Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 12:30   #31
BHPian

I am quite sure than Hyundai will not stop Santro for next couple of years.
They will keep it alive to compete with Alto, Wagon R (low end) and few others. If Maruti can continue with Alto, Wagon R, new Zen, in almost same segment ( Some of us may differ as A / A+ / B / B+ segment) then why not Hyundai?
Old 13th November 2007, 14:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

I agree with mrkanitkar based on pure common sense. There should be a solid reason for any auto manufacturer to stop a particular model. Hyundai is generating major portion of its revenue from santros, not elantras, vernas or tucsons as its clearly proved from the number of cars we see on road. Santro has gone through different changes (engine and design) over the years too.

i10 is a brand new kid from Hyundai which has no similar product anywhere in the world. Therefore it is a test car globally. It can go through numerous make-overs, engine mods, price fluctuation as its the case with any other brands and models. Even if I want to buy an i10, I would prefer to wait for the second or third edition which is naturally expected to be refined and rectified of its first batch issues (based on customer feed back and market survey).
Old 13th November 2007, 14:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Just got my i10 yesterday....
compared to santro...its .....awesome...
the silent engine, the pickup and the interiors...
santro is no match...
Congrats achopraa, i feel you have taken a terrific decision. The i10 stands quite apart from the santro.
Old 13th November 2007, 14:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Earlier Hyundai had various models in Santro like XK, XL, XP and XO etc...now they have only two models GLE and GLS. The future of Santro doesn't sound good to me...
Old 13th November 2007, 15:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

totally OT: When i heard the name i10 for the first time, i thought it was a new phone!

Why are they calling it i10?
Old 13th November 2007, 15:22   #36
BHPian

Thanks @ kpzen

HML has clearly given the statement that they are not going to stop the production of Santro.
I think the car industry is going to be in a completely new league in the coming days.
What I think is that Santro is going to complete with Alto, i10 with Wagon R/Zen Estilo and Getz Prime is pitched against Swift. But then also they are surely going to eat each other's margin.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

may be cos they want to call the new Getz as i20
Old 13th November 2007, 15:49   #38

I dont think Santro production is stopped, it has probably been suspended temporarily to facilitate the production of more i10s.

I have done a college level project in the Hyundai Factory in Chennai several years ago. All the machines they run are general purpose CNCs.
Once in a while the program to manufacture a different car is loaded into all these machines and the entire factory begins to churn out a different car. The factory was being switched between Santro and Accent at that time (8 years ago) as those were the only cars sold by Hyundai in India. The factory is probably programmed to produce i10s and the production of Santro has been temporarily suspended, when the stock goes down they will re-program the factory to produce Santros
Old 13th November 2007, 16:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Earlier Hyundai had various models in Santro like XK, XL, XP and XO etc...now they have only two models GLE and GLS. The future of Santro doesn't sound good to me...
Assuming i10 will be hugely successful, HMIL wont specifically kill the Santro, but wait for the market to do it. They are already feeding the market by over-focusing on the i10 and even withdrawing the offers on the Santro.
Old 13th November 2007, 16:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
totally OT: When i heard the name i10 for the first time, i thought it was a new phone!

to match with Maruti's SX4
Old 13th November 2007, 16:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Thanks @ kpzen

HML has clearly given the statement that they are not going to stop the production of Santro.
I think the car industry is going to be in a completely new league in the coming days.
What I think is that Santro is going to complete with Alto, i10 with Wagon R/Zen Estilo and Getz Prime is pitched against Swift. But then also they are surely going to eat each other's margin.
Maruti has done same, let products from same company compete against each other, let customer get confused. End of the day customer should not buy product from other company. I remeber Maruti MD was telling same in an interview on CNBC. Production will continue till model is making reasonable profit and you have business case.
Old 13th November 2007, 19:09   #42
BHPian

I had a chance to drive my friend's i10 today. It is from the first batch of deliveries in Bangalore. I must say I was quite impressed.
Engine is dead silent and looks very small. Pick up is very good. Inside is spacious. Ample legroom, both in the front and back. Total cost : 4.33L on road.

According to him, as dealer told him while taking delivery of his car, Santro is going to be phased out very soon.
Old 13th November 2007, 21:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

As I understand from few other sources: dealers will make lot of stories to show the maximum sales on the new launch i10, while encouraging potential customers of santro to try out i10. Santro is a proven car on indian roads over the years, i10 yet to prove its capabilities by taking a minimum of 1 year on road.

I love the interior concept and design by bringing in some luxury feel inside. A great change which might be copied by similar segment cars very soon.
Old 14th November 2007, 08:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
According to him, as dealer told him while taking delivery of his car, Santro is going to be phased out very soon.
I dont beleive the dealers at all.
I was in constant touch with dealers regarding the launch of i10 and they were unaware of it till 31st Morning(october) And this is not just case of one dealer of one city.

The reason for them pushing you to i10 is also that they are getting a hefty margin on it since no discounts are being offered right away.

If santro xing was to be phased out after launching i10, then why didn't maruti phased out Alto or why is the good ol' 800 still in production?

Reason: - As specified in one of the posts, though these cars are going to eat into each others margin of other cars from the same company, but at the end the profit is of the company only.....

What say..
Old 14th November 2007, 17:20   #45
BHPian

Santro will be in production ..New Santro is coming in Feb2008. Saw it in autocar ..Hyundai will never discontinue Santro ..they are bringing car for every sagment in india .. thus santro prices will fall down..

Most Viewed