Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 04:01   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
like the i10 as well if u get auto no sunroof how lameeee. best bit sunroof is not by hyundai its by webasto.
I can make no sense out of this sentence! What does it mean?
Also, is the shift key broken?
Old 28th November 2007, 12:22   #32

A/T cars in India are usually on a lower model.. If somebody wants to spend the money and buy the fully loaded variant with A/T, it is not possible.. Got my Santro AT 2 years ago.. went to great length to get a XO automatic.. the best answer i got from Hyundai was "Give us the order for 5 cars and we will have it manufactured" Maybe but i feel A/T should be offered as an option on all models.. there might be more takers. Also.. the mileage.. what is expected ? i get something like 7.5 -8 with A/C.. and 9.5 - 10 without.. is this what is expected ? Can somebody with a Santro A/T confirm this ?

Getting used to a A/T guess is very easy.. took me a couple hours only.. even keep on switching between my Santro AT and stick Accent or Optra Magnum very frequently.. never had an issue.. but the auto is definitely a lot more relaxing..
Old 28th November 2007, 13:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Santro AT mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raibat View Post
Also.. the mileage.. what is expected ? i get something like 7.5 -8 with A/C.. and 9.5 - 10 without.. is this what is expected ? Can somebody with a Santro A/T confirm this ?

Getting used to a A/T guess is very easy.. took me a couple hours only.. even keep on switching between my Santro AT and stick Accent or Optra Magnum very frequently.. never had an issue.. but the auto is definitely a lot more relaxing..
Hi Raibat, I bought a Santro AT for my wife in Feb. this year. It gives me 11.5km/l with A/C in city traffic. It would be more, I feel, if it wasn't for the thicker tyres I have on it - one size up from stock. The only thing we do to boost mileage is to shift to neutral on long red lights or stops. Try that and maybe your mileage will go up. In the santro AT you don't need to press the shift button to change between neutral and drive - just need to move the lever between those two positions. Also make sure that overdrive is turned on i.e. "OD Off" should not be lighted in the intrument cluster. Hope this helps.
Old 28th November 2007, 15:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Ready for automatics?

Did anyone see the story in the Delhi edition of Times of India today about an accident involving a Civic automatic on Ring Road? It's on page 5.
Now, if anyone wonders whether Indians are ready for automatics, you have to read this story. The immediate answer will be - heck no!
Apparently the owner of the Civic, which was, incidentally, a brand new car with ribbon on bonnet and all, had stepped out of his car on the side of the road. While getting back in he "accidentally" stepped on the accelerator and the car took off and hit a brand new Alto.
The Civic was badly damaged - there is a picture with the news story.
I can't figure what he was trying to do. If the car moved on pressing the accelerator it was in drive. Was he walking alongside his new possession as it creeped forward - enamored by the technology?
What is funnier is that when the car kicked forward he was thrown out?!?!? Luckily he wasn't hurt.
Most bizzare.
Old 28th November 2007, 17:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi StarScream,

> The only thing we do to boost mileage is to shift to neutral on long red lights
> or stops. Try that and maybe your mileage will go up.

A very good advice. It would make a lot of difference in stop and go traffic or places with traffic lights. Best is to make a habit of it. I would also recommend a firm foot on the brake pedal when the car is stopped with the engine running for safety.

> In the santro AT you don't need to press the shift button to change
> between neutral and drive - just need to move the lever between those
> two positions.

This would be the norm for all automatics, I guess! It is so in my City CVT. Even D to S is free of any button pressing. My overall mileage for the CVT has been 13.67kpl over 2500kms with AC on.

>Also make sure that overdrive is turned on i.e. "OD Off" should not be lighted >in the intrument cluster.

This too is good as this is something which is easily overlooked. Since the ratios are all selected automatically, leaving this on would not affect driveability in level roads.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 34199 kms, 13.96 kpl, 46km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 2502 kms, 13.67 kpl, 41km/day)
Old 28th November 2007, 20:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi StarScream,

>Also make sure that overdrive is turned on i.e. "OD Off" should not be lighted >in the intrument cluster.

This too is good as this is something which is easily overlooked. Since the ratios are all selected automatically, leaving this on would not affect driveability in level roads.
Having the "OD off" will make a difference to your mileage. The Santro automatic will not shift into the fourth gear (over-drive). This button is meant to be used when driving in very hilly conditions where the transmission might keep shifting between third and fourth constantly resulting in transmission over-heating. Keeping OD off in hilly terrain will prevent the automatic into going into over-drive but maintain power in 3rd gear.
Old 29th November 2007, 00:20   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Hi Raibat, I bought a Santro AT for my wife in Feb. this year. It gives me 11.5km/l with A/C in city traffic. It would be more, I feel, if it wasn't for the thicker tyres I have on it - one size up from stock. The only thing we do to boost mileage is to shift to neutral on long red lights or stops. Try that and maybe your mileage will go up. In the santro AT you don't need to press the shift button to change between neutral and drive - just need to move the lever between those two positions. Also make sure that overdrive is turned on i.e. "OD Off" should not be lighted in the intrument cluster. Hope this helps.
yup, I believe i do follow all of those basic stuff. I put it to neutral as soon as i know i am going to stop and let the car roll before i apply brakes.. OD is always on.. don't press the shift button while moving from N to D.. Stock rubber.. have alloys though.. Have tried driving in a way so i do not over revv the engine.. tried to drive with over revv'ng the engine.. had the car checked by two different hyundai workshops atleast thrice for milage.. pretty much given up at this point.. but i do feel that the service guy has decreased the flow of fuel to the engine and that makes it maybe over revv a bit.. followiing stick rules to increase milage i guess

wow.. 11.5 .. i have never never seen 11.5 on my car .. a full talk takes me maybe 300 odd kms. Anybody know any good workshops to the get the car finetuned for the AT.. Hyundai workshops claims they do not know much abt the AT or expected average to get.. so they might be tuning it wrong.
Old 29th November 2007, 08:57   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Did anyone see the story in the Delhi edition of Times of India today about an accident involving a Civic automatic on Ring Road? It's on page 5.
Now, if anyone wonders whether Indians are ready for automatics, you have to read this story. The immediate answer will be - heck no!
Apparently the owner of the Civic, which was, incidentally, a brand new car with ribbon on bonnet and all, had stepped out of his car on the side of the road. While getting back in he "accidentally" stepped on the accelerator and the car took off and hit a brand new Alto.
The Civic was badly damaged - there is a picture with the news story.
I can't figure what he was trying to do. If the car moved on pressing the accelerator it was in drive. Was he walking alongside his new possession as it creeped forward - enamored by the technology?
What is funnier is that when the car kicked forward he was thrown out?!?!? Luckily he wasn't hurt.
Most bizzare.
what nonsense new there idiots make they only know. dont u have to turn the car off and get out then it goes nowhere without u. plus in my cvt one u shift in D it goes to S and L without pressing the button and even in N from N to D as well without button but from N to R u need to press the button so u make no mistakes. same with P as well from start u have to press the brakes and start off. gosh dumb and more dumb. this can happen in manual as well and does too as a matter of fact. car is in 1st gear ppl just start it up and there it goes a lil ahead, if u have a bad habit of bumpeer to bumper parking there u go its a HIT then. post the pic anyways should be funny to see
Old 29th November 2007, 16:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raibat View Post
Anybody know any good workshops to the get the car finetuned for the AT.. Hyundai workshops claims they do not know much abt the AT or expected average to get.. so they might be tuning it wrong.
Raibat, have you tried Hyundai Motor Plaza on Mathura Road? Being company owned it is by far the best place for Hyundai service in NCR. I do think your mileage is low - it may be worth your while to take it to them. I bought my santro AT from Motor Plaza and get it serviced there .
Old 29th November 2007, 16:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
what nonsense new there idiots make they only know. dont u have to turn the car off and get out then it goes nowhere without u. plus in my cvt one u shift in D it goes to S and L without pressing the button and even in N from N to D as well without button but from N to R u need to press the button so u make no mistakes. same with P as well from start u have to press the brakes and start off. gosh dumb and more dumb. this can happen in manual as well and does too as a matter of fact. car is in 1st gear ppl just start it up and there it goes a lil ahead, if u have a bad habit of bumpeer to bumper parking there u go its a HIT then. post the pic anyways should be funny to see
will try and dig it up and post.
Old 12th December 2007, 20:04   #41
BHPian

i10 automatic

Hi Guys,
Today I got call from Hyundai dealers, stating bookings for i10 automatic began. They claim 4 weeks waiting. They told me that i10 automatic will launch in autoexpo 08 and then available for delivery.

Any idea?
Old 12th December 2007, 23:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
Hi Guys,
Today I got call from Hyundai dealers, stating bookings for i10 automatic began. They claim 4 weeks waiting. They told me that i10 automatic will launch in autoexpo 08 and then available for delivery.

Any idea?
Any idea of i10 CRDi VGT?
Old 13th December 2007, 02:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice auto under 10 lacs? Look no further than the NHC CVT!
i hate the rubberband effect and the highway mannners of NHC,i irritates on highways.
Old 13th December 2007, 16:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
i hate the rubberband effect and the highway mannners of NHC,i irritates on highways.
that's true, the City ain't the best handler on highways
Old 13th December 2007, 19:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
Any idea of i10 CRDi VGT?
No idea about i10 CRDI.

Most Viewed