Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 19:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The things missing in the Safari till now most probably will be added in the EX and VX versions for competition sake.
Are you referring to audio controls on the steering? I really doubt the presence of cruise control at that ex-showroom price given Mahindra's track record on prices so far.

What else makes you say it will make the VX sweat - first impressions? Space, upholstery, what?
Old 7th November 2007, 20:02   #17
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Are you referring to audio controls on the steering? I really doubt the presence of cruise control at that ex-showroom price given Mahindra's track record on prices so far.

What else makes you say it will make the VX sweat - first impressions? Space, upholstery, what?

Both you and I have strong Safari bias and we have definitely valid reasons for that.

On first glance, the interiors look better than the Safari plus definitely the audio controls on the steering wheel and curise control at 10.3L and going by record Mahindra has better fit and finish than TATA.

As such for someone who compares feature to feature, 2.2 Hawk should be ahead. The gap that was there in sales number will stay that wide itself.

Definitely on ride comfort, Safari is way better and also somewhat this is true for handling. Safari is kind of exclusive, like Royal Enfields, and I like it that way.
Old 7th November 2007, 22:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

good to see atleast first pics of new Scorpio. I guess except new engine, there is nothing much to give safari a competition.

Audio control on steering is not good enough to create a USP. I can always buy an steering audio control compatible with the HU.

No changes in dash, I always feel scorpio dash is very non-macho and does not match with the truck's style

I would love to take a test ride before I really compare it with Safari 2.2
Old 8th November 2007, 01:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
The thread says all new scorpio 2.2 L . As far as I know there was no 2.2 L scorpio earlier . Were you expecting a completely new design ? LOL. Besides it is as new as the safari 2.2 is , compared to earlier safari 3.0. So can we please stop nitpicking?
I am not nitpicking, i just said that when i saw the thread it said all new so i though there were design changes as well. Honestly the derriere of the Scorpio is far from attractive, the previous was much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
To each his own. Wih all these "basic " problems Scoprio clocks 2500 - 3000+ sales every month. So those who actually buy may have a different definition of "basic" problems IMO. besides Mahindras loss is tatas gain.
Alto clocks 14000 per month, doesnot make it the best, forget how much a car sells, lets see how good it is, and when it comes to handling at high speeds and stability the scorpio is off wrt Safari.

Anyways the current upgrade is a good work but they need to make the handling better and for that i guess they need to reduce the height a bit

Last edited by BUSA : 8th November 2007 at 01:13.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

10.3 L ??? for the same design and same amount of space inside ?
Old 8th November 2007, 01:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Was hoping for some improvements in the interiors, and maybe some changes to the exteriors. I do hope that they've worked on the ride and handling, and maybe the seats (not the best for long drives).
I don't know if a new engine alone will excite the prospective buyers in India.
Nonetheless, waiting eagerly for a TD.
Old 8th November 2007, 09:11   #22
Team-BHP Support

this probably isnt the top end model since people have mentioned A/T and climate control. thats the one that would cost 10l.
Old 8th November 2007, 10:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
1. Alto clocks 14000 per month, doesnot make it the best, forget how much a car sells, lets see how good it is, 2. and when it comes to handling at high speeds and stability the scorpio is off wrt Safari.
1. I disagree. If Alto sells 14000 , and its other competotors IN THE SAME SEGMENT , sell much less numbers , it ofcourse makes alto the best selling car in its segment. That means a vast number of people see a value proposition in that product at that price point.

If team BHP was the right dipstick for indian car buyers , OHC Vtec will be still in production , Palio 1.6 will be the biggest selling hatch in India and maruti omni would be out of production long back., Fact is market has its own dynamics and perceptions in enthusiasts forums count for very little, if any , at the end of the day

2. As I Said , to each his own and a substantially large number of people, compared to competition every month do not seem to think so.

Last edited by w 12 : 8th November 2007 at 10:23.
Old 8th November 2007, 10:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
On first glance, the interiors look better than the Safari
ADC, you will notice that I referred specifically to the VX & that's why, perhaps, I don't agree with you about the interiors. The VX interiors are way ahead - even more so now with the 2.2L.

And, as I mentioned separately, cruise control at 10.3 - hmmmm, why am I skeptical (not about the presence of cruise control but about the price), let's wait & see
Old 8th November 2007, 10:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

Cruise control does not cost much, so at 10.3L is not unthinkable. Even economy cars abroad have cruise control. I presume it adds around 15K to the cost from Mahindra side.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Cruise control does not cost much, so at 10.3L is not unthinkable. Even economy cars abroad have cruise control. I presume it adds around 15K to the cost from Mahindra side.
Yah, but this is India & M&M, do you really see them giving cruise control for 15k extra?

Lets be realistic tsk, why don't we see it on all economy cars then? Even ABS for that matter?

By the way, can someone tell me the ex-showroom price for the present top end model? Its the SLX if I'm not mistaken? What is the ex-showroom price of the MOST expensive Scorpio variant in its present avatar?

Last edited by suman : 8th November 2007 at 11:16.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:19   #27
Team-BHP Support

Because when a company says "Pay 25K extra and get ABS and Airbags" people ask why?
Same thing here. For 20-25K more Mahindra will give cruise control. Simple. Those who ask "why" will take a lower spec model.
Considering the sales volumes of scorpio(more than twice that of safari) and cost of production(definitely less than safari) its not unthinkable that a slightly higher spec model of Mahindra costs less than the similar stuff in safari.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Because when a company says "Pay 25K extra and get ABS and Airbags" people ask why?
I think you've got the pricing wrong - its 25k extra for ABS ONLY, Airbags would set you back by about a lac more at least.

I'm asking for the current pricing to determine what the estimated price of the "fully loaded" Eagle will be & I can safely guess that it will be in excess of 10.3 lacs ex-showroom if it comes with ABS, Airbags & Cruise Control.

Wanna bet ?
Old 8th November 2007, 11:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

@Suman... Exactly.... feature for feature, Safari trumps the comparable scorpio model except for that talking thingie :P
Old 8th November 2007, 11:31   #30
BHPian

Scorpio Platoon

Has anyone seen the Scorpio Platoon in Bangalore. I saw it in the parking at The OctoberFest in Bangalore. Seemed like a cusp between the Scorpio and the Getaway with the length of the Scoprio, 2 rows of seating and open baggage space in place of the third row of seating.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks