. .
Additionally it is the only SUV in that range available as an 8 seater. Yeah Yeah.I know that the Innova and the Tavera do too, but they aint SUVs and the Sumo Victa too crude for me.) . Some of us have families to seat and big ones at that.

My tuppence
Its not exactly a proper 8 seater. The rear most seats are ok if you are 3ft tall any taller and you will have the most uncomfortable ride ever.
Old 10th November 2007, 23:25   #64
BHPian

@bigman

please don't exaggerate, i agree that space is less in the last row. we have gone for long trips in scorpio with 6 ft people in the last row and it was not the most uncomfortable ride .
Old 11th November 2007, 02:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
@bigman

please don't exaggerate, i agree that space is less in the last row. we have gone for long trips in scorpio with 6 ft people in the last row and it was not the most uncomfortable ride .
I am 6ft 4" and those rear most seats are not comfortable on short trips let alone long trips. I would rather get a bus than sit in the last row. The 6ft people must have just been very polite.

Thinking about it the middle row is nothing special either. As they say looks can deceive and thats what the Scorpio does well. Looks very spacious on the outside but internally it is a bit short on space.

Last edited by bigman : 11th November 2007 at 02:49.
Old 11th November 2007, 09:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Scorp Is A Great Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
@bigman

I can vouch for that, the last row is a problem, but OK if you have light and short peopel, in fact we did a trip from Delhi to Rishikesh with 10 people, the last row had 4 children above 10 years age, they are more flexible than adults and if you give them each a gameboy or some gizmo to get occupied, they don't complain much like us adults

I really don't understand the epic about Scorpios handling, being tall and all the stuff. I've done 7K kms in 3 months and think this is one of the best deals under 10L bracket.

Most of the comparisions with Dicor are a little unfair, IMHO, both the scorp and the Dicor has its strong points, depends what your needs are. If you want space, cruising, long distance Dicor would make sense. If you have to drive in the town a lot, want a peppy, macho looking machine, Scorp is the way to go.

The new Scorp will evolve; I'm sure they'd change the instrument cluster, interiors and will also bring down the price. Look at the historical data, the LX is a bargain now with improved everyting at 7 L invoice price. It's a matter of time, the Eagle will also follow suit, once the numbers will pick up, there will be takers at the 10+ plus price.

Sure, the Dicor will also evolve and become better to stay in the game.
Now...... you Dicor guys, don't jump on me, we have had enough of that already.

--Ramky
========
Old 11th November 2007, 11:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

with that height and if you are built well, you need to buy a bus and not any car/SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I am 6ft 4" and those rear most seats are not comfortable on short trips let alone long trips. I would rather get a bus than sit in the last row. The 6ft people must have just been very polite.

Thinking about it the middle row is nothing special either. As they say looks can deceive and thats what the Scorpio does well. Looks very spacious on the outside but internally it is a bit short on space.
Old 11th November 2007, 12:58   #68
BHPian

[quote=Prithvi;621582] Very underpowered and the clutch my god, will need knee replacements shortly.quote]

Underpowered and hard clutch? Are you sure its a Scorpio?
Old 11th November 2007, 14:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mansidea;622808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Very underpowered and the clutch my god, will need knee replacements shortly.quote]

Underpowered and hard clutch? Are you sure its a Scorpio?
I agree with that, one of the plus point for the Scoprio has always been the excellent engine. Even the first generation of Scorpios (non CRDE) was far better than what Tata put in the original Safari. You cannot say the vehicle was underpowered.

The clutch is also fine.
Old 11th November 2007, 18:19   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Scorpio was never lacking on power, but more BHP is of course always welcome. I do hope they have addressed the high-speed road behaviour of the Scorpio as well as space for the front and middle row seats. Wont be too difficult to remove the rear bench to free up that much more space for front / middle row passengers. Several of my 6 footer friends have rejected the Scorpio simply because they could not fit comfortably in the drivers seat.

Not everyone wants a 7 - 8 seater SUV. A more spacious 5 seater variant would attract its own market.
Old 11th November 2007, 23:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not everyone wants a 7 - 8 seater SUV. A more spacious 5 seater variant would attract its own market.
Quote of the Day.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Its done purposely on bigger vehicles for lesser excise duties. Vehicles with seating capacity of more than 7 persons (including driver) is 16%. If its upto 7 person its 24%.

I think Qualis, Innova, Sumo etc are registered to carry more than 7 persons.

Source: SIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Old 12th November 2007, 13:31   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its done purposely on bigger vehicles for lesser excise duties. Vehicles with seating capacity of more than 7 persons (including driver) is 16%. If its upto 7 person its 24%.

I think Qualis, Innova, Sumo etc are registered to carry more than 7 persons.

Source: SIAM
You are right Dadu,but one ends up paying more for Registeration, any vehicle above the capacity of seven attracts 1% extra for registeration.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

The eight seater version gives you the ability to slide the middle seat backward by a good 5 inches. That brings the legspace in the middle row into Safari category

It does make the last row unusable for adults, but I have a couple of toddlers who are comfy there. I then have the proverbial cake and eat it too. .

Additionally , the highspeed dynamics is something that will definitely kill someone not used to the idiosyncrasies of the beast. A good combination of of steering and throttle input gets this baby to dance to my tune though..
Old 12th November 2007, 18:40   #75
BHPian

correct me if i am wrong but last time i drove a safari i noticed that the middle row seats could not be adjusted for recline even though there is good leg space it was like sitting on a bench
Closed Thread

Most Viewed