Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would a value-priced Automatic Indica work?
Yes 96 70.59%
No 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 17:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
India is warming up to automatics. I know of many persons who have converted from stick shifts to autos once they have tried them. They are literally converts. Before trying autos everyone has a wrong notion that an auto is very sluggish and a gas guzzler but in fact its quite the contrary. It all depends on the driving style. Agreed that an auto consumes marginally more than a manual and compared to a manual it is slightly sluggish as there is no control over the shifts but then in a crowded city like Bombay an auto is a boon. Due to lack of availability of better cars, if Tata offers the Indica with an auto box, I will be there in the line to get one. I am waiting for the Auto i10
I already have an Auto Santro and theres a literal fight in the house as to who is going to take her out.
From my driving experience, I can definitely say that an auto is not sluggish, at least on the road. It may look sluggish in terms of paper/technical timings. But real life makes no perceptible difference, unless you want to set a 0-100 kmph record. Of course, it is less FE, but that also depends on how you drive, isn't it. Even using an AC is less FE, but that is considered a necessity, unlike an AT. In fact, AC imposes the same FE penalty as an AT.

As to the thread subject, of course Indica AT would be desirable, but then
1. is Tata developing it.
2. will it sell, considering that most people may be buying the Indica for its cheap to run USP, and may not be willing to accept lower FE.
3. will it be reliable or will Tata will test the AT on the Indian public before improving it for the world markets.
Old 14th November 2007, 17:08   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can't imaging cabbies buying AT (because of their focus on fuel efficiency)
Exactly. But it is a nonsense because their driving habits (fast, aggressive driving) are very uneconomical.

They won't believe it.
Old 14th November 2007, 17:26   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps on the next-gen Indica/successor - which hopefully will carry a more personal tag to it. The current Indica has too much of a commercial image for anything (short of engine transplants) at this time of its lifecycle to make a difference.
Old 14th November 2007, 17:31   #34
BHPian

Since Indian public is gradually seeing the benefits of auto transmission, I think AT cars do have a good future ahead in India.

Modern AT cars are very efficient and not sluggish any way (even with a small engine).

It's only the people's perception that prevents their widespread use.

Off topic:

Can someone explain why AT costs more than MT? Does it really cost more to mass produce or it's a sort of luxury tax?
Old 14th November 2007, 18:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Indian people these days or say till now dont fancy Automatic transmission and thats solely due to the non-availability and less exposure.

people who have driven automatic transmission cars in other countries(so many of us) will surely vouch for the ease of driving an automatic car offers when compared to a manual transmission(Stick) car.

just consider that one foot will always be free and on top of it using cruise control sometimes will get both feet free till u brake at least will make long journeys relaxing.

so we surely have a gud future for automatic transmission cars in india.

one question though for GTO

just curious to know whether we are doing this poll on behest of TATA ?

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 14th November 2007 at 18:27.
Old 14th November 2007, 20:12   #36
Team-BHP Support

A lot of senior citizens buy indicas - it has an appeal to them!
Old 14th November 2007, 20:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

The proposal sounds good on paper and it wont take much for TATA to make it happen, but the problem is the profile of the typical Indica customer.

Typical Indica customer is a extreme VFM seeking person (if not a taxi customer) and one of the main reasons for the purchase was the great FE. He is willing to give up 'fit & finish', 'snob value', 'refinement' for the low price, sturdyness and FE. I doubt if such a customer can appreciate an auto.

Another point is that most of them of new to car driving and still aren't fed up with the gear shifting part. Plus there is always the fear of poor resale value.

Of course, depending on how the Gen2 Indica shapes up, all this may change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
the few inexpensive auto's that were out there - Zen & Santro, never really did well. Those were priced well within the 5 lakh barrier and mated to very well selling models.
I think the Santro auto has done really well considering that India has no history in autos. so much that its succesor, the i-10 gets an auto as well. It was Zen, Esteem, Cielo etc that flopped.

Last edited by Mpower : 14th November 2007 at 23:38.
Old 14th November 2007, 20:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Its actually a brilliant idea. How about paddle shifters?
Old 14th November 2007, 22:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
the few inexpensive auto's that were out there - Zen & Santro, never really did well. Those were priced well within the 5 lakh barrier and mated to very well selling models.
Market was not ripe enough to accept those products at the time when they were launched and so it has got nothing to do with pricing or the product.

Tata's have already got a decent track record of breaking into unchartered territories. Case in point is the marina, till then station wagons was unheard of or market for them was minuscule, but TATA's with their right pricing and product were able to make a mark.

Secondly, however good the product maybe, auto transmission to be accepted as a concept needs to be grilled into the psyche of the customer. Hence any such product launch should be accompanied by a marketing blitzkrieg to educate the customer, again TATA's with their financial and marketing wherewithal should be achieve a fair degree of success.

my 79paisa.

regards
krishna.
Old 14th November 2007, 22:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A lot of senior citizens buy indicas - it has an appeal to them!

Its bulletproof and takes hits before any to the occupants
Old 14th November 2007, 23:38   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Can someone explain why AT costs more than MT? Does it really cost more to mass produce or it's a sort of luxury tax?
There are different levels of complexity, but most AT boxes are vastly more complex than manuals. Google around, take a look at some pictures of the inside workings.

A cheaply-engineered auto could be a disaster, and end up being quoted as the reason why autos are 'no good' for years ahead.
Old 15th November 2007, 09:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Even if Tata does launch an AT in Indica, they should also have the manual as a switch (like in petrol/LPG). That way, if their AT packs up soon, at least the consumer can use the manual shift instead of pushing it manually!
Old 15th November 2007, 10:28   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am pleasantly surprised to see the results of the poll; unexpectedly, the poll is in favour of an automatic Indica. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Even if Tata does launch an AT in Indica, they should also have the manual as a switch (like in petrol/LPG). That way, if their AT packs up soon, at least the consumer can use the manual shift instead of pushing it manually!
LOL! Innovative, but I dont think thats a realistic suggestion.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
man, its not like power windows. LOL. Maybe TATA can gift pack a MT gear box to every customer who opts for a AT.
Old 15th November 2007, 12:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
man, its not like power windows. LOL. Maybe TATA can gift pack a MT gear box to every customer who opts for a AT.
If they do otherway round then INDIA will buy AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks